Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How do people use wireless outside their home network?

How do people use wireless outside their home network?

jtees4

Just curoious as to what options there are outside the home. I bought
my son a laptop whiuch he uses at home and at school where networks
are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
options? Thanks for any info.

Alex Clayton

"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just curoious as to what options there are outside the home. I bought
> my son a laptop whiuch he uses at home and at school where networks
> are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
> time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
> options? Thanks for any info.

WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The offers
would be on their web sites.
Moderation is for monks."

[Lazarus Long]

jtees4

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:08:11 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Just curoious as to what options there are outside the home. I bought
>> my son a laptop whiuch he uses at home and at school where networks
>> are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
>> time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
>> options? Thanks for any info.

>WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
>networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
>cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The offers
>would be on their web sites.

Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
networks are located?

Alex Clayton

"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
> networks are located?

There are many here's one.
http://wi-fi.jiwire.com/

If you type wifi finder into a search engine you find several of these. Now
how up to date they are I don't know.
--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin
Franklin

Duane Arnold

"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:08:11 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Just curoious as to what options there are outside the home. I bought
>>> my son a laptop whiuch he uses at home and at school where networks
>>> are available. What other options are there to be connected all the
>>> time everywhere you go? Also what are the most reasonable cost
>>> options? Thanks for any info.

>>WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
>>networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
>>cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The
>>offers
>>would be on their web sites.

> Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
> networks are located?

You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
in your town.

Duane

jtees4

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:06:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
<Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:

>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:08:11 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>>WiFi is becoming very popular. The only thing to watch for is "open
>>>networks" while free, are not secure, so you have to be careful. The big
>>>cell providers offer wireless which is secure as your cell phone. The
>>>offers
>>>would be on their web sites.

>> Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
>> networks are located?

>You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
>Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
>connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
>unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
>in your town.
>
>Duane

Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
setting? Thanks.

Alex Clayton

"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
> Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
> setting? Thanks.

One other thing you should do anyway, but especially hopping on open
networks is make sure you have a working firewall. The one built into
Windows is pretty much a joke. Zone Labs offer's a good one for free.

Moderation is for monks."

[Lazarus Long]

jtees4

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:30:31 -0800, "Alex Clayton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>>

>> Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
>> Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
>> setting? Thanks.

>One other thing you should do anyway, but especially hopping on open
>networks is make sure you have a working firewall. The one built into
>Windows is pretty much a joke. Zone Labs offer's a good one for free.

Thanks, I usually disable the Windows Firewall. I use ZoneAlarm on one
computer and Kerio on another.My son's computer is currently under a
trial of McAfee. He gets Semantic free from his school so he will use
their virus protection with either ZA or Kerio after that. Thanks
again.

Bob

Duane Arnold wrote:

> > Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
> > networks are located?

> You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
> Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
> connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
> unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
> in your town.

Is 200' still a average max range for picking up wifi?

Duane Arnold

"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:06:56 GMT, "Duane Arnold"
> <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> wrote:
>

>>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Thanks. Wouldyou know of a listing or a way to find pout where open
>>> networks are located?

>>You get a computer that's running Windows XP with the Wireless Zero
>>Configuration/*roaming* enabled, you roam around your town, and you'll
>>connect to all the open wireless networks. They are tons and tons of
>>unprotected wireless networks the computer will connect to I would suspect
>>in your town.
>>
>>Duane
>>

> Yes his laptop has xp, so I will check it later today when I see him.
> Maybe you can give me a heads up of exactly where to find this
> setting? Thanks.

It most likely is already active. You'll find out when it you put a wireless
card in the laptop and it shows the list of networks in the area. You just
walk around in the your area. However, if WZC is not active, then you got to
Start Button/Control/Panel/Perform and Maint/Admin Tools/Services and you
see the Wireless Zero Config Listed in the services.

Duane