Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot set SSID

Cannot set SSID

Eric

hi all,

I am currently writing code for an application on PPC 2003, and I have one
small, but serious problem for wireless connections. My application will
allow user to scan and find APs and PCs with 802.11 card, and connect one of
them. My code works well when scan the network: it will return a correct
list. When I try to establish a connection (I only tested ad-hoc connection
so far), it has following problems:

1) if I turn WZC on, it cannot connect to desired computer (or ad-hoc
network);
2) if I turn WZC off, it does connect to the computer, but I cannot send msg
to that computer with Winsock 16 seconds after the connection.

The following is the steps for connection:

1) set network infrastructure mode (OID_802_11_INFRASTRUCTURE_MODE)
2) Set authentication mode to
Ndis802_11AuthModeOpen(OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_M ODE);
3) set WEP status to Ndis802_11WEPDisabled(OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS);
4) set ssid (OID_802_11_SSID);

Is there any errors? Thanks.....

Benoît Bousquet

Are you releasing/renewing DHCP?

-BB

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi all,
>
> I am currently writing code for an application on PPC 2003, and I have one
> small, but serious problem for wireless connections. My application will
> allow user to scan and find APs and PCs with 802.11 card, and connect one

of
> them. My code works well when scan the network: it will return a correct
> list. When I try to establish a connection (I only tested ad-hoc

connection
> so far), it has following problems:
>
> 1) if I turn WZC on, it cannot connect to desired computer (or ad-hoc
> network);
> 2) if I turn WZC off, it does connect to the computer, but I cannot send

msg
> to that computer with Winsock 16 seconds after the connection.
>
> The following is the steps for connection:
>
> 1) set network infrastructure mode (OID_802_11_INFRASTRUCTURE_MODE)
> 2) Set authentication mode to
> Ndis802_11AuthModeOpen(OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_M ODE);
> 3) set WEP status to Ndis802_11WEPDisabled(OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS);
> 4) set ssid (OID_802_11_SSID);
>
> Is there any errors? Thanks.....

Eric

this might be the point. I will try that.. but which case are you refering
to? WZC on or off?

"Benoît Bousquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you releasing/renewing DHCP?
>
> -BB
>
> "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hi all,
> >
> > I am currently writing code for an application on PPC 2003, and I have

one
> > small, but serious problem for wireless connections. My application will
> > allow user to scan and find APs and PCs with 802.11 card, and connect

one
> of
> > them. My code works well when scan the network: it will return a correct
> > list. When I try to establish a connection (I only tested ad-hoc

> connection
> > so far), it has following problems:
> >
> > 1) if I turn WZC on, it cannot connect to desired computer (or ad-hoc
> > network);
> > 2) if I turn WZC off, it does connect to the computer, but I cannot send

> msg
> > to that computer with Winsock 16 seconds after the connection.
> >
> > The following is the steps for connection:
> >
> > 1) set network infrastructure mode (OID_802_11_INFRASTRUCTURE_MODE)
> > 2) Set authentication mode to
> > Ndis802_11AuthModeOpen(OID_802_11_AUTHENTICATION_M ODE);
> > 3) set WEP status to Ndis802_11WEPDisabled(OID_802_11_WEP_STATUS);
> > 4) set ssid (OID_802_11_SSID);
> >
> > Is there any errors? Thanks.....

Benoît Bousquet

My experiences are limited to PCs running XP/2000 and sending NDIS requests
from a filter driver. Everything started behaving properly once I disabled
WZC. But, obviously, you have to release/renew DHCP on the adapter once you
associate to a new AP or you'll keep trying to use the IP that was given to
you by the previous AP's DHCP server.