Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How will Microsoft effect the PC market in 2007?

How will Microsoft effect the PC market in 2007?

TN-Mike

With the release of Windows Vista soon approaching, it will be
interesting to see how this OS runs on current hardware and with
current software. Will it be necessary to upgrade RAM to > 1gig and
get a quad-core processor now? If so, many people may opt not even to
get Vista. What does this say about Micrsoft? Do they plan on
strong-arming PC vendors to put Vista in all their PCs from now on? If
so, both Micro$oft, the PC builfer/vendor will become profitbale
(again). While we, the common market who rely on our PCs for email,
internet, entertainment, and many other things, will become poor.

BillW50

"TN-Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> With the release of Windows Vista soon approaching, it will be
> interesting to see how this OS runs on current hardware and with
> current software. Will it be necessary to upgrade RAM to > 1gig and
> get a quad-core processor now? If so, many people may opt not even to
> get Vista. What does this say about Micrsoft? Do they plan on
> strong-arming PC vendors to put Vista in all their PCs from now on?
> If so, both Micro$oft, the PC builfer/vendor will become profitbale
> (again). While we, the common market who rely on our PCs for email,
> internet, entertainment, and many other things, will become poor.

Nope! As time moves on, more and more people are hanging on! I have been
buying PCs since '81. And many are still using Windows 98. And trust me,
by 2012, many will be still using Windows XP. So nothing to worry about.
Let those that pay the way for the latest and greatest, make things
really cheap for the rest of us. <grin>

--
Bill

bmoag

Vista is not compatible with most hardware and many software programs.
There are many arbitrary and pointless changes to the interface. They are
not better, they are different.
The worst aspect is that Vista requires constant approval for routine
background operations without informing the user clearly what they are
approving. Geeks may like it, average users will hate it and I predict the
first major revision of Vista will trash this supposed securty feature. I
predict that security, the supposed reason to go to Vista (as it was for XP,
ha ha ha) will be breached within days of release of the OS.
Microsoft can force users to this OS, and eventually will, but Vista is no
great improvement over XP and the projected price, $400, is frankly insane.
Microsoft just settled a class action lawsuit for overcharging for its
operating systems-I got a check for $183.
Even if the American courts do not find $400 price gouging the European
Union doubtless will, particularly when Microsoft announces they are
stopping support for "legacy" operating systems like XP.
The lawyers win again, consumers lose.
Anyone dumb enough to be considering buying Vista on the day of its release
should get the free beta. If that does not change your mind you deserve
Vista.

Duane Arnold

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:emcl15$c1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "TN-Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
>> With the release of Windows Vista soon approaching, it will be
>> interesting to see how this OS runs on current hardware and with
>> current software. Will it be necessary to upgrade RAM to > 1gig and
>> get a quad-core processor now? If so, many people may opt not even to
>> get Vista. What does this say about Micrsoft? Do they plan on
>> strong-arming PC vendors to put Vista in all their PCs from now on?
>> If so, both Micro$oft, the PC builfer/vendor will become profitbale
>> (again). While we, the common market who rely on our PCs for email,
>> internet, entertainment, and many other things, will become poor.

> Nope! As time moves on, more and more people are hanging on! I have been
> buying PCs since '81. And many are still using Windows 98. And trust me,
> by 2012, many will be still using Windows XP. So nothing to worry about.
> Let those that pay the way for the latest and greatest, make things really
> cheap for the rest of us. <grin>

Where are you people coming up with this non-sense? What makes you think
that Vista is solely for the home user consumer market or have you forgotten
the business user consumer side of it with workstations and servers O/S(s)
used in business or corporate solutions, which MS still dominates?

What makes you think that people won't go to Vista? It's the same old song
, dance and whine. The won't go to Win 2k, the went. They won't go to XP,
they went. They won't go to Win 2k3, they went. They won't go to Vista, they
are going to go.

One other thing, you are poor now and you'll be poor when they put you in
your coffin. So why worry about it? You had better hope/worry you got some
money for you to be buried with , when your time comes. You had better plan
for it now, before it's too late!

BillW50

"Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in message
news:Iinih.1294$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net
> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:emcl15$c1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "TN-Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
>>> With the release of Windows Vista soon approaching, it will be
>>> interesting to see how this OS runs on current hardware and with
>>> current software. Will it be necessary to upgrade RAM to > 1gig and
>>> get a quad-core processor now? If so, many people may opt not even
>>> to get Vista. What does this say about Micrsoft? Do they plan on
>>> strong-arming PC vendors to put Vista in all their PCs from now on?
>>> If so, both Micro$oft, the PC builfer/vendor will become profitbale
>>> (again). While we, the common market who rely on our PCs for email,
>>> internet, entertainment, and many other things, will become poor.

