Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 400mm f5.6 lens vs 200mm f2.8 lens with 2x teleconverter

400mm f5.6 lens vs 200mm f2.8 lens with 2x teleconverter

Aaron Ng

"brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> These are MTF vs image height plots. Vertical coordinate is contrast,
> not spatial frequency. In these plots there are only small number of
> discrete spatial frequencies shown, each showing how the contrast at
> that spatial frequency varies as a function of image height. In the
> photodo charts the solid and dashed lines represent the sagittal and
> tangential directions, respectively.
>
> Brian
> www.caldwellphotographic.com

Thanks Brian!

George Preddy

"greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3LpYc.251265$M95.155288@pd7tw1no>...
> Hi folks, I have a question about quality.
>
> I have a Sigma 135-400mm f4.5-5.6 lens (it's 5.6 at over 200mm). I almost
> always only use this to shoot motorsports outdoors.
>
> I also have a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens.

Get the Simga 70-200 EX, all the 70-200 class lenses rate the same
optically, and the Sigma is much better built and much less expensive
than the plastic Nikon...

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef

Also the Sigma 1.4X TC has almost no image degradation at all, using
it is not noticable. The others' TC's degrade image quality
dramatically, much like the Simga 2X.

Also, the Sigma 80-400 OS is much sharper than the 70-200 EX at 200mm.

> But I'm wondering about quality or other detrimental effects of using the
> teleconverter. I've never used one before. Will the image sharpness,
> contrast, colour, etc. be comparible to the Sigma lens, or do I pay a cost
> besides the stops?

Forget about any TC besides the Sigma 1.4X EX APO, and don't consider
the Simga 2X either. Better idea is to get the Sigma 80-400 OS, it
is significantly sharper than any of the above and a lot stronger. If
you have to shoot at f/2.8, the Sigma 70-200 EX is the best buy, about
$800 less than your lower optically rated Nikkor.

Aaron

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Get the Simga 70-200 EX, all the 70-200 class lenses rate the same
> optically, and the Sigma is much better built and much less expensive
> than the plastic Nikon...
>
> http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef
>
> Also the Sigma 1.4X TC has almost no image degradation at all, using
> it is not noticable. The others' TC's degrade image quality
> dramatically, much like the Simga 2X.
>
> Also, the Sigma 80-400 OS is much sharper than the 70-200 EX at 200mm.
>
> > But I'm wondering about quality or other detrimental effects of using

the
> > teleconverter. I've never used one before. Will the image sharpness,
> > contrast, colour, etc. be comparible to the Sigma lens, or do I pay a

cost
> > besides the stops?

> Forget about any TC besides the Sigma 1.4X EX APO, and don't consider
> the Simga 2X either. Better idea is to get the Sigma 80-400 OS, it
> is significantly sharper than any of the above and a lot stronger. If
> you have to shoot at f/2.8, the Sigma 70-200 EX is the best buy, about
> $800 less than your lower optically rated Nikkor.

Alas, your logic is flawed. He already has the 80-200mm f/2.8. So if he were
to follow your advice, he would end up spending more than if he purchased
the TC...

Summitar

> "George Preddy" <Steve Giovanella> wrote:

> > Get the Simga 70-200 EX, all the 70-200 class lenses rate the same
> > optically, and the Sigma is much better built and much less expensive
> > than the plastic Nikon...

Shut up, Preddy.