Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ? fastest way to get data from CF card to PC

? fastest way to get data from CF card to PC

John J

I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
takes about 10 minutes.

The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
quickest? TIA.

JJ

YoYo

Thats slow... I go from a 512mb card of
photos to a CD in less then 3 minutes.
Thats with a Sandisk ImageMate reader.

"John J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:chhgrs$2kc9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to

dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
> takes about 10 minutes.
>
> The question, what is the fastest

method to dump a CF card to PC?
> Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers

available and which have proven to be
the
> quickest? TIA.
>
> JJ

Rita Berkowitz

"John J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:chhgrs$2kc9$(E-Mail Removed)...

>I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
> takes about 10 minutes.
>
> The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
> Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
> quickest? TIA.

John, I like the SCSI units that you usually find on eBay for under $10.
I'm using a Spyrus SCSI-2 unit for my CF cards and it blows USB 1&2 away.
You can also use an Litronics Argus 2102. Here's one on eBay for $6.99 plus
shipping:

If you don't presently have a SCSI controller in your PC you should use an
Adaptec AHA-2940AU with this unit.

Probably the only thing USB readers have going for them is they are Plug &
Play with one thin cable. If you're not familiar with SCSI you might have a
learning curve to overcome, but once setup you will never use USB for these
reader/writers. Good luck.

Rita

Gadgets

Some IDE ones here:
http://www.pccasegear.com/category105_1.htm

From what I've seen in USB1 card readers, the card speed makes a huge
difference to transfer times. USB1 is obviously very limiting though...

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Bob Williams

John J wrote:
> I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
> takes about 10 minutes.
>
> The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
> Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
> quickest? TIA.
>
> JJ

With USB1, the reader is probably the rate limiting factor.
With USB2, (your case) the card itself may be the limiting factor.
If your 1 GB card is a high speed one, you may get a shorter download
time from a SCSI based reader. They are a little hard to find and of
course you will need a SCSI interface card to go with it.
Bob Williams

Martin Francis

"John J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:chhgrs$2kc9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
> takes about 10 minutes.
>
> The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
> Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
> quickest? TIA.

Certain theoretical limitations here- your USB2.0, if supplied via an add-in
board in a PCI slot, is limited by your ATA speed. A recent PC would have
SATA, which is 150MB/sec max- mine is slightly older, and is only 133MB/sec.
This shouldn't matter much, but it does mean your theoretical 400Mb/sec from
USB2 ain't gonna happen.

Then you have to consider read speed- AFAICT, only a few manufacturers are
currently quoting read as well as write speed, and Sandisk claim their Ultra
II and Extreme cards read 10Mb/sec. The only system that should have a
problem reading that at top speed is USB1.1- using IDE or the like won't
help.

Your reader is shifting about 1.7Mb/sec, or say 12x read speed. A 40x would
shift more like 6Mb/sec, and cut your copy times down to about 3 minutes. So
if you want fast read speeds, you need a faster card.

no, and yes...."

Ron Hunter

John J wrote:

> I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each card
> takes about 10 minutes.
>
> The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
> Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be the
> quickest? TIA.
>
> JJ

Probably Firewire, at this time, however, the max rate may be limited by
the CF card itself. Each one has its own controller chip, and a max
data rate is inherent in the design.

From your numbers, you are getting only slightly better figures from
your USB 2.0 reader than you would get from a USB 1.1 reader. This
suggests that the card is running at its maximum rate. A faster card is
indicated.

John J

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:chhgrs$2kc9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I use a USB 2.0 multi card reader to dump my 1GB CF cards to PC. Each

card
> > takes about 10 minutes.
> >
> > The question, what is the fastest method to dump a CF card to PC?
> > Are IDE, SATA, SCSI card readers available and which have proven to be

the
> > quickest? TIA.

> John, I like the SCSI units that you usually find on eBay for under $10.
> I'm using a Spyrus SCSI-2 unit for my CF cards and it blows USB 1&2 away.
> You can also use an Litronics Argus 2102. Here's one on eBay for $6.99

plus
> shipping:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5121529323
>
> If you don't presently have a SCSI controller in your PC you should use an
> Adaptec AHA-2940AU with this unit.
>
> Probably the only thing USB readers have going for them is they are Plug &
> Play with one thin cable. If you're not familiar with SCSI you might have

> learning curve to overcome, but once setup you will never use USB for

these
> reader/writers. Good luck.
>

> Rita

Thanks Rita
Will follow your instructions.
JJ

Dan Wojciechowski

"Martin Francis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:chicnt$978$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Certain theoretical limitations here- your USB2.0, if supplied via an add-in
> board in a PCI slot, is limited by your ATA speed. A recent PC would have
> SATA, which is 150MB/sec max- mine is slightly older, and is only 133MB/sec.
> This shouldn't matter much, but it does mean your theoretical 400Mb/sec from
> USB2 ain't gonna happen.

Martin:

A little clarification here:

Your ATA connection maximum is 133MB/s. (Mega Bytes)
Your USB2 connection maximum is 400Mb/s. (Mega Bits)
Realistically, the USB2 connection isn't going to even give you 40MB/s. (Mega Bytes).

So the limiting factor is definitely the USB2, not the ATA connection.

--
Dan (Woj...) dmaster at lucent dot com
----------------------------------

Ron Hunter

Dan Wojciechowski wrote:

> "Martin Francis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:chicnt$978$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Certain theoretical limitations here- your USB2.0, if supplied via an add-in
>>board in a PCI slot, is limited by your ATA speed. A recent PC would have
>>SATA, which is 150MB/sec max- mine is slightly older, and is only 133MB/sec.
>>This shouldn't matter much, but it does mean your theoretical 400Mb/sec from
>>USB2 ain't gonna happen.

> Martin:
>
> A little clarification here:
>
> Your ATA connection maximum is 133MB/s. (Mega Bytes)
> Your USB2 connection maximum is 400Mb/s. (Mega Bits)
> Realistically, the USB2 connection isn't going to even give you 40MB/s. (Mega Bytes).
>
> So the limiting factor is definitely the USB2, not the ATA connection.

Actually, USB 2.0 max is 480mbps, but in this context, it doesn't
matter. Still not up to ATA rates.