Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon CoolPIX 5700

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon CoolPIX 5700

 
 
Richard Tomkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2004
Nikon CoolPIX 5700


I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.

My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty into
the card before being able to take another shot.

If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number of
manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or not.
In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and will
it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.

Appreciate all knowledgeable answers.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Timmy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:41:39 -0400, "Richard Tomkins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nikon CoolPIX 5700
>
>
>I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
>
>My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty into
>the card before being able to take another shot.
>
>If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number of
>manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or not.
>In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and will
>it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.
>
>Appreciate all knowledgeable answers.
>



Try posting at: http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cooter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
I also use a CP5700 and RAW mode. I have 12x cards and if I shoot 3 shots in
quick succession, it will take about 3-1/2 minutes to write them completely,
or just over a minute each. You are probably aware that you can shoot the
second and third exposure while the first is writing to the card, but three
in succession seems to be the limit.

I have read in previous posts that there is a CF card speed limit that the
CP5700 can take advantage of, but I don't remember what it is. I'm almost
sure it's in the range of 12x or so, so a 40x or 60x card would not be worth
the extra cost. Hope this helps.

"Richard Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsb2%c.11485$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nikon CoolPIX 5700
>
>
> I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
>
> My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty

into
> the card before being able to take another shot.
>
> If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number

of
> manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or

not.
> In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and

will
> it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.
>
> Appreciate all knowledgeable answers.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2004
On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:41:39 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Richard Tomkins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nikon CoolPIX 5700
>
>
>I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
>
>My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty into
>the card before being able to take another shot.
>
>If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number of
>manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or not.
>In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and will
>it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.


The 57o0 does not support WA cards. I get the same speed from my old 128MB
8x Lexar as a newer 40xWA Lexar.

__________________________________________________ ______
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank ess
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2004
Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:41:39 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Richard
> Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Nikon CoolPIX 5700
>>
>>
>> I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
>>
>> My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to
>> empty into the card before being able to take another shot.
>>
>> If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a
>> number of manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in
>> saving images, or not. In other words, will this model of camera
>> support the faster cards and will it actually make use of them at
>> the higher speeds.

>
> The 57o0 does not support WA cards. I get the same speed from my old
> 128MB 8x Lexar as a newer 40xWA Lexar.
>


The CP8700 does take advantage of the technology, and the effect of a
40X card is reMARKable.


--
Frank ess


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2004
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:37:43 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>The CP8700 does take advantage of the technology, and the effect of a
>40X card is reMARKable.


I know, it would be nice if a firmware update would provide this capability
to 5700 owners, but I'm not holding my breath.
__________________________________________________ ______
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Tomkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2004
Thankyou everyone for the response.

You just saved me a bundle. I guess I'll just have to put up with this slow
speed in RAW mode and accommodate it as best I can. Thank goodness I kept my
NIKON F and all the various lenses.

Maybe in the next two years or so, there will be some better technology
available. For now, my film efforts still do better than Digital, especially
distance shots. I have a 900 mm lens for the F and the 5700 can't begin to
touch that.



"Richard Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsb2%c.11485$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nikon CoolPIX 5700
>
>
> I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
>
> My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty

into
> the card before being able to take another shot.
>
> If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number

of
> manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or

not.
> In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and

will
> it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.
>
> Appreciate all knowledgeable answers.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2004
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:08:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Cooter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I also use a CP5700 and RAW mode. I have 12x cards and if I shoot 3 shots in
>quick succession, it will take about 3-1/2 minutes to write them completely,
>or just over a minute each. You are probably aware that you can shoot the
>second and third exposure while the first is writing to the card, but three
>in succession seems to be the limit.


That is not my experience:

Lexar 128MB 8x usb enabled and 1GB 40xWA usb enabled cards write in nearly
the same amount of time, that being approx 20 sec per NEF file, either
separately or in threes. Write buffer hold three NEF and once one is
written to the card you can take another.
__________________________________________________ ______
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Cooter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2004
We must be doing something differently. I have timed the write time for
three successive exposures with a stopwatch and it always takes in excess of
three minutes. Practical experience backs this up. I am using conventional
Viking 256 MB cards. I recall reading in one of the CP5700 reviews that a
NEF took more than 1 minute to write. What are you doing to get a write in
20 seconds?

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 14:08:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Cooter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I also use a CP5700 and RAW mode. I have 12x cards and if I shoot 3 shots

in
> >quick succession, it will take about 3-1/2 minutes to write them

completely,
> >or just over a minute each. You are probably aware that you can shoot the
> >second and third exposure while the first is writing to the card, but

three
> >in succession seems to be the limit.

>
> That is not my experience:
>
> Lexar 128MB 8x usb enabled and 1GB 40xWA usb enabled cards write in nearly
> the same amount of time, that being approx 20 sec per NEF file, either
> separately or in threes. Write buffer hold three NEF and once one is
> written to the card you can take another.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
> http://EdwardGRuf.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Tomkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2004
Seems like there is some dissention in the ranks here.
Is it possible that someone is selling Compact Flash cards that are 1X at a
premium price and have a fake label on them?

rtt

The reason I had asked is that if there was a difference, then I'd purchase
over the internet as they are cheaper than going to a local store. The local
stores have them all in blister packs and don't like to open a package to
let you try them.

"Richard Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:413f9d19$1_4@127.0.0.1...
> Thankyou everyone for the response.
>
> You just saved me a bundle. I guess I'll just have to put up with this

slow
> speed in RAW mode and accommodate it as best I can. Thank goodness I kept

my
> NIKON F and all the various lenses.
>
> Maybe in the next two years or so, there will be some better technology
> available. For now, my film efforts still do better than Digital,

especially
> distance shots. I have a 900 mm lens for the F and the 5700 can't begin to
> touch that.
>
>
>
> "Richard Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsb2%c.11485$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Nikon CoolPIX 5700
> >
> >
> > I have been using RAW mode more often than not recently.
> >
> > My CF cards are all 1X speed, so I end up waiting fo rthe CCD to empty

> into
> > the card before being able to take another shot.
> >
> > If I were to purchase one of the newer 60X cards made by any of a number

> of
> > manufacturers, will I actually see an improvement in saving images, or

> not.
> > In other words, will this model of camera support the faster cards and

> will
> > it actually make use of them at the higher speeds.
> >
> > Appreciate all knowledgeable answers.
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Coolpix 5700 or Nikon D100 Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 4 05-17-2004 03:11 AM
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Off to Nikon for Repair Lawrence L'Hote Digital Photography 0 10-13-2003 08:11 PM
Nikon Coolpix 775 or Nikon Coolpix 2500 Larry R Harrison Jr Digital Photography 0 08-02-2003 03:17 PM
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Burnell Stover Digital Photography 28 07-21-2003 03:17 PM
Re: Which Format to save JPG (NIKON CoolPix 5700) Ed Ruf Digital Photography 0 07-15-2003 10:36 PM



Advertisments