Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Win98 vs Win98 SE

Re: Win98 vs Win98 SE

- Bobb -

Sorry about that.
Duh, I have a rule to delete any post with 98 in it. (Since I never used
it).
NOW I'll see the posting/replies.

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message news:...
> first posting failed:
>
> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message news:...
>> I'm putting together PC's to donate to local charities. I typically
>> do not get the media from the original owner ( or anything else other
>> than a keyboard or a mouse) so rather than doing a clean install I
>> usually have to go thru it and strip off any personal info/ ms office
>> apps and then run spyware cleaners /ccleaner etc to get it
>> "unpersonalized" ( close to back to factory settings) . I then go to
>> windowsupdate and get whatever I can updated.
>>
>> Today I got a Dell R400 that has Win98 ( not SE) , with Media Player
>> 6. When I tried to update I got a message - "no can do ". It's got to
>> be Win98SE to get a lot of the updates. I never owned a Win98 PC so
>> I'm not sure of the differences. I do have an old Dell Win98SE
>> factory CD ( not sure which Pc it came from). Is that an "upgrade" to
>> whatever's on there? or is that a complete new install ? Is Win98SE
>> a 2 minute upgrade to Win98 or a complete OS that needs its own
>> license , may/may not install, etc
>>
>> Anyone been here before ?

- Bobb -

>From:k35454 - wrote in groups.google.com....
>Maybe this helps. I have original discs 98 and SE. SE is a complete
>install and will accept updates and other additional programs >from
>the internet for which 98 is not eligible. k35454.

Can I leave the current 98 on there and "upgrade" the OS to 98 SE ?
Or must I wipe the install and start fresh ?
( with all apps needing reinstall etc - In which case I'll just donate
as-is and they can wipe it.)
====================

"- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
I'm putting together PC's to donate to local charities. I typically do
not get the media from the original owner ( or anything else other than
a keyboard or a mouse) so rather than doing a clean install I usually
have to go thru it and strip off any personal info/custom apps .
I then go to windowsupdate and get whatever I can updated.

Today I got a Dell R400 that has Win98 ( not SE) , with Media Player 6.
When I tried to update I got a message - "no can do ". It's got to be
Win98SE to get a lot of the updates. I never owned a Win98 PC so I'm not
sure of the differences. I do have an old Dell Win98SE factory CD ( not
sure which Pc it came from). Is that an "upgrade" to whatever's on
there? or is that a complete new install ? Is Win98SE a 2 minute
upgrade to Win98 or a complete OS that needs its own license , may/may
not install, etc

Anyone been here before ?

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Sorry about that.
> Duh, I have a rule to delete any post with 98 in it. (Since I never
> used it).
> NOW I'll see the posting/replies.
>

> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message news:...
>> first posting failed:
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message news:...
>>> I'm putting together PC's to donate to local charities. I typically
>>> do not get the media from the original owner ( or anything else
>>> other than a keyboard or a mouse) so rather than doing a clean
>>> install I usually have to go thru it and strip off any personal
>>> info/ ms office apps and then run spyware cleaners /ccleaner etc to
>>> get it "unpersonalized" ( close to back to factory settings) . I
>>> then go to windowsupdate and get whatever I can updated.
>>>
>>> Today I got a Dell R400 that has Win98 ( not SE) , with Media Player
>>> 6. When I tried to update I got a message - "no can do ". It's got
>>> to be Win98SE to get a lot of the updates. I never owned a Win98 PC
>>> so I'm not sure of the differences. I do have an old Dell Win98SE
>>> factory CD ( not sure which Pc it came from). Is that an "upgrade"
>>> to whatever's on there? or is that a complete new install ? Is
>>> Win98SE a 2 minute upgrade to Win98 or a complete OS that needs its
>>> own license , may/may not install, etc
>>>
>>> Anyone been here before ?

k35454

There is a separate "upgrade" disc but SE disc over a 98
didn't work for me. Needed wipe and install. k35454...

news(E-Mail Removed). ..