Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Extending Cisco 2612 with additional FastEthernet

Extending Cisco 2612 with additional FastEthernet

Guan Foo Wah

Hi all,

I have been checking on cisco website and everywhere on extending my Cisco
2612 with additional FastEthernet/Ethernet port. It seems that WIC-1ENET and
other variants doesn't support 2612 but many other models like 1700.

However, I could be missing some other models of WIC or NM cards. So is
there anyway the cisco 2612 be extended to support more FastE/E ports?
Thanks.

Erik Tamminga

Hi,

I think the NM-1E will fit/work on the 2612. This is a 10Mb ethernet network
module. I don't think there are any fast-ethernet modules available for the
2612. Reason for this is that I think the 2612 won't be able to handle much
more than a throughput of 10Mbps.

Erik

"Guan Foo Wah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have been checking on cisco website and everywhere on extending my Cisco
> 2612 with additional FastEthernet/Ethernet port. It seems that WIC-1ENET
> and other variants doesn't support 2612 but many other models like 1700.
>
> However, I could be missing some other models of WIC or NM cards. So is
> there anyway the cisco 2612 be extended to support more FastE/E ports?
> Thanks.

Doug McIntyre

"Guan Foo Wah" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have been checking on cisco website and everywhere on extending my Cisco
>2612 with additional FastEthernet/Ethernet port. It seems that WIC-1ENET and
>other variants doesn't support 2612 but many other models like 1700.

Right, there is no Ethernet WIC that will work in the 2600. The
WIC-1ENET is for 17xx only. There's some new HWIC ethernet modules
only for the 1800/2800/3800 models.

>However, I could be missing some other models of WIC or NM cards. So is
>there anyway the cisco 2612 be extended to support more FastE/E ports?

Well, you don't have a FastE now, just a single 10. There's two
solutions. The NM-1E to get you one 10-Base-T port. Or the NM-16ESW to
get you a 10/100 port with a 16-port Switch attached.

If you don't need the token ring port on your router now, it may be
easier/quicker/cheaper to just buy a new 2801/2811 that will come with
dual FastE's if that is what you want.