Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Internet Explorer 7 and tabs

Internet Explorer 7 and tabs

John Lee

I have just downloaded IE7 through Windows updates, and have found my way
around it OK - but have one question.

I understand how you raise/allocate a tab prior to getting a site up on
screen, but if you have been looking at new sites and then when one is on
screen you want to tab to stay in view afterwards, how do you do it? I have
clicked on the new tab symbol but go around in circles. Perhaps I am missing
something obvious.

Thanks for any help

John

Pen

John Lee wrote:
> I have just downloaded IE7 through Windows updates, and have found my way
> around it OK - but have one question.
>
> I understand how you raise/allocate a tab prior to getting a site up on
> screen, but if you have been looking at new sites and then when one is on
> screen you want to tab to stay in view afterwards, how do you do it? I have
> clicked on the new tab symbol but go around in circles. Perhaps I am missing
> something obvious.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> John

I'm unsure what exactly you mean, but CTRL/Left Click opens links in a
new tab but leaves you in the present tab.

Chet39

It sounds as if you mean that you want more than one site to show on the
screen at the same time in separate windows. I don't think you can do that
with tabs, you would have to have separate copies of IE running to do that.

On the other hand, if you only want to have separate sites active so you can
select the one you want, then tabs is the right choice. Just hold the
control key down while you click on a link and it will open in a new tab
without disturbing the original one.

"John Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K2bfh.7770$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just downloaded IE7 through Windows updates, and have found my way
>around it OK - but have one question.
>
> I understand how you raise/allocate a tab prior to getting a site up on
> screen, but if you have been looking at new sites and then when one is on
> screen you want to tab to stay in view afterwards, how do you do it? I
> have clicked on the new tab symbol but go around in circles. Perhaps I am
> missing something obvious.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> John

John Lee

I'm sorry, I don't seem to have explained myself properly - but thanks for
your responses.
Imagine I am just flipping thro the web from site to site. I come across a
site that I would like to have tabbed. Now it will automatically have a tab
at the top of the screen, but as soon as I move to another site the tab will
disappear. My question is "What could I have done to make that tab stay
there?"

John

"Chet39" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> It sounds as if you mean that you want more than one site to show on the
> screen at the same time in separate windows. I don't think you can do
> that with tabs, you would have to have separate copies of IE running to do
> that.
>
> On the other hand, if you only want to have separate sites active so you
> can select the one you want, then tabs is the right choice. Just hold the
> control key down while you click on a link and it will open in a new tab
> without disturbing the original one.
>
> "John Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:K2bfh.7770$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have just downloaded IE7 through Windows updates, and have found my way
>>around it OK - but have one question.
>>
>> I understand how you raise/allocate a tab prior to getting a site up on
>> screen, but if you have been looking at new sites and then when one is on
>> screen you want to tab to stay in view afterwards, how do you do it? I
>> have clicked on the new tab symbol but go around in circles. Perhaps I am
>> missing something obvious.
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
>> John

Pen

John Lee wrote:
> I'm sorry, I don't seem to have explained myself properly - but thanks for
> your responses.
> Imagine I am just flipping thro the web from site to site. I come across a
> site that I would like to have tabbed. Now it will automatically have a tab
> at the top of the screen, but as soon as I move to another site the tab will
> disappear. My question is "What could I have done to make that tab stay
> there?"
>
> John
>
> "Chet39" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> It sounds as if you mean that you want more than one site to show on the
>> screen at the same time in separate windows. I don't think you can do
>> that with tabs, you would have to have separate copies of IE running to do
>> that.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you only want to have separate sites active so you
>> can select the one you want, then tabs is the right choice. Just hold the
>> control key down while you click on a link and it will open in a new tab
>> without disturbing the original one.
>>
>> "John Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:K2bfh.7770$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have just downloaded IE7 through Windows updates, and have found my way
>>> around it OK - but have one question.
>>>
>>> I understand how you raise/allocate a tab prior to getting a site up on
>>> screen, but if you have been looking at new sites and then when one is on
>>> screen you want to tab to stay in view afterwards, how do you do it? I
>>> have clicked on the new tab symbol but go around in circles. Perhaps I am
>>> missing something obvious.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help
>>>
>>> John

As I said before and John Lee said. ctrl/left click the new site and it
will
open in a new tab leaving the original.

Pen

Pen wrote:
> John Lee wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I don't seem to have explained myself properly - but thanks
>> for your responses.
>> Imagine I am just flipping thro the web from site to site. I come
>> across a site that I would like to have tabbed. Now it will
>> automatically have a tab at the top of the screen, but as soon as I
>> move to another site the tab will disappear. My question is "What
>> could I have done to make that tab stay there?"
>>
>> John
>>
>> "Chet39" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> It sounds as if you mean that you want more than one site to show on
>>> the screen at the same time in separate windows. I don't think you
>>> can do that with tabs, you would have to have separate copies of IE
>>> running to do that.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, if you only want to have separate sites active so
>>> you can select the one you want, then tabs is the right choice. Just
>>> hold the control key down while you click on a link and it will open
>>> in a new tab without disturbing the original one.
>>>
>>> "John Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:K2bfh.7770$(E-Mail Removed)...

> As I said before and John Lee said. ctrl/left click the new site and it
> will
> open in a new tab leaving the original.

Sorr4y John I meant Chet39.