Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need new monitor asap!

Need new monitor asap!

Guy Scharf

Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small.

What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing? My budget is up
to $750. If CRT, must be at least a 19" monitor, though I would prefer
larger. I never use this system for gaming.

Is there a LCD panel with good color, blacks, whites, contrast, etc.
yet in my price range? If LCD, 19" is probably enough.

How is the Samsung 193P, really? How does it compare to the LaCie or
Mitsubishi monitors?

Has anyone tried a reconditioned monitor from LaCie?

I need the monitor to accept analog input for now, but I am planning on
replacing the computer within the month with a new one with new video
card, probably a Matrox P650 or maybe Nvidia.

Thanks for your advice on monitors!

Guy

Rick

"Guy Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Xns95517C36FDF4guyspamcopnet@216.196.97.142.. .
> Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
> 19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
> backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
> her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small.

Your Iiyama died not because of the Mitsubishi tube, but
because of the cheap/substandard supporting components
used by Iiyama. Their monitors are designed to last only as
long as their warranty periods.

> What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing? My budget is up
> to $750. If CRT, must be at least a 19" monitor, though I would prefer
> larger. I never use this system for gaming.
>
> Is there a LCD panel with good color, blacks, whites, contrast, etc.
> yet in my price range? If LCD, 19" is probably enough.
>
> How is the Samsung 193P, really? How does it compare to the LaCie or
> Mitsubishi monitors?
>
> Has anyone tried a reconditioned monitor from LaCie?

LaCie also uses Mitsubishi's Diamondtron SB tubes.

You can get a new 22" Mitsubishi 2070SB for $700, or
even less if you shop around:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...2&loc=101&sp=1

Mitsubishi uses top-notch supporting components.

Rick

Rick

"Guy Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Xns95517C36FDF4guyspamcopnet@216.196.97.142.. .
> Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
> 19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
> backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
> her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small.

Your Iiyama died not because of the Mitsubishi tube, but
because of the cheap/substandard supporting components
used by Iiyama. Their monitors are designed to last only as
long as their warranty periods.

> What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing? My budget is up
> to $750. If CRT, must be at least a 19" monitor, though I would prefer
> larger. I never use this system for gaming.
>
> Is there a LCD panel with good color, blacks, whites, contrast, etc.
> yet in my price range? If LCD, 19" is probably enough.
>
> How is the Samsung 193P, really? How does it compare to the LaCie or
> Mitsubishi monitors?
>
> Has anyone tried a reconditioned monitor from LaCie?

LaCie also uses Mitsubishi's Diamondtron SB tubes.

You can get a new 22" Mitsubishi 2070SB for $700, or
even less if you shop around:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...2&loc=101&sp=1

Mitsubishi uses top-notch supporting components.

Rick

mark_digital

"Guy Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Xns95517C36FDF4guyspamcopnet@216.196.97.142.. .
Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small.

What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing?
------------------
------------------
------------------
Are you trying to make a blond's hair green or flesh tone
turn orange? There's nothing to edit anymore big guy unless
you're trying to go abstract.
If your images suck from the camera time to ditch it.
Take pictures, not "fix" them.

mark_

Mark M

"mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Guy Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95517C36FDF4guyspamcopnet@216.196.97.142.. .
Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 -- a
19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died tonight. As
backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need to give it back to
her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small.

What's the best choice for a monitor for photo editing?
------------------
------------------
------------------
Are you trying to make a blond's hair green or flesh tone
turn orange? There's nothing to edit anymore big guy unless
you're trying to go abstract.
If your images suck from the camera time to ditch it.
Take pictures, not "fix" them.
---------------

I'm hoping you're either kidding or drunk, because you're talking complete,
utter nonsense.

DS

I like the Sony Trinitron monitors but they're very expensive and now
only available in the larger (21inch) sizes.

DS

Mark M

"DS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I like the Sony Trinitron monitors but they're very expensive and now
> only available in the larger (21inch) sizes.

My last Trinitron turned to total crap in less than two years.
Very disappointing.
I'm now happily color-matching to great success with high-res a 20.1" flat
(gasp) panel.
I know about the naysayers with regard to LCD didsplays for this type of
work, but it's been great. Lesser LCDs are surely more problematic, though
I still don't have a truly high-end panel ($1300 for this one). The best
sell for much much more.

Guy Scharf

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Guy Scharf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95517C36FDF4guyspamcopnet@216.196.97.142.. .
>> Until tonight, I have been using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450
>> -- a 19" monitor with a Mitsubishi tube. The monitor died
>> tonight. As backup, I have "borrowed" my wife's IBM P70. I need
>> to give it back to her fast! Besides, at 17" it is a bit small.
>>

> Your Iiyama died not because of the Mitsubishi tube, but
> because of the cheap/substandard supporting components
> used by Iiyama. Their monitors are designed to last only as
> long as their warranty periods.

I like the Mitsubishi tube very much. It is the best aperture grill
design that I have used. If I get a CRT rather than a flat panel, it
will have a Misubishi Diamondtron tube.

The monitor lasted more than 5 years, somewhat longer than the warranty
period. I find it irritating that repair services are too expensive.

Guy

bob

"Mark M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "DS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I like the Sony Trinitron monitors but they're very expensive and now
>> only available in the larger (21inch) sizes.

> My last Trinitron turned to total crap in less than two years.
> Very disappointing.

I've got a 21/22" trinitron FD (in a Sony brand case) that's right at two
years old now. I just priced one last week and it's under $700 from
BestBuy.com.

I like it very much so far.

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

wayne

YOU need to go to a couple of local stores to see the different monitors to
see what you like. As I have said 3 out of 4 of my graphic artists have
switched to LCD the 4th still has his CRT. You can look for online reviews

this 19" sony LCD is right in your ballpark
http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/p...-11196512.html

Wayne