Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto Prints

shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto Prints

Robert J Batina

Al <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed:
> shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
> best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
> third of them were to dark.
>
> Thanks
>
> Al

I've used all of those services, and I've found that www.xpphoto.com has the
best quality/cost value for me. The prints aren't cropped more than they
should be, they offer tons of sizes as well as matte and glossy, they pack
everything well, and they have quick turnaround. Try them, I think you'll
be pleased. IIRC they use Fuji Crystal Archive paper.

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

Al

shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
third of them were to dark.

Thanks

Al

Jeremy Nixon

Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
> best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
> third of them were to dark.

"Too dark" is a common observation with prints from digital. The main
cause of it is that, quite simply, prints are perceptually darker than
pictures viewed on the screen. You have to keep that in mind when
doing Photoshop corrections. Also, I apply a gamma boost to all of my
pictures when I make the files to send for printing -- Photoshop Levels,
gray point raised to 1.19, arrived at by simple experimentation. (I
created an Action to do that correction and then save out a jpeg to
upload, and turned it into a "droplet".)

I use Printroom.com, which, unlike other online printing services, uses
ICC profiles, so I get prints that look like the pictures on my screen,
but only after that gamma boost to correct for the perceptual difference.
I'm sure there's a better way to do it by accounting for it when profiling
the monitor, but the results are perfect, and I'd rather not have my
monitor "too dark" for everything else.

The other thing to consider is whether your monitor is correct. Is it
calibrated? Maybe the prints are perfect, the pictures really are too
dark, and you're seeing them differently because your monitor is set
too bright?

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

c0smic

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
>> best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
>> third of them were to dark.

> "Too dark" is a common observation with prints from digital. The main
> cause of it is that, quite simply, prints are perceptually darker than
> pictures viewed on the screen. You have to keep that in mind when
> doing Photoshop corrections. Also, I apply a gamma boost to all of my
> pictures when I make the files to send for printing -- Photoshop
> Levels, gray point raised to 1.19, arrived at by simple
> experimentation. (I created an Action to do that correction and then
> save out a jpeg to upload, and turned it into a "droplet".)
>
> I use Printroom.com, which, unlike other online printing services,
> uses ICC profiles, so I get prints that look like the pictures on my
> screen, but only after that gamma boost to correct for the perceptual
> difference. I'm sure there's a better way to do it by accounting for
> it when profiling the monitor, but the results are perfect, and I'd
> rather not have my monitor "too dark" for everything else.
>
> The other thing to consider is whether your monitor is correct. Is it
> calibrated? Maybe the prints are perfect, the pictures really are too
> dark, and you're seeing them differently because your monitor is set
> too bright?

Shutterfly “automatically” adjusts the levels and the photos will turn
out different than what you see on the screen. It is probably OK for
people who do not make any adjustments before uploading the files for
printing. When I tried it last year there was no option to not have the
photos automatically adjusted and I did not like the results.

I have received excellent results from Printroom.com. The photos turn out
exactly as edited in Adobe RGB. Printroom has some good tips in the help
section on how to set up Photoshop to view proof colors correctly. They
have an ICC profile you can download and set it up in Photoshop to
preview using black point compensation and simulate paper white. The
prints look almost exactly like the calibrated monitor when viewed in
Photoshop Adobe RGB.

Walmart.com has given excellent results using sRGB. I just had over 300
photos printed and the results were excellent. It was tedious uploading
1GB of photos because you can only upload about 40MB at a time. You can
edit the photos using sRGB and uncheck the automatic enhance and they
will turn out as viewed in Photoshop sRGB.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
> best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
> third of them were to dark.
>
> Thanks
>
> Al

Shutterfly has automatic image enhancement that you can turn on or off,
but I don't think it darkens photos. It may be a problem with your
monitor's gamma. It could also be that luster/matte prints look dull in
some lighting conditions. Shutterfly's customer support can take a look
at your photos if you give them a call.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
> best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
> third of them were to dark.
>
> Thanks
>
> Al

Shutterfly has automatic image enhancement that you can turn on or off,
but I don't think it darkens photos. It may be a problem with your
monitor's gamma. It could also be that luster/matte prints look dull in
some lighting conditions. Shutterfly's customer support can take a look
at your photos if you give them a call.

Gene Palmiter

I use www.Dotphoto.com and have been happy with them.

"Kevin McMurtrie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
> > best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
> > third of them were to dark.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Al

> Shutterfly has automatic image enhancement that you can turn on or off,
> but I don't think it darkens photos. It may be a problem with your
> monitor's gamma. It could also be that luster/matte prints look dull in
> some lighting conditions. Shutterfly's customer support can take a look
> at your photos if you give them a call.

Conrad Weiler

<< shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
best prints. >>

I have stopped using online print services since getting prints from Costco
store in Bend, Oregon.

I Photoshop my pics for printing and load them on to a CD. Bring pics into
Costco and choose from 4x6 (0.19 cents); 8x10, 8x12 ($1.99); 11x14 b/w ($2.99);
12x18 (2.99). Glossy, matte, lustre finish printed on Fuji crystal archive
paper from Noritsu printer (320 DPI).

Best part -- WYSIWYG.

Best,

Conrad

PS Gene, one of the Costco workers at photo counter, is a jewel. The man is so
pleasant and nice amongst the usual busy uproar at Costco shops.

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Dave

Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> shutterfly,snapfish,Ofoto which of these online company produces the
> best prints. I got some matte print back from Shutterfly. About a
> third of them were to dark.

I've gotten good results from all of the above, but my current
favorite is http://www.ezprints.com/. The interface is a little busy,
but they offer lots of options, including panoramas.

Dave

Al

I have calibrated my monitor with Monaco Optix xr. Also I shoot
slides and use a film scanner to digitize them. I think my images are
ok they look correctly exposed to me. I will try Printroom.com on
some of the problematic images.

I had the images created with a matte finish.

Albert