Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Accessing 2nd hard drive

Accessing 2nd hard drive

Hurricane1000

I had my 2 hard drives put into one machine and now I don't know how to
access the 2nd hard drive because the guy that did the work went on
vacation. I can search files individually by using the "Search" but I
want to access the whole hard drive. Thanks.

Baron

Hurricane1000 wrote:

> I had my 2 hard drives put into one machine and now I don't know how
> to access the 2nd hard drive because the guy that did the work went
> on vacation. I can search files individually by using the "Search"
> but I want to access the whole hard drive. Thanks.

Assuming that the boot drive is C: then the other will be the next
free letter.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Hurricane1000

C is the boot and E is the 2ndary, but how can I get the desktop to
come up like the C does? Thanks.

Anthony Wilson

"Hurricane1000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> C is the boot and E is the 2ndary, but how can I get the desktop to
> come up like the C does? Thanks.

Can you give more info? If the OS is on C and not on E, E won't "come up"
ever, even as a desktop because you are booting from C. Check the bios and
the boot.ini file if you are running NT or similar OS. If E is only storage,
it will never boot and plays no part in the desktop.

Baron

Anthony Wilson wrote:

> "Hurricane1000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> C is the boot and E is the 2ndary, but how can I get the desktop to
>> come up like the C does? Thanks.
>>

> Can you give more info? If the OS is on C and not on E, E won't
> "come up" ever, even as a desktop because you are booting from C.
> Check the bios and the boot.ini file if you are running NT or
> similar OS. If E is only storage, it will never boot and plays no
> part in the desktop.

Yes I agree! Look in my computer and you will see the other drive.
Simply click on it !!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Hurricane1000

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. The OS is XP. The boot.ini
is like calculus to me. That's why I took it to have this stuff done. I
thought I might have the OS on both hard drives if that's possible.

Baron

Hurricane1000 wrote:

> Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. The OS is XP. The
> boot.ini is like calculus to me. That's why I took it to have this
> stuff done. I thought I might have the OS on both hard drives if
> that's possible.

Yes you can, in fact you can have multiple OS on the same hard disk!
But you can only boot from one of them ! Which rather makes having two
copies of the same OS a little pointless!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

Hurricane1000 wrote:
> Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. The OS is XP. The boot.ini
> is like calculus to me. That's why I took it to have this stuff done. I
> thought I might have the OS on both hard drives if that's possible.

suppose an OS is on that drive too.. and the drive letter is E..

then using "my computer" go to

e:\documents and settings\username\desktop

as in click E then click "documents and settings" then (within that
you'll see more folders, username folders), click whatever username, (a
few folders will appeara for different users of that computer). Then
click the desktop folder within the username folder, to see their
desktop

documents and settings

--------username

| ------desktop

I hope you understnad the hierarchical view.. above..

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

Baron wrote:
> Hurricane1000 wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. The OS is XP. The
> > boot.ini is like calculus to me. That's why I took it to have this
> > stuff done. I thought I might have the OS on both hard drives if
> > that's possible.

> Yes you can, in fact you can have multiple OS on the same hard disk!
> But you can only boot from one of them ! Which rather makes having two
> copies of the same OS a little pointless!
>
> --

useful if one gets corrupt. You can use the backup one temporarily,
and it may help to fix the other, being able to view,read,write to
files on the partition with the corrupt copy of xp.

Also, I think if you use HyperOS, it's like a boot manager + more, it
works by loading them all in ram and letting you flick between them..
that's what i've heard anyway . So, that'd be another reason for 2 of
the same OSs.