Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA-PSK

WPA-PSK

Randall

Hiya,

I'm trying to connect two WinXP machines through my D-Link
Extreme-G router using WPA-PSK. Both machines are WinXP
home ed., and I've updated the older machine (a laptop)
with the 815485 WPA support patch.

When I apply WPA-PSK to the router, one machine connects
OK but the other gives me an error message saying that the
password (passkey) needs to be only 5 ascii characters.

Any ideas?

Thx. in advance,

-- Randall

Some more information:

In the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog, when
I highlight the appropriate SSID under preferred networks
and hit advanced, I see two different sets of options
under Network Authentication. One machine shows Open or
shared, and the other shows open, shared, wpa, and wpa-
psk. Is there another update out there I'm missing??

Thanks.

chris French

In message <301e01c470f7$72e28f60$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes
>Some more information:
>
>In the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog, when
>I highlight the appropriate SSID under preferred networks
>and hit advanced, I see two different sets of options
>under Network Authentication. One machine shows Open or
>shared, and the other shows open, shared, wpa, and wpa-
>psk. Is there another update out there I'm missing??

I assume everything connects ok if no encryption is applied?

Presumably this latter one is the one is the one that connects ok?

It sounds like the other one didn't update properly - try it again maybe

alternatively - is there a manufacturers utility to use with he wireless
card in the one that doesn't connect instead of WinXP's support? does
the card actually support WPA (not all do if they are older)
--
Chris French

Thanks Chris.

I think you're right, and it's my old 802.11B PC Card
that's an issue. But a strange question remains.. In
Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog, when I
select Properties for my SSID, wouldn't XP let me see more
than just open and shared as options? I XP smart enought
to limit my options based on my PC card's limitations?

Perhaps.. and perhaps I should try a new pc card.

Thanks again.

-- Randall