Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can anyone advise on laptops and Wifi (UK)

Can anyone advise on laptops and Wifi (UK)

Mr.Will

Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.

I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you need
to be near a port for that.

Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
at when connecting this way/

If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful. Im
sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
laptops or WIFI working.

Mr.Will

;o\)-max-

"Mr.Will"
> Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
> This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
>
> I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
> equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
> bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
> what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you need
> to be near a port for that.
>
> Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
> at when connecting this way/
>
> If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful. Im
> sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
> laptops or WIFI working.
>
> Mr.Will

Surely your agency has experience in this area - why don't
you ask them..! They may even have their own satelite
connection.. ;o))-max-

Mr.Will

";o)-max-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aR6_c.42962$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "Mr.Will"
> > Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
> > This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
> >
> > I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
> > equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
> > bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
> > what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you

need
> > to be near a port for that.
> >
> > Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one

looking
> > at when connecting this way/
> >
> > If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most

grateful. Im
> > sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
> > laptops or WIFI working.
> >
> > Mr.Will

> Surely your agency has experience in this area - why don't
> you ask them..! They may even have their own satelite
> connection.. ;o))-max-

I did, but all their experience is USA-side and they are wanting to break
ground in the UK if that makes sense.

Mr.Will

Steven

you need a laptop with wifi built in or a card to go into the laptop.
Yes you need to be close to use the wifi hotspot. this web site will
locate all wifi hotspots for you http://www.wifi411.com/. You cold
take your photos then at your home email or send them to the agency I
dont really think they need them that fast.

Steve

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:51:21 GMT, "Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
>This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
>
>I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
>equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
>bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
>what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you need
>to be near a port for that.
>
>Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
>at when connecting this way/
>
>If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful. Im
>sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
>laptops or WIFI working.
>
>Mr.Will

Martin Francis

"Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jz6_c.531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
> This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
>
> I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
> equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
> bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
> what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you

need
> to be near a port for that.
>
> Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
> at when connecting this way/
>
> If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful.

Im
> sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
> laptops or WIFI working.

Wi-Fi is wireless networking- it is very fast, depending on what you have
the transfer speeds are in the mb/sec. Obviously, as it's networking this is
only good for transferring to another wi-fi computer nearby- a few metres,
ideally. If you need to send photos across the internet, you don't
necessarily need Wi-Fi... you need broadband internet access.

That is a matter for wiser people than I, as I still use 56Kbps internet.
Assuming you have a Wi-Fi laptop, you should be able to find a Wi-Fi
internet access point- they seem fairly common in Birmingham, UK, but it
*is* the second city- to get your laptop online and email your photos to
whoever needs it.

no, and yes...."

Articus Drools

There is a trial in Bristol

Wifi was tried in the UK a few years ago

last time I looked even the wifi website were out of date and the whole
thing had a Marie Celeste feel about it

Conference venues, and some private venues provide wifi by pre-arrangement

if i remember correctly the issues are security related

Articus

"Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jz6_c.531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
> This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
>
> I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
> equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
> bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
> what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you
> need
> to be near a port for that.
>
> Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
> at when connecting this way/
>
> If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful.
> Im
> sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
> laptops or WIFI working.
>
> Mr.Will

Clyde Torres

"Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jz6_c.531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
> This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
>
> I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
> equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
> bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
> what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you

need
> to be near a port for that.
>
> Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
> at when connecting this way/
>
> If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful.

Im
> sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
> laptops or WIFI working.
>
> Mr.Will

Mr. Will,

I am not at the University of Kentucky, but I will relate to you what I do
here in the colonies.

I travel all over the USA and have the need to send rather large design
files over the internet to clients located all over the place. I have found
that by driving around, I can pick up people's WiFi routers. Some of them
are connected to the internet, some aren't. Typically if someone has WiFi,
either 802.11b or 802.11g, they have broadband access to the internet.
Also, typically, my large files do not bog down their connection, since they
typically aren't home during the day. I can tell this, because I know how
long it takes to transmit these files, and if I were creating a bottleneck,
I would know it. Of course all this assumes that the link is not encrypted
(WEP), and very few are.

Also, in the USA, there are free and legitimate WiFi links all over the
place. Panera Bread is one example, and they are all over the USA. I
typically work in about eight USA cities and have a good feel for where all
the free and legitimate links are. If I am in a hurry, like I'm going to
lunch, and I'm not near a free link, then I will do a drive by connection to
someone's unencrypted link. I will have everything ready to go, i.e., the
email is already set up such that all I have to do is connect, send, receive
and drive off.

You might even get lucky and connect right there at your work location to
someone near you. You need the WiFi equipment to verify this, of course.

I have never had a problem with this method.

Clyde Torres

Lisa Horton

WiFi is designed for local networking, not for long distance or wide
areas.

You may want to look into a cellular modem card for your laptop. This
will give you Internet access wherever you get a phone signal (from your
provider). It is not, however, free like driving around looking for
open WiFi networks is.

Lisa

"Mr.Will" wrote:

> Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
> This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
>
> I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
> equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
> bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
> what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you need
> to be near a port for that.
>
> Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
> at when connecting this way/
>
> If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful. Im
> sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
> laptops or WIFI working.
>
> Mr.Will

David Dyer-Bennet

"Mr.Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Recently I got in with a photo wire agency who need photographs quickly.
> This venture is USA-based but needs photographs from the UK.
>
> I thought it would be a simple matter of buying laptop and wireless
> equipment, however I am scratching my head in dismay. From what I gather
> bluetooth is through a phone, but unreliable and slow, the WIFI thing is
> what is on tv with the Centrino "ampitheatre" show, but apparently you need
> to be near a port for that.
>
> Are WIFI ports common now in the UK, and what sort of speed is one looking
> at when connecting this way/
>
> If anyone can shed ANY light on what Im asking, I would be most grateful. Im
> sorry if the questions are phrased badly, I honestly havent a clue about
> laptops or WIFI working.

I most commonly hear "WIFI hot-spot" or "Wireless Access Point" for
that.

In the UK, it might be worth looking into 3G phones/service, which
gives much faster data connectivity than older phones and services.
I'm not there so I don't know how good coverage is or what exactly is
available. (Then the laptop needs to connect to the phone via cable
or bluetooth.)

David Dyer-Bennet

Lisa Horton <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> WiFi is designed for local networking, not for long distance or wide
> areas.

True, and not true. Nearly every place with a WiFi access point is
connected to the Internet via broadband, and you can get to the
internet through the WiFi connection.