Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Not booting

Not booting

Jewel

My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just turns
itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first screen -
I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly every
couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it will
boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
Anyone any ideas what to look for?
Many thanks

Baron

Jewel inscribed thus:

> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes.
> Just turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
> screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps
> regularly every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for
> 30 minutes, it will boot up as normal but again crash a little while
> later. Anyone any ideas what to look for?
> Many thanks

Its probably overheating !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

meerkat

"Jewel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d8b36c$0$8743$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just
> turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
> screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly
> every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it
> will boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
> Many thanks

More info needed !!
What is the machine ?.
How old ?.
What OS ?.
How many beeps in each block ?.

Soul Bandit

On Feb 18, 2:13 pm, "Jewel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just turns
> itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first screen -
> I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly every
> couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it will
> boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
> Many thanks

Sounds just like my system was doing so I opened the case up to allow
it to get free air and so far, it hasn't decided to crash yet.

ernie3point1

I had this problem for a while. I have found it to be related to two
causes. One, the CPU becomes overworked, and thermal cutoff protection will
cause the computer to reboot. So as others have suggested, opening the case
cover may help. Also, there are aftermarket CPU coolers that provide better
cooling than the stock heatsink/fan assembly.

The other cause of the problem could be not enough power. Have you added or
upgraded components recently? Also, many power supplies use their peak
rating to report the value (in watts) and this is misleading, since the
nominal power is considerably less. If you're building a gaming PC, be sure
that the +5V rails have adequate power (see the label). I say this because
I have made mistakes in the past until I learned to look for these thngs,
since manufacturers will more often than not report the most favorable
numbers.

I hope this information helps you.

"Jewel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d8b36c$0$8743$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just
> turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
> screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly
> every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it
> will boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
> Many thanks

Jesse

On 18 Feb 2007 13:12:28 -0800, "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Feb 18, 2:13 pm, "Jewel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just turns
>> itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
>> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first screen -
>> I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly every
>> couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it will
>> boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
>> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
>> Many thanks

>Sounds just like my system was doing so I opened the case up to allow
>it to get free air and so far, it hasn't decided to crash yet.

Try another power supply. jesse

Neil Green

"Jewel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d8b36c$0$8743$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20
> minutes, it crashes. Just turns itself off, no error
> message, no blue screen.
> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even
> get to the first screen - I just hear the hard drive
> then it stops) and it beeps regularly every couple
> of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30
> minutes, it will boot up as normal but again crash a
> little while later.
> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
> Many thanks

Almost certainly a failing power supply.

Alan S

Baron wrote:
> Jewel inscribed thus:
>

>> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes.
>> Just turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
>> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
>> screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps
>> regularly every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for
>> 30 minutes, it will boot up as normal but again crash a little while
>> later. Anyone any ideas what to look for?
>> Many thanks
>>

> Its probably overheating !

I agree, it is overheating. Check your CPU fan to see if it is working.
Don't keep turning it on until you fix it or you will burn up the
processor. I learned the hard way.

Alan S

Jesse wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2007 13:12:28 -0800, "Soul Bandit" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 18, 2:13 pm, "Jewel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just turns
>>> itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
>>> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first screen -
>>> I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly every
>>> couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it will
>>> boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
>>> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
>>> Many thanks
>>>

>> Sounds just like my system was doing so I opened the case up to allow
>> it to get free air and so far, it hasn't decided to crash yet.
>>

> Try another power supply. jesse

If he can hear the hard drive, that means his power supply is not over
heating, it is probably the processor over heating.

Jewel

"Jewel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d8b36c$0$8743$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My PC boots up as normal then after about 20 minutes, it crashes. Just
> turns itself off, no error message, no blue screen.
> If I try to reboot then, it won't (it doesn't even get to the first
> screen - I just hear the hard drive then it stops) and it beeps regularly
> every couple of seconds. If I turn it off and leave it for 30 minutes, it
> will boot up as normal but again crash a little while later.
> Anyone any ideas what to look for?
> Many thanks

It was the RAM which wasn't seated properly.

C836 not booting after ROMMON upgrade Uli Link Cisco 4 08-11-2009 08:06 AM
7970 not booting. dasbrow@gmail.com Cisco 0 03-19-2006 11:50 PM
erased flash by mistake, now not booting David Hodgson Cisco 3 03-02-2004 07:34 PM
4000 M+ not booting Duro Madera Cisco 2 12-24-2003 03:04 PM
CD Booting Not Greg Computer Support 7 09-21-2003 05:36 AM

Advertisments