Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Vista; please forgive my neivity

Vista; please forgive my neivity

ernie16

Ok I have been reading all these rants (not necessarily in this forum, but
on other web sites) about how Windows Vista is part of Microsoft's evil plot
to gain control over every last PC in the world, yadda yadda. They go on
and on about how Vista will take away your freedom to use your PC but never
actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista is such a
supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what specifically
about the new operating system is so dangerous?

Seniors Guide to Computers

"ernie16" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:r9_Bh.2457$Cr1.16@trnddc08...
> Ok I have been reading all these rants (not necessarily in this forum, but
> on other web sites) about how Windows Vista is part of Microsoft's evil
> plot to gain control over every last PC in the world, yadda yadda. They
> go on and on about how Vista will take away your freedom to use your PC
> but never actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista
> is such a supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what
> specifically about the new operating system is so dangerous?

Three words - Digital Rights Management
Microsoft wants to control how music and movies play on all computers.

Senior's Guide to Computers
http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

JTJersey

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:20:55 +0000, ernie16 wrote:

> Ok I have been reading all these rants (not necessarily in this forum, but
> on other web sites) about how Windows Vista is part of Microsoft's evil plot
> to gain control over every last PC in the world, yadda yadda. They go on
> and on about how Vista will take away your freedom to use your PC but never
> actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista is such a
> supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what specifically
> about the new operating system is so dangerous?

You must not have been looking very hard.

http://apcmag.com/5348/vista_defective_by_design
http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...s_vista_e.html
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...n_windows.html
http://frem.wordpress.com/2006/02/19...windows-vista/
http://apcmag.com/5049/10_reasons_not_to_get_vista
http://www.technobeta.com/posts/7-re...-to-buy-vista/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...1/article.html
http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gi...asons_to_.html

That took about 10 minutes.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

wallster

On Feb 18, 10:20 am, "ernie16" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok I have been reading all these rants (not necessarily in this forum, but
> on other web sites) about how Windows Vista is part of Microsoft's evil plot
> to gain control over every last PC in the world, yadda yadda. They go on
> and on about how Vista will take away your freedom to use your PC but never
> actually point out specific details as to why and/or how Vista is such a
> supposed instrument of evil. So I would like to know, what specifically
> about the new operating system is so dangerous?

I just had the unfortunate experience of a wiped out motherboard. Five
year old machine, worked good but a new system could be inevitable so
off i went to go buy a new machine. Like most of my friends, i use my
pc for emails, browsing the internet, and using a few programs that
i've purchased over the years. The pc i purchased has an Intel Celeron
D Processor 356 (3.33GHz), 120gb harddrive, and 512mb of memory.
Really a better machine than my five year old antiquated pc. Upon
purchase i realized that nobody (large chain electronic stores) stocks
a pc (of any brand) that does not have Vista loaded in as the
operating system. The new computer was purchased, set up, and fired
up... exciting! The initial start up was painfully long. I can't get
over how different XP is tha the new Vista. All the little things that
you learned on 98, ME, or XP are a bit different. Right click on the
desktop and "where's the trusty properties prompt?" there's a
"personalize" prompt now. The entire pc looks different. Open a
program and up comes a prompt asking if YOU want this opened, click
the allow prompt and it's on to the next five hundred same warning
prompts. I cleared out the programs that come bundled with the
computer and install my antivirus program along with some other
programs (mp3, dig camera software, etc) and this 512mb memory
installed system becomes a slug. I spend $75. for more memory
(doubling the 512 mb) and turn off all the user warning crap. I
configure the look so that it resembles an XP os so my kids, mother,
and wife can use it.
I don't no about dangers, i really dont care either. I dont download
things i'm not familiar with and between the AVG antivirus program
that updates daily and the spybot s&d that gets run periodically, i
feel as safe as i want it to be.
My thoughts on this new os is that if you can only buy a computer with
it preloaded, some might just get a mac with the os10 os. My Mom is in
her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!

walt
ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!

tony sayer

> My Mom is in
>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
>noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
>basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
>choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
>
>walt
>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!

Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
and free to download
--
Tony Sayer

Baron

tony sayer inscribed thus:

>> My Mom is in
>>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
>>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
>>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer
>>is noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the
>>ass for basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give
>>customers a choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
>>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
>>
>>walt
>>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
>>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
>>

> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of
> things and free to download
> --
> Tony Sayer

I would second that ! Since I dumped that M$ rubbish I've never
looked back!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

DH

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My Mom is in
>>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
>>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
>>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
>>noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
>>basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
>>choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
>>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
>>
>>walt
>>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
>>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
>>

> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
> and free to download
> --
> Tony Sayer

And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?

Thanks in advance,
Dave H.

JTJersey

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 03:29:52 +0000, DH wrote:

>> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
>> and free to download
>> --
>> Tony Sayer
>>

> And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave H.

I'm using Mandriva 2007. The 3D effects and transparencies are fun and
the rotating multiple desktops are real handy, but I think Mandriva 2006
was easier to set up and work with, especially for someone who is
unfamiliar with how to go about doing things. Definitely try version
2006.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

tony sayer

In article <QWtCh.64387$(E-Mail Removed)> , DH
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Mom is in
>>>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
>>>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
>>>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer is
>>>noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the ass for
>>>basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give customers a
>>>choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
>>>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
>>>
>>>walt
>>>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
>>>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
>>>

>> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of things
>> and free to download
>> --
>> Tony Sayer
>>

>And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Dave H.

I've been using Suse Linux but their all much of a muchness really. Some
prefer one flavour over another. What I do know is that a few old
machines, cast off Windoze boxes, were loaded with Linux and Open
office, Thunderbird, and Firefox all free software, and have been in
daily service for over a year now and have not crashed the once and been
no bother at all
--
Tony Sayer

Baron

axe the x's inscribed thus:

> "tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Mom is in
>>>her seventies and doesn't want to learn how to configure a computer
>>>system, she just wants to read some articles, and send and receive
>>>emails from friends and relatives. The idea of making windows safer
>>>is noble and probably needed but it seems like a huge pain in the
>>>ass for basic internet users like my Mom. PC companies should give
>>>customers a choice of operating systems. I would still be using 98.
>>>Just my personal thoughts. Good Luck!
>>>
>>>walt
>>>ps. the old pc is getting a new motherboard, i'll probably use that
>>>one over this one and put this one in my teenage daughters room!
>>>

>> Perhaps you should look at Linux, quite good for these sort of
>> things and free to download
>> --
>> Tony Sayer
>>

> And which version would you suggest to use rather than Vista?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave H.

I use SuSe Linux 10.0 and 10.2. I prefer 10.0! I don't know that I
care for the new look KDE ! Still looking for the way to use the old
style menus!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.