Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Numbering your photos

Numbering your photos

Articus Drools

Try Irfan view

It is free (non-commercial licence) It is good

It is free and good

Google for IrfanView

Once installed look for Batch Edit

I think commercial users has to pay a miniscule registration fee otherwise
(and unless details have changed) it is free to good homes

Articus

ps IrfanView does far more than help renaming files

"Richard Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same
> numbering.
> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do
> about
> this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
> re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give
> me
> some feed back?
>
> Richard

kashe@sonic.net

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:22:55 -0500, Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Richard Miller wrote:
>
>> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
>> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
>> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
>> this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
>> re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
>> some feed back?

>There could be a solution.
>
>But.. There are several hundred makes and models of digital cameras
>out there. There are dozens of ways to download the files from the
>camera to the computer.. Depending on the operating system, this can be
>done directly or in some cases it must be done through software.
>
>If you were to specify what camera you are using and how you download
>pictures, you might get a precise answer.

If nothing else, go carefully through all the menu options on
your camera and look for items with the word "number" or "reset" in
them. On a Canon A40 it's "File No. Reset". If set to "Off" the
numbers continue ascending from folder to folder.

bob

"Richard Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same
> numbering. Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is.
> Anything I can do about this? When I want to combined pictures from
> different folders I have to re-name each one of them. This doesn't
> sound right to me. Can anyone give me some feed back?
>
> Richard

As others have said, you might be able to change a setting in your camera.

As far as the photos already have go, if you want to sequentially renumber
them, PIE, from picmeta software ( http://www.picmeta.com/ ), will do a
good job. They have a free demo.

My camera sequentially numbers by default, and I kind of like it.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Articus Drools

I wouldn't have it any other way Bob.

At first I thought the numbering a bit twee but once there are a few images
on the hard drive it really does help

I may be missing the point - if so humble apologies all - but the theme may
be touching on the hoary old chestnut of image file management

There are 2 beauts on the go that compliment other software applications
wonderfully

Try googling on
picasa
xnview

and consider notions such as keyword searching so for all those images of
the vacation to Italy in August 2004 could have the following keywords:

vacation august italy 2004

hmm scratch that - think of fields

revising keywords accordingly gives
vacation loretto italy august 2004

I am sure you get the picture (Boom! Boom!)

Articus

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns955BA2EDBD78Abobatcarolnet@207.69.154.203. ..
> "Richard Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
>> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same
>> numbering. Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is.
>> Anything I can do about this? When I want to combined pictures from
>> different folders I have to re-name each one of them. This doesn't
>> sound right to me. Can anyone give me some feed back?
>>
>> Richard
>>

> As others have said, you might be able to change a setting in your camera.
>
> As far as the photos already have go, if you want to sequentially renumber
> them, PIE, from picmeta software ( http://www.picmeta.com/ ), will do a
> good job. They have a free demo.
>
> My camera sequentially numbers by default, and I kind of like it.
>
> Bob
>
> --
> Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Ken Oaf

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:31:08 -0700, "Richard Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
> this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
> re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
> some feed back?

The numbering system used on every digital camera is about as useful as having
an ashtray on a motorbike.

Rename your photos using a description of what the image actually is. As an
example, I might take pictures at a picnic. I will select the lot in Windows XP
and rename them all to <date>_Picnic. Windows will add a number to each. Then
rename each one to describe what the image is of. So you might end up with an
image named 050604_Picnic_045_Aunty_Jane_With_Kids_Swing or similar.

That seems like a lot of work but you will be very pleased in a few years time
if you have to find a particular image.

chris French

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Oaf
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:31:08 -0700, "Richard Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
>> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
>> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is.

>The numbering system used on every digital camera is about as useful as having
>an ashtray on a motorbike.
>
>Rename your photos using a description of what the image actually is

For me it just doesn't work, these sort of things (as another poster
suggested) take more time than I want to spend - so I don't do it, gets
complicated if you want to indicate multiple 'categories' and finding
images in the future gets harder and harder as the number of images
increases.

I prefer to use cataloguing software to do this as it is much more
flexible, and quicker to use - hence I do it.
--
Chris French

Paul J Gans

Richard Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
>numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
>Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
>this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
>re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
>some feed back?

>Richard

What is the camera and what software are you using to do
the download?

----- Paul J. Gans

John Wright

Windows XP allows you to rename multiple files with just one operation.
Simply select all of them with your mouse (using CTRL or SHIFT key in
Explorer), click mouse right button, select "rename" from the menu that pops
up. With the cursor placed on one of the files, type your new name. If you
type a name with a number within parenthesis, e.g. "20040906_picnic(37)",
Windows XP explorer will use it as the starting number and will rename all
the files consecutively, as in 20040906_picnic(37), 20040906_picnic(3 etc.
If this is all you want to do, you need no other software.

Regards - JW

Beowulf

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:19:07 +1000, John Wright wrote:

> Windows XP allows you to rename multiple files with just one operation...

Awesome, I was unaware of this WIndowsXP capability. Good tip to know!

--
"It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

David Dyer-Bennet

Ken Oaf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 08:31:08 -0700, "Richard Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Every time I download my photos to my computer the camera starts it's
>> numbering back to 00001. Now I have 50 folders with all the same numbering.
>> Tech support from gateway said that's the way it is. Anything I can do about
>> this? When I want to combined pictures from different folders I have to
>> re-name each one of them. This doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone give me
>> some feed back?

> The numbering system used on every digital camera is about as useful as having
> an ashtray on a motorbike.
>
> Rename your photos using a description of what the image actually is. As an
> example, I might take pictures at a picnic. I will select the lot in Windows XP
> and rename them all to <date>_Picnic. Windows will add a number to each. Then
> rename each one to describe what the image is of. So you might end up with an
> image named 050604_Picnic_045_Aunty_Jane_With_Kids_Swing or similar.
>
> That seems like a lot of work but you will be very pleased in a few years time
> if you have to find a particular image.

No I won't, because I will have renamed it something shorter and more
convenient each place I used it -- probably something *different*. So
I'll have one hell of a time matching up the copy somebody ripped off
my website and reused with my original.

Instead, put the information in IPTC fields; that's what they're there
for.