Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best burning size?

Best burning size?

Ron G

Now that I have an awesome new Epson 2580 scanner one of my friends has
asked me to scan a bunch of 4x6 color prints and put them on a disc for
him. Assuming I scan at 300dpi should I simply transfer the scanned (and
possibly edited) file to the discs in its original size and, if I save
as TIFF, high res? He may or may not want to print, but would certainly
want to view them on his computer. If I reduced the files to, say, 800x,
but kept them as large in size as possible, would that still leave
plenty of room for good prints?

The Epson has a couple of quirks. It absolutely does not get along with
any other scanner drivers that may be left on your computer, be sure
that it is completely detached from your computer when you load its
drivers, and the accompanying software, while offering some good
features, is a bit cumbersome (I generally scan right out of Elements
anyhow), I have to say that I have been blown away by image quality, and
in particular the quality of 35mm slides. This scanner also has a film
strip feeder, which I have not tried yet. Oh, I had a question about a
conflict with another driver and the woman who took my call very quickly
was quite thoughtful, knowledgable and eager to help. Can't beat this
package.

Thanks, as always, for help.

Gene Palmiter

Since you don't know how they will be used I would do it like this. Make the
short size 3000 pixels...that way he can crop and still get a great 8x10.
You may have to teach him how to make them smaller if he has other uses for
them. If TIFs will fit on a CD...depends on how many there are... then I
would save them that way as any program can use them. If you have to save
space to get them all on a CD then high quality JPG will do well....they
will be as good as from a pro level digital camera. Since some image area is
lost on a print I would prefer to scan the negatives though there may be a
problem with dust. I try to get back to the most original art I can so I can
decide what it needs instead of a machine going for averages.

"Ron G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now that I have an awesome new Epson 2580 scanner one of my friends has
> asked me to scan a bunch of 4x6 color prints and put them on a disc for
> him. Assuming I scan at 300dpi should I simply transfer the scanned (and
> possibly edited) file to the discs in its original size and, if I save
> as TIFF, high res? He may or may not want to print, but would certainly
> want to view them on his computer. If I reduced the files to, say, 800x,
> but kept them as large in size as possible, would that still leave
> plenty of room for good prints?
>
> The Epson has a couple of quirks. It absolutely does not get along with
> any other scanner drivers that may be left on your computer, be sure
> that it is completely detached from your computer when you load its
> drivers, and the accompanying software, while offering some good
> features, is a bit cumbersome (I generally scan right out of Elements
> anyhow), I have to say that I have been blown away by image quality, and
> in particular the quality of 35mm slides. This scanner also has a film
> strip feeder, which I have not tried yet. Oh, I had a question about a
> conflict with another driver and the woman who took my call very quickly
> was quite thoughtful, knowledgable and eager to help. Can't beat this
> package.
>
> Thanks, as always, for help.

Dick Frederick

If you scan at 300 dpi you should get an image of 1200 X 1800 pixels. This
is more than adequate for a another 4 X 6 print and is marginally OK for up
to about a 6 X 9 print. It depends a lot on the quality of the original
print and the quality of the scan of that print. In any case you need
"all" of the pixels to produce a decent quality print. When you print an
image, you select the print size in the printing software and then that
software resample the image up or down to create the requisite number of
pixels the printer uses. Generally speaking, the more pixels in the image
before resampling by printing software, the better.

For viewing on the computer email system or web browser, you will want to
resample down to about 600 X 900 pixels. The exception would be if you are
viewing the larger images with software that will automatically downsample
for you.

The computer screen will display the number of pixels. Unless downsampling
of the 1200 X 1800 pixel image has taken place, the image will exceed the
size of the monitor display and you will have to use scroll bars to see the
whole image - not usually what you want.

So, normally you need two image files. One for viewing and one for
printing. The exception is if you view with something like Irfanview which
downsamples for you. Then one large file will work.

Hope this helps.

