Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which Graphics Package ?

Which Graphics Package ?

DuncanH

Hi

Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take out
something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that I can send
to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump to a photo also
put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid show.

As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding graphic
stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I don't mind
spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.

Thanks for your help, Duncan

Hunt

In article <oysZc.78922$(E-Mail Removed) >, hdj@blueyonder.
co.uk says...

>Hi
>
>Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take out
>something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that I can send
>to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump to a photo also
>put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid show.
>
>As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding graphic
>stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I don't mind
>spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
>Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
>
>Thanks for your help, Duncan

You might want to look at ThumbsPlus, www.cerious.com. I'm not sure about the
addition of menus to DVD,though. For that I use several other much more
expensive programs.

Hunt

Atreju

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:02:44 GMT, "DuncanH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take out
>something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that I can send
>to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump to a photo also
>put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid show.
>
>As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding graphic
>stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I don't mind
>spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
>Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
>
>Thanks for your help, Duncan

I personally use Adobe Photoshop, but that's mega-bucks.
In your price range, I hear JASC Paint Shop Pro is very popular.

---Atreju---

Big Bill

wrote:

>Hi
>
>Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take out
>something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that I can send
>to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump to a photo also
>put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid show.
>
>As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding graphic
>stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I don't mind
>spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
>Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
>
>Thanks for your help, Duncan

I use Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Elements; they complement each other.
For the DVD authoring, I use Nero; it will let you make CD/DVD menus.
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Gene Palmiter

I am happy with my Epson 3200. It scans everything with very good
resolution....there is a newer model out there now. You will pay about $400
but with Kodak charging $1 a slide you will recover that very quickly and
meanwhile you will have a great multi-purpose scanner for other purposes.
Scanning the slides yourself allows you to optimize each of them as
necessary rather than a generic scan from outsiders. It will, as noted by
others, take considerable time to do thousands of slides...but if you are
interested in photography and computers you are not expected to have a real
life too.

"DuncanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsysZc.78922$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hi
>
> Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take out
> something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that I can

send
> to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump to a photo

also
> put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid show.
>
> As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding graphic
> stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I don't mind
> spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
> Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
>
> Thanks for your help, Duncan

bob

"DuncanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsysZc.78922$(E-Mail Removed). uk:

> Hi
>
> Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take
> out something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that
> I can send to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump
> to a photo also put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid
> show.
>
> As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding
> graphic stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I
> don't mind spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend
> the money Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
>
> Thanks for your help, Duncan

For the cropping and whatnot, you can use the GIMP for free, which you
can download from gimp.org for whichever operating system you use. It is
very powerful.

For editing like taking out parts of the picture, you will have much
greater success if you buy a Wacom graphics tablet, which will come with
software that might suit your needs. In the US, the tablet retails for
around $100, which is just barely in your range.

If it's a one time event, you can get by with a mouse, but if it's
something you want to do going forward, the tablet is a worthy
investment.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Hunt

says...

>On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:02:44 GMT, "DuncanH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take out
>>something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that I can send
>>to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump to a photo also
>>put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid show.
>>
>>As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding graphic
>>stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I don't mind
>>spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
>>Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
>>
>>Thanks for your help, Duncan
>>

>I use Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Elements; they complement each other.
>For the DVD authoring, I use Nero; it will let you make CD/DVD menus.
>Bill Funk

Bill,

Thanks for the Nero tip. I've got it on two machines, but have never explored
its capabilities though. I'll take a look, as it might be helpful for small
projects, that, otherwise, do not require some of the more complicated
programs I've used.

Appreciated,
Hunt

dave

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:02:44 GMT, "DuncanH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take out
> >something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that I can

send
> >to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump to a photo

also
> >put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid show.
> >
> >As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding graphic
> >stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I don't mind
> >spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend the money
> >Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
> >
> >Thanks for your help, Duncan
> >

> I personally use Adobe Photoshop, but that's mega-bucks.
> In your price range, I hear JASC Paint Shop Pro is very popular.
>

> ---Atreju---

Wait, Photoshop ISNT FREE???

Jesko Waniek

"DuncanH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsysZc.78922$(E-Mail Removed). uk:

> Hi
>
> Want to improve some of my pictures - get rid of red eye, crop, take
> out something in background etc plus be able to produce a cd/dvd that
> I can send to someone to play on their TV (nice to have a menu to jump
> to a photo also put titles on plus if possible have a automated slid
> show.
>
> As I am sure you can see my terminology I'm a beginner regarding
> graphic stuff, so needs simple package. As far as budget is concern I
> don't mind spending 50-75 but would need a very good reason to spend
> the money Photoshop is and sounds difficult to use.
>
> Thanks for your help, Duncan

Get JASC Paint Shop Pro. It doesn't load very fast, but it's very powerful
yet easy to use. The straightening tool alone is worth the price of
admission (you simply draw a line on the photo to indicate the horizon, and
the program does the rest; much better than fiddling with rotating, etc.).

Jesko Waniek

David Dyer-Bennet

Jesko Waniek <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Get JASC Paint Shop Pro. It doesn't load very fast, but it's very powerful
> yet easy to use. The straightening tool alone is worth the price of
> admission (you simply draw a line on the photo to indicate the horizon, and
> the program does the rest; much better than fiddling with rotating, etc.).

Photoshop will do exactly that -- not that I'm suggesting somebody on
the OPs budget should hold out for Photoshop, mind you. But just as a
general point of discussion on user interfaces.