Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cost of an email

Cost of an email

Turkey Cough

6000 to send a million emails??

It costs me nothing (above my monthly ISP charge) to send
an email, where does the 6,000 figure come from.

cucumber

On 22 Feb, 20:11, "Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 6000 to send a million emails??http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6385701.stm
>
> It costs me nothing (above my monthly ISP charge) to send
> an email, where does the 6,000 figure come from.

It's a government computer system so it probably doesn't have copy and
paste and it most certainly can't email more than one recipient at a
time. They would have had to type each one and manually check for
mistakes.

They've done very well if it only cost us 6000!

Gaz

cucumber wrote:
> On 22 Feb, 20:11, "Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> 6000 to send a million
>> emails??http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6385701.stm
>>
>> It costs me nothing (above my monthly ISP charge) to send
>> an email, where does the 6,000 figure come from.

> It's a government computer system so it probably doesn't have copy and
> paste and it most certainly can't email more than one recipient at a
> time. They would have had to type each one and manually check for
> mistakes.
>
> They've done very well if it only cost us 6000!

Our council, (seriously, this is true) prints out all emails for council tax
and housing benefit queries, and then scans them back in.

Gaz

NicHughes

On 22 Feb, 20:11, "Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 6000 to send a million emails??http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6385701.stm
>
> It costs me nothing (above my monthly ISP charge) to send
> an email, where does the 6,000 figure come from.

Your ISP is essentially giving you a flat rate deal on the basis that
you will not send out millions of emails at a time. Those few who do
send lots of emails are essentially subsidised by the majority who do
not but there are limits. Try it and see whether it works!

Even so the quoted figure is probably an overestimate, unless they got
some big consultancy to do it for them. It probably cost a few hundred
in bandwidth fees.

--
Nic

Turkey Cough

Nonsense the email would only be a few kB in size thus sending
1 million would use a bandwidth of a gew gigabytes. I have unlimited
bandwidth, so ISP's have a 40 gig cap (I would struggle to use that).
So it could easilly be done for less than 20, probably less than 10.
In reality nothing as I am sure this ammount of data woud have no effect
on their existing ISP charges.

"NicHughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
On 22 Feb, 20:11, "Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 6000 to send a million
> emails??http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6385701.stm
>
> It costs me nothing (above my monthly ISP charge) to send
> an email, where does the 6,000 figure come from.

Your ISP is essentially giving you a flat rate deal on the basis that
you will not send out millions of emails at a time. Those few who do
send lots of emails are essentially subsidised by the majority who do
not but there are limits. Try it and see whether it works!

Even so the quoted figure is probably an overestimate, unless they got
some big consultancy to do it for them. It probably cost a few hundred
in bandwidth fees.

--
Nic

David R

"Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lrpDh.29687$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nonsense the email would only be a few kB in size thus sending
> 1 million would use a bandwidth of a gew gigabytes. I have unlimited
> bandwidth, so ISP's have a 40 gig cap (I would struggle to use that).
> So it could easilly be done for less than 20, probably less than 10.
> In reality nothing as I am sure this ammount of data woud have no effect
> on their existing ISP charges.

Business rates are much stricter though, and 'unlimited' business tariff
would also be pricey.

However, someone *is* making a nice profit there. But it's the government;
they pay over the odds for things most of the time, especially when it comes
to I.T.

GB

"David R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Why are you lot fixated on the bandwidth cost?

It's quite difficult to send 1 million emails in one go, isn't it? You can't
just stuff 1 million addresses into the bcc box in OE and press send, can
you? So, you need special software to send that many. Then, you need to
worry about whether they'll all be filtered out as spam by your ISP. Plus,
can your ISP's system cope with 1 million extra emails going through?

Also, you presumably want them all to arrive fairly soon. Sending them all
individually at the rate of one a second, it would take about 12 weeks to
send them all.

GB

Oops, make that 12 days, not 12 weeks.

Doh

Turkey Cough wrote:
> 6000 to send a million emails??
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6385701.stm
>
> It costs me nothing (above my monthly ISP charge) to send
> an email, where does the 6,000 figure come from.

From an arsehole called Chris Lake who "editor of E-consultancy.com
which advises people on internet strategy."

"Last week I had lunch with someone who sends out 180,000 a week as a
newsletter, which cost him 600," he says. "That would make it 6,000,
but it could be much less or much more. Plus there are the resources to
craft it and put it together."

What a complete ****! Why does anyone let him near their strategy.

1) He believes figures given to him over lunch (as opposed to seeing
hard facts such as an invoice).
2) He then believes that 10 times as many would cost 10 times as much!

The 600 would be a fairly reasonable fee for a couple of days work for
someone to create the mail and send it - whether it was 180 or 18 million!

Turkey Cough

"David R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7qDh.29809$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lrpDh.29687$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nonsense the email would only be a few kB in size thus sending
>> 1 million would use a bandwidth of a gew gigabytes. I have unlimited
>> bandwidth, so ISP's have a 40 gig cap (I would struggle to use that).
>> So it could easilly be done for less than 20, probably less than 10.
>> In reality nothing as I am sure this ammount of data woud have no effect
>> on their existing ISP charges.

> Business rates are much stricter though,

If they have a business rate then they will have a buisness package
which will already able to cope with a few gigs of data more thn
comfortably.