"Ron G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now that I have an awesome new Epson 2580 scanner one of my friends has
> asked me to scan a bunch of 4x6 color prints and put them on a disc for
> him. Assuming I scan at 300dpi should I simply transfer the scanned (and
> possibly edited) file to the discs in its original size and, if I save
> as TIFF, high res? He may or may not want to print, but would certainly
> want to view them on his computer. If I reduced the files to, say, 800x,
> but kept them as large in size as possible, would that still leave
> plenty of room for good prints?
>
> The Epson has a couple of quirks. It absolutely does not get along with
> any other scanner drivers that may be left on your computer, be sure
> that it is completely detached from your computer when you load its
> drivers, and the accompanying software, while offering some good
> features, is a bit cumbersome (I generally scan right out of Elements
> anyhow), I have to say that I have been blown away by image quality, and
> in particular the quality of 35mm slides. This scanner also has a film
> strip feeder, which I have not tried yet. Oh, I had a question about a
> conflict with another driver and the woman who took my call very quickly
> was quite thoughtful, knowledgable and eager to help. Can't beat this
> package.
>
> Thanks, as always, for help.

info

Hi
I always make two folders. One Hi resolution Tiff and one Low resolution JPG
not bigger than 50k,
the reason for this ´s that my Mac at work reads large CD files very
slowly
Anyway Just one idea more.

"Ron G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now that I have an awesome new Epson 2580 scanner one of my friends has
> asked me to scan a bunch of 4x6 color prints and put them on a disc for
> him. Assuming I scan at 300dpi should I simply transfer the scanned (and
> possibly edited) file to the discs in its original size and, if I save as
> TIFF, high res? He may or may not want to print, but would certainly want
> to view them on his computer. If I reduced the files to, say, 800x,
> but kept them as large in size as possible, would that still leave plenty
> of room for good prints?
>
> The Epson has a couple of quirks. It absolutely does not get along with
> any other scanner drivers that may be left on your computer, be sure that
> it is completely detached from your computer when you load its drivers,
> and the accompanying software, while offering some good features, is a bit
> cumbersome (I generally scan right out of Elements anyhow), I have to say
> that I have been blown away by image quality, and in particular the
> quality of 35mm slides. This scanner also has a film strip feeder, which I
> have not tried yet. Oh, I had a question about a conflict with another
> driver and the woman who took my call very quickly was quite thoughtful,
> knowledgable and eager to help. Can't beat this package.
>
> Thanks, as always, for help.

---

Bob Williams

Ron G wrote:
> Now that I have an awesome new Epson 2580 scanner one of my friends has
> asked me to scan a bunch of 4x6 color prints and put them on a disc for
> him. Assuming I scan at 300dpi should I simply transfer the scanned (and
> possibly edited) file to the discs in its original size and, if I save
> as TIFF, high res? He may or may not want to print, but would certainly
> want to view them on his computer. If I reduced the files to, say, 800x,
> but kept them as large in size as possible, would that still leave
> plenty of room for good prints?
>
> The Epson has a couple of quirks. It absolutely does not get along with
> any other scanner drivers that may be left on your computer, be sure
> that it is completely detached from your computer when you load its
> drivers, and the accompanying software, while offering some good
> features, is a bit cumbersome (I generally scan right out of Elements
> anyhow), I have to say that I have been blown away by image quality, and
> in particular the quality of 35mm slides. This scanner also has a film
> strip feeder, which I have not tried yet. Oh, I had a question about a
> conflict with another driver and the woman who took my call very quickly
> was quite thoughtful, knowledgable and eager to help. Can't beat this
> package.
>
> Thanks, as always, for help.

I would scan the 4 X 6 prints at 300 dpi and save them as highest
quality jpegs.
The images will be about 1200 x 1800 pixels and the file size will be
"ABOUT" 500 KB.
These images can be printed at the same fidelity as the original print
and will make pretty good 5 x 7 prints as well.
Most modern DVD players can read jpeg files on a CD (don't think they
can handle viewing tiff files) and display the images on a TV. This is a
very convenient way to view pictures with friends.
The DVD software will automatically resize the images to fit your TV screen.

For sending over the internet, I'd Resample them in Photoshop to about
450 x 675 pixels. That size will allow almost all viewers to see the
entire picture without scrolling.

Bottom Line.....Make two CDs
One with 1200 X 1800 ppi High resolution jpegs for printing and viewing
with a DVD Player.
The other with 450 x 675 medium resolution jpegs for sending pictures to
friends and relatives over the internet.
Bob Williams