Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > for Canon A80 powershot -- what is highest 3rd party telephoto lens?

for Canon A80 powershot -- what is highest 3rd party telephoto lens?

W. Curtiss Priest

The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
optical zoom

Olympus has a 10x optical zoom camera

A friend said he heard there was a third party lens
that did 9x on the Canon A80 He said, then, one needed
to manually focus.

Does anyone know of that?

Regards,

Curtiss

Ed Ruf

On 30 Aug 2004 10:46:36 -0700, in rec.photo.digital http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (W.
Curtiss Priest) wrote:

>The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
>optical zoom

No, the converter does not increase the zoom range, it remains 3X, from
your above figure. What it does is multiply the focal length of the lens.
For example if the camera itself is 35-105mm. then with the converter
attached it is 105-315mm, still 3x.

See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Brian

"W. Curtiss Priest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
> optical zoom
>
> Olympus has a 10x optical zoom camera
>
> A friend said he heard there was a third party lens
> that did 9x on the Canon A80 He said, then, one needed
> to manually focus.
>
> Does anyone know of that?
>
> Regards,
>
> Curtiss

So, ya know, the tele-converters obscure the viewfinder, so you have to use
the LCD only. It makes it tough for action shots or working in bright
sunlight. I have a Canon 3x lens (3x lens, times the built in 3x lens, for
a total of 9x) for my A60, and it works great, aside for the viewfinder
problem.
B.

Dave Martindale

Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>No, the converter does not increase the zoom range, it remains 3X, from
>your above figure. What it does is multiply the focal length of the lens.
>For example if the camera itself is 35-105mm. then with the converter
>attached it is 105-315mm, still 3x.

And, in fact, teleconverters of this type often vignette at the wider
settings of the main zoom, so you get less than 3X usable zoom range.

What you can count on is getting *one* additional focal length, with the
main lens at maximum tele plus the effect of the converter.

Dave

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:44:56 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital
(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Martindale) wrote:

>Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>No, the converter does not increase the zoom range, it remains 3X, from
>>your above figure. What it does is multiply the focal length of the lens.
>>For example if the camera itself is 35-105mm. then with the converter
>>attached it is 105-315mm, still 3x.

>And, in fact, teleconverters of this type often vignette at the wider
>settings of the main zoom, so you get less than 3X usable zoom range.
>
>What you can count on is getting *one* additional focal length, with the
>main lens at maximum tele plus the effect of the converter.

Agreed and some vignette at all but maximum zoom, such as the Nikon
TC-15 attached to my CP-5700. Which makes for awkward situations some
times. Especially having been accustomed to a TC-3 on a CP-990
previously
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Wouter Wessels

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (W. Curtiss Priest) wrote:

> The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
> optical zoom

1) Who cares about 'times optical zoom' that does not define the amount
of Tele. The A80 has a zoom range of 38 to 114mm, so the 1.75 increase
would give the "tele" a reach of 1.75 x 114 mm = 200 mm.

2) If you must multiply, the lens was 38 - 114 mm,
The lens with converter is 66 - 200 mm
Guess what, still 3 times zoom.

3) If you use that lens, forget about zooming. If you zoom out, you will
photograph the inside of the lens! So you will absolutely not get that 3
times. On an A70 camera, you can use about half the zoom without seeing
the inside of the lens ... so you might zoom 130 - 200 mm, but the
corners of the photos will distort more when not totally zommed in.

I have the Canon S60, and I am planning to buy the tele converter, even
though it hs the same problems that I mention above. But I really want
to be able to use a bit more tele ...

Regards,

Wouter

--

Wouter F. Wessels
Gouda, the Netherlands

W. Curtiss Priest

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<oQ7Zc.16829$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> "W. Curtiss Priest" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
> > optical zoom
> >
> > Olympus has a 10x optical zoom camera
> >
> > A friend said he heard there was a third party lens
> > that did 9x on the Canon A80 He said, then, one needed
> > to manually focus.
> >
> > Does anyone know of that?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Curtiss

> I have a Canon 3x lens (3x lens, times the built in 3x lens, for
> a total of 9x) for my A60, and it works great, aside for the viewfinder
> problem.

Brian,

Could you post the Canon model of this 3x lens so I can check
if it might fit the A80 ?

Thanks,

Curtiss