Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help with c8080 my Olympus. Could anyone help?

Help with c8080 my Olympus. Could anyone help?

marv

Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
answers.
1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ
2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?
3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?
4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
marv alpert http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

SS-3

"marv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
> answers.
> 1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ
> 2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?
> 3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?
> 4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
> i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
> 5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
> marv alpert (E-Mail Removed)

That hideous menu system!! I regret buying the 8080-- hope to sell it soon!

Have you looked thru the manual that's on the included CD?

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) (marv) writes:

> Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
> answers.
> 1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ

Generally on Olympus cameras, the default is to reset all of the options when
the camera is turned on. There should be an option to disable this, and
possibly an option to select which options are reset and which aren't
(presumably since the 8080 is a high end camera, it would have this option). I
know Olympus has changed menu systems on the newer cameras, and I don't recall
what it is in the newer cameras.

> 2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?

Unless the file type is TIFF or RAW, the camera puts out JPG issues, unless I'm
misunderstanding what you ask.

> 3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?
> 4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
> i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
> 5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
> marv alpert (E-Mail Removed)

I don't know on these.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

jonalisa

Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (marv) writes:
>
> > Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
> > answers.
> > 1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ

> Generally on Olympus cameras, the default is to reset all of the options when
> the camera is turned on. There should be an option to disable this, and
> possibly an option to select which options are reset and which aren't
> (presumably since the 8080 is a high end camera, it would have this option). I
> know Olympus has changed menu systems on the newer cameras, and I don't recall
> what it is in the newer cameras.
>
> > 2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?

> Unless the file type is TIFF or RAW, the camera puts out JPG issues, unless I'm
> misunderstanding what you ask.
>
> > 3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?
> > 4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
> > i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups
> > 5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
> > marv alpert (E-Mail Removed)

> I don't know on these.

The problem regarding default menu settings is one I saw on a camera
review at:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...us-c8080.shtml

Here's the info:
Because the default mode of the camera is to reset all of the camera's
shooting parameters whenever it is turned off. Buried in the Setup
menu, on the second level along with the adjustment for the BEEP
sound, is found — ALL RESET — with the default being ON. This means
that all settings are always reset every time the camera powers down.
Of course this is explained somewhere in the manual, but it seems to
me to be the opposite of what most users would want as a default mode.

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) (jonalisa) writes:

> The problem regarding default menu settings is one I saw on a camera
> review at:
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...us-c8080.shtml
>
> Here's the info:
> Because the default mode of the camera is to reset all of the camera's
> shooting parameters whenever it is turned off. Buried in the Setup
> menu, on the second level along with the adjustment for the BEEP
> sound, is found 'ALL RESET' with the default being ON. This means
> that all settings are always reset every time the camera powers down.
> Of course this is explained somewhere in the manual, but it seems to
> me to be the opposite of what most users would want as a default mode.

I can see both sides of the argument. Imagine a newbie who presses buttons
randomly, and gets into say macro mode and the camera won't focus at normal
distances. If he/she turns off the camera, and turns it back on, then setting
macro mode will be reset, and the camera will take pictures again. Yeah, I
wish the default had been the other way, but it isn't a big deal once you know
the option is there.

BTW, that review confirmed the opinion that I had been forming in reading some
of his previous stuff, that Michael Reichman is somewhat of a flake,
particularly the part about downgrading a camera because it was clumsy if he
was wearing gloves, but mentioned the glove test on no other camera review.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Alfred Molon

marv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi swa your name on form.. regarding c8080 could you offer some
>answers.
>1. How do i get camera to default to NOT HG but SHQ

Either disable All Reset in SETUP, or use a MyMode (as I do). Create a
Mymode with the format set to SHQ.

>2, I do not see how to set camera to JPG.. how is that done?

See above.

>3. If I set camera to BATTERY SAVE.. what does that do?

Haven't tried that, but I think it switches off faster the LCD screen
and goes faster into sleep mode.

>4. What do you recommend for a set up in my mode for ACTION. how would
>i set each paramater.. WHat my mode would you recommend for closeups

For action you'll need short exposure times and will either need large
apertures or higher ISO levels. Also, it might make sense to use manual
focus, i.e. lock the focus.

>5. What does resetting DIAL DO??? why would you want to do that??
>marv alpert (E-Mail Removed)

By the way, there is an Olympus 8080 users group (address below).
--

Alfred Molon