Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is the word on an update to the DRebel with the release of the 20D???

What is the word on an update to the DRebel with the release of the 20D???

Amy

I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.

What's the word??

Thanks,

Amy

John McWilliams

Amy wrote:

> I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
>
> What's the word??

Several:
1.) Don't!

2.) Good idea!
because:
a.
b.
c.
3.) Wait for what?

It's moot that the D-Rebel will at some point be superseded by a better
camera at about the same price point, and that's also true for virtually
every camera and computer ever made. Better, faster more storage,
features etc. for same or even less money down the road.

But the D-rebel will still take great pix 3 years from now, and you can
get your 24 MP full sensor D 50 (Ooops, the next no. already exists, no?
the D 60) with GPS and all for $1200.00. Give or take a few magnitudes.

--

John McWilliams

Michael Meissner

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Amy) writes:

> I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
>
> What's the word??

Well given Canon has just announced the 20D, I suspect that they won't replace
the drebel until at least spring. Besides, how much room for stripping down
features is left? The drebel is already pretty stripped down IMHO.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Martin Francis

"Amy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
>
> What's the word??

Word is, if you keep waiting for the next model up, you'll never take any
photographs. The Digital Rebel (300D) is a fine camera, and a couple extra
million pixels and AF points won't make you any better or worse at taking
pictures, and no-one is going to peer at your superb shots and say "hmm,
that's not really high enough resolution". If they do, inform them that
there's a guy standing *just over there* who is still using a D30, that'll
get rid of 'em.

FWIW, I don't think there will be a DRebel 2 this year.

no, and yes...."

Mark B.

"Amy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
>
> What's the word??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Amy

It's less than a year old, I wouldn't expect an update until at least Spring
'05.

Mark

David J. Littleboy

"Amy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
>
> What's the word??

The 20D is the Drebel update. It's got the drebel's flash, the drebel's
noisy shutter, the drebel's lens mount, the drebel's body size/weight, the
drebel's overly aggressive default jpeg settings.

David J. Littleboy
(E-Mail Removed)
Tokyo, Japan

des

In article <chaten$e29$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Amy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
> >
> > What's the word??

> The 20D is the Drebel update. It's got the drebel's flash, the drebel's
> noisy shutter, the drebel's lens mount, the drebel's body size/weight, the
> drebel's overly aggressive default jpeg settings.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Tokyo, Japan

Sounds like another whiney 10D owner speaking......

Clyde Torres

"des" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <chaten$e29$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> > "Amy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
> > >
> > > What's the word??

> > The 20D is the Drebel update. It's got the drebel's flash, the drebel's
> > noisy shutter, the drebel's lens mount, the drebel's body size/weight,

the
> > drebel's overly aggressive default jpeg settings.
> >
> > David J. Littleboy
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> > Tokyo, Japan
> >

> Sounds like another whiney 10D owner speaking......

Whiney but correct; nuttin' wrong with dat.

Clyde Torres

Darrell Larose

No update for probably a year. I would expect a price drop to compete with
the new USD $900 (MSRP) Pentax dSLR.

"Amy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
>
> What's the word??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Amy

Darrell Larose

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Amy) writes:
>
> > I was going to buy a Drebel, but now I am thinking I should wait.
> >
> > What's the word??

> Well given Canon has just announced the 20D, I suspect that they won't

replace
> the drebel until at least spring. Besides, how much room for stripping

down
> features is left? The drebel is already pretty stripped down IMHO.

Due to economies of scale, I suspect Canon will cut the price to compete
price wise with the new $900 USD (MSRP) Pentax dSLR...