Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Memory Question

Memory Question

Keeker

I have a question about memory. When i bought this e-machines computer, the
box, the labels on the computer, and even the sales person in walmart said
that it has 512 mb ram. but when i start up the computer i find out that it
only has something like 384 mb ram available and 128 mb SHARED
MEMORY....what is shared memory, and is there a way to not have it so i can
play my games, which require 512 mb ram??

hope this makes sense

keeker

It has removed 36 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0660-0, 12/19/2006
Tested on: 12/19/2006 1:57:42 PM

Pen

Keeker wrote:
> I have a question about memory. When i bought this e-machines computer, the
> box, the labels on the computer, and even the sales person in walmart said
> that it has 512 mb ram. but when i start up the computer i find out that it
> only has something like 384 mb ram available and 128 mb SHARED
> MEMORY....what is shared memory, and is there a way to not have it so i can
> play my games, which require 512 mb ram??
>

> hope this makes sense
>

> keeker

The short answer is NO. Shared memory is used by the video subsystem,
so unless you're willing to buy a video card for the machine or buy more
memory
there's nothing you can do.

Alex Clayton

"Keeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a question about memory. When i bought this e-machines computer,
>the box, the labels on the computer, and even the sales person in walmart
>said that it has 512 mb ram. but when i start up the computer i find out
>that it only has something like 384 mb ram available and 128 mb SHARED
>MEMORY....what is shared memory, and is there a way to not have it so i can
>play my games, which require 512 mb ram??
>

> hope this makes sense
>

> keeker

The "system" uses up a certain amount of it just to run. What's left is what
you have to work with. What is much more important is, is it upgradeable,
and how much. If so it will show it in the manual. It may well have a free
slot to double what you have, or it may have a 512 module that can be
replaced with a 1gig module. If so it's pretty cheap and easy to do. What
model #? If you can't find the info you should be able to look it up on line
easy.
Moderation is for monks."

[Lazarus Long]