>> Nope! As time moves on, more and more people are hanging on! I have
>> been buying PCs since '81. And many are still using Windows 98. And
>> trust me, by 2012, many will be still using Windows XP. So nothing
>> to worry about. Let those that pay the way for the latest and
>> greatest, make things really cheap for the rest of us. <grin>

> Where are you people coming up with this non-sense? What makes you
> think that Vista is solely for the home user consumer market or have
> you forgotten the business user consumer side of it with workstations
> and servers O/S(s) used in business or corporate solutions, which MS
> still dominates?
> What makes you think that people won't go to Vista? It's the same
> old song , dance and whine. The won't go to Win 2k, the went. They
> won't go to XP, they went. They won't go to Win 2k3, they went. They
> won't go to Vista, they are going to go.
>
> One other thing, you are poor now and you'll be poor when they put
> you in your coffin. So why worry about it? You had better hope/worry
> you got some money for you to be buried with , when your time comes.
> You had better plan for it now, before it's too late!

Where am I coming from? From 25 years of experience. Where are you
coming from?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx

Nothing new here! Been doing some of this since 1985. <grin>

--
Bill

Duane Arnold

"
> Where am I coming from? From 25 years of experience. Where are you coming
> from?

I have been doing it since 1971 in the IT field, when Apple was in a wodden
box, and I am still going strong. You do the math.

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx
>
> Nothing new here! Been doing some of this since 1985. <grin>

I am not even going to bother to read it.

It's the same old BS, bitch and whine. They are going to use Vista, with
business and home users alike going to the platform. There is nothing you or
anyone else sitting up in some NG making worthless comments can do about it,
other than provide lworthless lip service.. <VBG>

BillW50

"Duane Arnold" <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote in message
news:C_vih.1394$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net
> "
>> Where am I coming from? From 25 years of experience. Where are you
>> coming from?

> I have been doing it since 1971 in the IT field, when Apple was in a
> wodden box, and I am still going strong. You do the math.

The first Apple wasn't even built untill 1975. So I did do the math. And
the first computer I used was the VTAS computer. This was the one
installed on the lunar landers. Although my first PC wasn't until '81.

>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx
>>
>> Nothing new here! Been doing some of this since 1985. <grin>
>>

> I am not even going to bother to read it.

I have found closed minded individuals don't bother to read anything
they will be uncomfortable reading.

> It's the same old BS, bitch and whine. They are going to use Vista,
> with business and home users alike going to the platform. There is
> nothing you or anyone else sitting up in some NG making worthless
> comments can do about it, other than provide lworthless lip service..
> <VBG>

Oh Vista will only be a big hit if it were, only from being preinstalled
on new computers. Luckily this is the case for Microsoft. But there
isn't much of anything that is new and exciting in Vista really. Also
not many people are going to purchase Vista for their older computer.
And thanks for the bloat in Vista, most current computers can't run it
anyway.

--
Bill

Duane Arnold

> I have found closed minded individuals don't bother to read anything they
> will be uncomfortable reading.

It's a clown's statement and it's a moot point. I am going to comfortable
about something some company is doing that I have no control over or stock,
LOL. The only thing I'll be uncomforable about reading is the tax statement
my tax man has prepared for 2006 and how much I might have to pay the State
and Federal.

> Oh Vista will only be a big hit if it were, only from being preinstalled
> on new computers. Luckily this is the case for Microsoft. But there isn't
> much of anything that is new and exciting in Vista really. Also not many
> people are going to purchase Vista for their older computer. And thanks
> for the bloat in Vista, most current computers can't run it anyway.

And you're some kind of an expert here? You're not an expert on anything
,other than, your worthless existence on this Earth. You need to pay
attention and be an expert to your worthless existence on this Earth,
instead of you pretending you have your finger on the plus of IT around the
world - you don't.

Duane Arnold

<connrection>

I am going to uncomfortable about something some company is doing that I
have no control over or stock,
LOL.

<correction>

It's been a long day at the job doing .NET programming, looking at a
computer screen all day long.

Mr. Arnold

> The first Apple wasn't even built untill 1975. So I did do the math. And
> the first computer I used was the VTAS computer. This was the one
> installed on the lunar landers. Although my first PC wasn't until '81.

I missed this one and I really don't want to know your history. <g>

And what math are you talking about in regards to your 25 years of what,
that I was referring to? You're the one who played the years card, only
to run into someone that had more years on the card. <g>

I'll say it again. I have been doing it since 1971 when Apple was in a
sodden box. I don't care when Apple was built. It can be 1975, 85, 95,
05, 15. I got your 25 years, which you put out there. <g>

To hear you tell it, you're some kind of an expert's expert with your
finger on the IT pulse around the world.

What can I say? <VBG>