Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer problem. Please help.

Computer problem. Please help.

Todd Anderson

Hi,

I put a computer together out of old parts and shipped it to my parents
for Christmas. It worked perfectly before I shipped it but when it arrived
yey plugged everything in and turned t on, nothing happened. The power
light on the case and monitor came n but then the monitor light went from
green to amber and nothing was pinted nor was there any HD access,
CD-rom spin-up, or BIOS beeps. We unplugged all the extraneous cables
and tried again, same thing. We opened the case and made sure the video
card, memory, and processor were well seeded (slot 1 processor). It
appears that the floppy drive controller cable had come lose during transit
so we fixed that but still no luck.

It doesn't even appear to be getting to any BIOS functionality or I'd
expect some beep code. Any thoughts on what to do from here? I
suspect that the battery on the motherboard is dead because the machine
did have time problems before but that probably wouldn't cause this
behavior we're seeing right?

thanks,

Todd

Brian

This kind of thing can happen when shipping a system. Your monitor goes to
amber because it is not getting a video signal from the computer.
What I usually do is:
If you have a multimeter test the batery(take it off of the motherboard to
test voltage) If it is a CR2032 it should be 3 volts. Less than 2 volts I
would swap but if you dont have one handy 2 volts and up should get the
system running (change when you can)

Start by unplugging all external cables except power, video, keyboard (and
mouse because it's sometimes easier to navigate but not necessary).

If the system still is not booting but the CPU fan is spinning (which means
you have power, I'll cover no power below *also), open the case and unplug
all power cables to drives and data cables to drives, try it again.

If you still have nothing, unplug all add on cards (modem, sound etc) except
video, unplug and reseat the video card (make sure the monitor is turned off
and unplugged from the card when you do this!!) and try again
If you still get nothing, remove ALL memory and boot to see if you get a
memory error. If you do get the error try putting in one stick of memory in
slot 0, then try the other if that did not boot..if you do not get the error
try reseating the CPU

If at this point you are still not booting the problem could be either the
CPU or the motherboard (everything else has been removed) I recommend
replacing both together

*If the CPU fan is NOT spinning its a power issue, turn it off and try
cycling the voltage switch on the back of the power supply. Its usually red
and switches from 120 to 250volts. Make sure it's back on 120 when you start
it again. If your CPU fan is not spinning it's the power supply, replace it.

If at some point the system boots the start adding the components removed
one at a time to see where the problem is. It could be a faulty card or
slot, too much power drain for the power supply, bad IDE/SATA drive etc.

Hope this helps
Brian

Todd Anderson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This kind of thing can happen when shipping a system. Your monitor goes to
> amber because it is not getting a video signal from the computer.
> What I usually do is:
> If you have a multimeter test the batery(take it off of the motherboard to
> test voltage) If it is a CR2032 it should be 3 volts. Less than 2 volts I
> would swap but if you dont have one handy 2 volts and up should get the
> system running (change when you can)

So a bad system battery can cause the system not to boot? I would not
have expected that. I suspect the battery is bad so maybe that is the first
thing they should try.

> Start by unplugging all external cables except power, video, keyboard (and
> mouse because it's sometimes easier to navigate but not necessary).

Everything was working fine before the ship so I was looking for something
that the ship might have caused. I am not there so on the other end you
have
2 computer illeterates trying to diagnose the problem. Too much plugging
and unplugging of stuff on the motherboard is likely to end in disaster.

Grappletech

> Everything was working fine before the ship so I was looking for
> something that the ship might have caused. I am not there so on the
> other end you have
> 2 computer illeterates trying to diagnose the problem. Too much
> plugging and unplugging of stuff on the motherboard is likely to end
> in disaster.

If they still can't get it going via your phone instructions, tell them to
take it to the local starving PC technician advertised in the local Penny
Saver type rag. should be $50 or so.