Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > RAM Speed

RAM Speed

Kevin G.

I just purchased two 1 GB sticks of DDR2 RAM that run at 667 MHz. My
current system has two 256 MB sticks of DDR2 RAM that run at 533 MHz.

Which would perform faster -- utilizing just the two new sticks of
memory (2 GB total) that run at 667 MHz or utilizing all the two new
plus two existing sticks of RAM ( 2.5 GB) that run at 533 MHz?

Thank you,
Kevin

Baron

Kevin G. wrote:

> I just purchased two 1 GB sticks of DDR2 RAM that run at 667 MHz.
> My current system has two 256 MB sticks of DDR2 RAM that run at 533
> MHz.
>
> Which would perform faster -- utilizing just the two new sticks of
> memory (2 GB total) that run at 667 MHz or utilizing all the two new
> plus two existing sticks of RAM ( 2.5 GB) that run at 533 MHz?
>
> Thank you,
> Kevin

Apart from possible problems of mixing ram of different speeds, it can
only run at the speed that the motherboard will let it !!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Toby

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Kevin G. wrote:
>
>> I just purchased two 1 GB sticks of DDR2 RAM that run at 667 MHz.
>> My current system has two 256 MB sticks of DDR2 RAM that run at 533
>> MHz.
>>
>> Which would perform faster -- utilizing just the two new sticks of
>> memory (2 GB total) that run at 667 MHz or utilizing all the two new
>> plus two existing sticks of RAM ( 2.5 GB) that run at 533 MHz?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Kevin

> Apart from possible problems of mixing ram of different speeds, it can
> only run at the speed that the motherboard will let it !!
>
> --
> Best Regards:
> Baron.

My understanding is that it will run at the speed of the slowest stick, but
as your respondent pointed out the max speed is limited by the motherboard.
If your mobo runs 533 then you can put them all in running at 533 (if the
new ones are compatible)--if it supports 667 then if you want it to run at
that speed you'll have to leave out the 533 pieces.

Toby

Kevin G.

Thanks for your replies. It doesn't appear that the new sticks of RAM
are compatible with my motherboard. I get various "hardware errors"
and my PC reboots itself. When it comes back up after rebooting, the
network connectivity is not there, as I cannot connect to the
Internet.