Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > great, now what

great, now what

ChristyLynn

Now out of the blue, not having done any windows updates or downloads
whatsoever I have a new problem. When I start up it gets stuck at the
Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut down and restart then
the screen comes up asking if I want to start normally or to do the last
known good configuration... which I opt for and it starts up fine. This has
happened about 3 times in the past week, or about 3 out of the last 10 times
I have booted up. Any ideas?

Duane Arnold

"ChristyLynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v70ih.7986$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now out of the blue, not having done any windows updates or downloads
> whatsoever I have a new problem. When I start up it gets stuck at the
> Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut down and restart then
> the screen comes up asking if I want to start normally or to do the last
> known good configuration... which I opt for and it starts up fine. This
> has happened about 3 times in the past week, or about 3 out of the last 10
> times I have booted up. Any ideas?

Why don't you take the Start-up Normally path and see what happens? It may
correct itself. I have never had a reason to restore to the Last Know
Configuration, even when I have crashed the machine by powering off instead
of doing a controlled log off and shutdown.

ChristyLynn

start up normally does nothing, only last known config or safe mode lets me
in

Neil Green

"ChristyLynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:v70ih.7986$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now out of the blue, not having done any windows
> updates or downloads whatsoever I have a new
> problem. When I start up it gets stuck at the
> Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut
> down and restart then the screen comes up asking if
> I want to start normally or to do the last known
> good configuration... which I opt for and it starts
> up fine. This has happened about 3 times in the
> past week, or about 3 out of the last 10 times I
> have booted up. Any ideas?

Try a system restore to a point before this happened.
Sounds like a software corruption, which are fairly
common.

Chet39

I had a similar situation a few months ago. Turns out my A/V had gotten
corrupted by something dumb I had done. I was able to start in safe mode so
I uninstalled the A/V and was able to boot normally. I then installed A/V
from scratch and everything is OK.

I'm not saying it's your A/V but some program that starts at bootup has
gotten corrupted. It might take some fiddling to figure out which one.

"ChristyLynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v70ih.7986$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now out of the blue, not having done any windows updates or downloads
> whatsoever I have a new problem. When I start up it gets stuck at the
> Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut down and restart then
> the screen comes up asking if I want to start normally or to do the last
> known good configuration... which I opt for and it starts up fine. This
> has happened about 3 times in the past week, or about 3 out of the last 10
> times I have booted up. Any ideas?

BillW50

"Chet39" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I had a similar situation a few months ago. Turns out my A/V had
> gotten corrupted by something dumb I had done. I was able to start
> in safe mode so I uninstalled the A/V and was able to boot normally. I
> then installed A/V from scratch and everything is OK.
>
> I'm not saying it's your A/V but some program that starts at bootup
> has gotten corrupted. It might take some fiddling to figure out
> which one.
> "ChristyLynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:v70ih.7986$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Now out of the blue, not having done any windows updates or downloads
>> whatsoever I have a new problem. When I start up it gets stuck at
>> the Windows Is Starting Up.... when I manually shut down and
>> restart then the screen comes up asking if I want to start normally
>> or to do the last known good configuration... which I opt for and it
>> starts up fine. This has happened about 3 times in the past week,
>> or about 3 out of the last 10 times I have booted up. Any ideas?

Get Windows running, go to the Command Prompt and type:

CHKDSK /F

It will say it can't right now, but can once it reboots and hit the Y
key. Then reboot (whatever works) and just maybe, the problem is gone.
Can be done under safe mode too. <grin>

--
Bill