Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Vista OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)

Vista OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)

Derek

Hi,

I've bought an OEM version of Windows Vista Premium. On the box it says it's
intended for system builders only and then says:

"If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system it
must also be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer
using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK).

For information about using the OPK and how to obtain the OPK see
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/OPK"

Are they saying that it will be physically impossible for me to install
Vista unless I use the OPK or do they mean that to comply with the license I
have to use the OPK?

It seems that you have be registered with Microsoft before you can get an
OPK.

I'd be very grateful for any assistance with this one as I don't want to
break the seal on the box and then find I can't install it and can't get a
refund either.

TIA,

Derek.

Grappletech

"Derek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:W%4wh.194373$(E-Mail Removed) .uk:

> Hi,
>
> I've bought an OEM version of Windows Vista Premium. On the box it
> says it's intended for system builders only and then says:
>
> "If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system
> it must also be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled
> computer using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK).
>
> For information about using the OPK and how to obtain the OPK see
> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/OPK"
>
> Are they saying that it will be physically impossible for me to
> install Vista unless I use the OPK or do they mean that to comply with
> the license I have to use the OPK?
>
> It seems that you have be registered with Microsoft before you can get
> an OPK.
>
> I'd be very grateful for any assistance with this one as I don't want
> to break the seal on the box and then find I can't install it and
> can't get a refund either.
>
> TIA,
>
> Derek.

From what I read, you can't downlaod/install that OPK unless you're
registered as an OEM system builder. Not sure if they let anyone
register as a system builder. I'd take it back and get a refund. XP SP2
is fine. Vista doesn't impress me much. If you want a different OS,
download XandrOS Linux for free and start learning Linux and throw off
the shackles of Microsoft.