Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > XP Pro networking?

XP Pro networking?

Les Hemmings

Is there a site someone can recommend that takes you through all the
settings needed to manually (no wizards) network 2 pc's running XP pro with
a crossover cable for file and internet sharing?

I have the network cards installed, cabled up with a cat 5 crossover and
have run the Networking Wizard on both machines. Workgroup name the same but
still no internet sharing and the machines can't see each other.

I think I need to go through all relevant settings, services running on xp
etc. Networking still feels like a black art to me and I'm off now to try
and work out how to check IP address's, subnet masks and find out what it
all means.

But in the meantime, an idiot proof step by step guide covering all the
snags would really help.

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Les Hemmings

Les Hemmings wrote:
> Is there a site someone can recommend that takes you through all the
> settings needed to manually (no wizards) network 2 pc's running XP
> pro with a crossover cable for file and internet sharing?

It was bloody Zonealarm!!! Running on the xp firewall all if fine..

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Neil Green

"Les Hemmings" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Les Hemmings wrote:
>> Is there a site someone can recommend that takes
>> you through all the
>> settings needed to manually (no wizards) network 2
>> pc's running XP
>> pro with a crossover cable for file and internet
>> sharing?
>>

> It was bloody Zonealarm!!! Running on the xp
> firewall all if fine..
>
> Les
>
> --
> Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.
>

> "Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated
> Pooh!"
>
> "That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I
> won't tell you a 3rd
> time!"
>

> http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/
>
> http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php
>

> Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Zone Alarm is a piece of crap.
If you want a half decent firewall download an old
version of Sygate.
It used to be free for personal use but Symantec
bought it and you can guess the rest.
You can still find a copy of version 5 hanging around
the net.

Les Hemmings

Neil Green wrote:

> Zone Alarm is a piece of crap.
> If you want a half decent firewall download an old
> version of Sygate.
> It used to be free for personal use but Symantec
> bought it and you can guess the rest.
> You can still find a copy of version 5 hanging around
> the net.

Thanks Neil.. i'll take a look....

Les