Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommend ultra-light snapshot camera

Reply
Thread Tools

Recommend ultra-light snapshot camera

 
 
Noel Llopis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great camera, but
now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light and small camera
that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all the time without worrying
about it.

For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have good
image quality).

Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
- Very small and light
- Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
- Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the Powershot)

Any recommendations?
Thanks.


--Noel

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:26:25 GMT, Noel Llopis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great camera, but
>now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light and small camera
>that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all the time without worrying
>about it.
>
>For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
>control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have good
>image quality).
>
>Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
>- Very small and light
>- Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
>- Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the Powershot)
>
>Any recommendations?
>Thanks.
>
>
>--Noel


Noel,

The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
camera. I have friends that travel with them monthly. A few of these
folks are just too busy to worry about their equipment so they get
used hard. I don't think any of them from the s100 on have ever had a
problem. They do use long lasting, rechargeable but proprietary
batteries. If you prefer to use rechargeable AA batteries you might
consider the Canon A* series (e.g. A80). Nikon now makes some great
smaller cameras but it might be more convenient to stay with the Canon
menu philosophy.

Regards,
Roger
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steven Wandy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2004
> The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
> camera.


I agree I have the s410 as a "carry around" when I don't want to schlep my
E-1 and am very happy with the results. I got my son an s400 for his
graduation. Never was into photography (and forget about taking care of
stuff) and he loves it and gets great results.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Noel Llopis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
Roger wrote:

> The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
> camera.


Really? I looked at the specs and it's almost 200g. It's light, but I
thought there were some other cameras that were much lighter/smaller
(<100g).

Also, I really don't need 4 megapixels. I'd be perfectly happy with 2.5 or 3
megapixels, movies, or any fancy features. It's purely for snapshots. Is
there an older model that might be smaller and cheaper and still durable?

Thanks.


--Noel
(remove the obvious bits from my address to reply)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank ess
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
Noel Llopis wrote:
> My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great
> camera, but now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light
> and small camera that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all
> the time without worrying about it.
>
> For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
> control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have
> good image quality).
>
> Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
> - Very small and light
> - Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
> - Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the
> Powershot)
>
> Any recommendations?
> Thanks.
>
>
> --Noel


Have a look at the Minolta Dimage Xt and the newer Xg. Not everyone's
cuppa, but it works
(and works, and works) for me.

I have no specs link handy, but I can offer views of the Xt and its
predecessor, and some example photos:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/BC32073BD1DA91E
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B51CA34810BA0D1

--
Frank ess


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
"Noel Llopis" wrote in message
>> ... I looked at the specs and it's almost 200g. It's light, but I

> thought there were some other cameras that were much lighter/smaller
> (<100g).
>
> Also, I really don't need 4 megapixels. I'd be perfectly happy with 2.5 or
> 3
> megapixels, movies, or any fancy features. It's purely for snapshots. Is
> there an older model that might be smaller and cheaper and still durable?
>

Casio make some of the smallest, thinnest cameras. You should be able to
find a lot of review and details in websites like
http://www.steves-digicams.com/ or http://www.imaging-resource.com

- JW


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
Noel Llopis wrote:

> Roger wrote:
>
>
>>The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
>>camera.

>
>
> Really? I looked at the specs and it's almost 200g. It's light, but I
> thought there were some other cameras that were much lighter/smaller
> (<100g).
>
> Also, I really don't need 4 megapixels. I'd be perfectly happy with 2.5 or 3
> megapixels, movies, or any fancy features. It's purely for snapshots. Is
> there an older model that might be smaller and cheaper and still durable?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> --Noel
> (remove the obvious bits from my address to reply)


You might look at some of the Casio models, and Sony has a few very
small, and light models.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Dravot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
"Steven Wandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jVMZc.30203$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The s400 etc (digital elf) series from Canon is a great ultra compact
> > camera.

>
> I agree I have the s410 as a "carry around" when I don't want to schlep my
> E-1 and am very happy with the results. I got my son an s400 for his
> graduation. Never was into photography (and forget about taking care of
> stuff) and he loves it and gets great results.


Y'all must have much deeper pockets than I do-- considering a $600 camera a
"throw it in your backpack and forget about it" camera!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
kahalas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004

Pentax optio 30. 3 megapixels, sd card, aa batteries, small. I got one
for $130

SLK

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:26:25 GMT, Noel Llopis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My primary digital camera is a Cannon Powershot G1. It's a great camera, but
>now I'm thinking of complementing it with an ultra-light and small camera
>that I can just keep in my pocket or backpack all the time without worrying
>about it.
>
>For this one, I just need to take snapshots, so I don't need all the
>control/features of a more advanced camera (but I'd like it to have good
>image quality).
>
>Specifically, here's what I'm looking for:
>- Very small and light
>- Durable (throw it in the backpack and don't worry about it too much)
>- Uses compact flash cards (so I can reuse my cards from the Powershot)
>
>Any recommendations?
>Thanks.
>
>
>--Noel


 
Reply With Quote
 
Noel Llopis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
Frank ess wrote:

> Have a look at the Minolta Dimage Xt and the newer Xg. Not everyone's
> cuppa, but it works (and works, and works) for me.


I looked at those and that's a lot more like what I had in mind. A tad bit
expensive, but it really looks perfect. Thanks!

--Noel

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there such a thing as a camera that stores its photographs inremote storage chips by remote signalling at the moment of snapshot? Scott H Digital Photography 4 02-01-2008 08:11 PM
kodak $10 snapshot camera/film nobody@nospam.com Digital Photography 3 09-17-2007 09:19 PM
SnapShot Repl. Sivaraman Latchapathi MCSE 0 07-11-2005 09:36 AM
How to open a Snapshot file from ASP.NET Steven Thomas ASP .Net 3 11-19-2004 04:01 PM
cheap snapshot camera for win98 hashi Digital Photography 0 08-10-2004 11:28 AM



Advertisments