Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What brand of Digital Camera has the fastest startup time ?

What brand of Digital Camera has the fastest startup time ?

OCZ Guy

Just one thing i would like in a camera.

See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
push the button and take the picture

Am i asking toooooooooo much ?

Thanks.

HELLO NURSE.

AstroPax

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:33:34 +1000, OCZ Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just one thing i would like in a camera.
>
>See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
>get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
>push the button and take the picture
>
>Am i asking toooooooooo much ?

Can't speak for the Canon DSLR's, but the Nikon D100, D2H, and D70 all
have instantaneous start-up times.

Over in the point-n-shoot category, I believe the Olympus C8080 is
relatively fast.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Drifter

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:59:51 -0600, AstroPax <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:33:34 +1000, OCZ Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Just one thing i would like in a camera.
>>
>>See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
>>get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
>>push the button and take the picture
>>
>>Am i asking toooooooooo much ?

>Can't speak for the Canon DSLR's, but the Nikon D100, D2H, and D70 all
>have instantaneous start-up times.
>
>Over in the point-n-shoot category, I believe the Olympus C8080 is
>relatively fast.
>
>-Astro

Older Canon (like my 10D, gosh it hurts to call it "older" now <grin)
take about 2 seconds. Newer ones like the 20D are supposed to be
instant on. However I can leave my camera on nearly all day before
the battery pack goes flat (in active, not standby mode) so it really
makes no difference to me.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Michael Meissner

OCZ Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Just one thing i would like in a camera.
>
> See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
> get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
> push the button and take the picture

That's why I use an external battery pack (DPS-9000) that fools the camera into
never going to sleep. I find I get 5 hours or so of continous performance
before it is discharged and the camera falls back to the builtin batteries.
Note, there still is the normal focusing and shutter lag delays (focusing I can
avoid by pre-focusing).

As others have said, the Canon 20D (maybe Canon 1D mark-II, but I don't recall
the specs), and Nikon D2H, offer nearly instant on, and if you use the
professional level lenses, the focusing should be very fast as well. However,
be prepared to shell out some serious cash if you need the extreme speed.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Ron Hunter

OCZ Guy wrote:

> Just one thing i would like in a camera.
>
> See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
> get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
> push the button and take the picture
>
> Am i asking toooooooooo much ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> HELLO NURSE.

No, there are cameras that will do that. Some have startup times of
about 1 second. Check dpreview site for specs.

Big Bill

wrote:

>Just one thing i would like in a camera.
>
>See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
>get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
>push the button and take the picture
>
>Am i asking toooooooooo much ?
>
>Thanks.
>
>HELLO NURSE.

The new Canon 20D claims .2 second from off to ready to shoot.
Yes, that's 2/10 seconds.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Ron Hunter

Big Bill wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:33:34 +1000, OCZ Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Just one thing i would like in a camera.
>>
>>See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
>>get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
>>push the button and take the picture
>>
>>Am i asking toooooooooo much ?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>HELLO NURSE.

> The new Canon 20D claims .2 second from off to ready to shoot.
> Yes, that's 2/10 seconds.
>
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"

That oughta do it...

Mitch Alsup

Big Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..

> The new Canon 20D claims .2 second from off to ready to shoot.
> Yes, that's 2/10 seconds.

One of the previewrs measured the startup delay by holding the
shutter button down and then turning on the camera. IT went click
at 0.2 seconds. This camera also had a shutter button to click
time of 72ms. So the real turnon delay is closer to 0.13 seconds.
But all of this is just silly for 99% of us.

AJH400

>See somthingi want to take a picture off turn on camera and the time i
>get the camera up to my eye looking at the subject i would like to
>push the button and take the picture

For quick startup n' shooting compact digital cameras, take a look at the Casio
R41-51-61 range, or the Ricoh GX.
All have 1sec start ups, and almost zero shutter lag. And they're cheap!!

I know, I've got em!

Andrew

replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers you
meet