Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > antivirus opinions please

antivirus opinions please

Julian Treadwell

> Terry wrote:
>> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
>> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
>> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
>> in March.
>>
>> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
>> Anti-Spyware (below).

> you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
> audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
> marketting talk, and for eTrust.
>
> If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
> knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
> internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
> choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
> anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
> including it
> <snip>

I think he was quoting the blurb his ISP sent him about these products,
not opinions of his own. You've misread his post I think.

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

Julian Treadwell wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Terry wrote:
> >> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
> >> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
> >> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
> >> in March.
> >>
> >> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
> >> Anti-Spyware (below).

> > you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
> > audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
> > marketting talk, and for eTrust.
> >
> > If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
> > knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
> > internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
> > choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
> > anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
> > including it
> > <snip>
> >

> I think he was quoting the blurb his ISP sent him about these products,
> not opinions of his own.

yes he was. And it was marketting speak. And he shouldn't have included
it.

ChristyLynn

Get over it. And yet, you still are not being helpful.

Patrick

I use McAfee through Comcast for firewall and virus scanner. They are really
heavy on resources but i have no problem, my pc can handle it. I use Spybot
S&S for spyware. All three are great...saved me a lot of work many times. If
you go with the software provided by your ISP, and you runn XP, i would
suggest a minimum 1gb ram.

Patrick

"Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nbqdh.6881$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd
> like to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular
> programs, and if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it
> is due to expire in March.
>
> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
> Anti-Spyware (below).
> eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking
> about attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security for
> Home PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with industrial
> strength eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination provides automatic
> virus updates, ID Lock to lock down personal information, EZ to use Low,
> Medium and High firewall security settings for the novice user, Program
> Control to stop unauthorized programs from stealing your personal data,
> and Ad blocking and Cookie control features for a more enjoyable Internet
> experience.
> eTrustT Anti-Spam is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that
> makes sure you get messages from the people you know while redirecting
> messages from people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT
> Anti-Spam does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT
> and Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
> gain control of your inbox.
> eTrustT PestPatrolŪ Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
> spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft and
> diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral threats
> are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and privacy risk.
> eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and provides an added
> layer of protection for safe internet connectivity.

jtees4

I prefer and use AVG. I have also used AnitVir and Avast. I have
always run into problems with Avast (computer crashes) but most people
don't seem to have these problems.

>My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
>to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
>if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
>in March.
>
>The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
>Anti-Spyware (below).
>eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking about
>attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security for Home
>PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with industrial strength
>eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination provides automatic virus
>updates, ID Lock to lock down personal information, EZ to use Low, Medium
>and High firewall security settings for the novice user, Program Control to
>stop unauthorized programs from stealing your personal data, and Ad blocking
>and Cookie control features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.
>eTrustT Anti-Spam is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that
>makes sure you get messages from the people you know while redirecting
>messages from people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT
>Anti-Spam does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT
>and Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
>gain control of your inbox.
>eTrustT PestPatrolŪ Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
>spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft and
>diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral threats
>are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and privacy risk.
>eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and provides an added layer
>of protection for safe internet connectivity.

dogbreath

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 02:47:47 GMT, "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
>to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
>if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
>in March.

I don't know why this thread generated so much flame, because it's a
reasonable question and deserves a reasonable response. I concur with
others who suggest AVG. AVG is available from www.grisoft.com. The
link to AVG Free is way at the bottom of the page. They offer pay-for
versions as well, if you prefer.

There was some feeling the free version might not be as effective as
the pay-for software. I think they're all equally effective. The
difference is in Marketing. The free-ware is simple and stays simple.
The pay-for software keeps growing and growing and growing, and every
version is "longer, lower, wider" than last year's model, with
enhanced functionality, improved handling, and smoother sailing, and
that's how they suck up resources. And sell stuff.

I hear next year's McAfee is going to feature a link to your bathroom,
to monitor your personal habits. And it will offer a deluxe version
with GL-70. But it requires Vista, and 128GB of RAM.

I'm not financially challenged, and would buy the pay-for version in
an instant, if they would give me a guarantee of continued simplicity.
Until then I believe I'll stick with the free-ware.