Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > antivirus opinions please

Reply
Thread Tools

antivirus opinions please

 
 
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
in March.

The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
Anti-Spyware (below).
--------------------------------------------------
eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking about
attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security for Home
PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with industrial strength
eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination provides automatic virus
updates, ID Lock to lock down personal information, EZ to use Low, Medium
and High firewall security settings for the novice user, Program Control to
stop unauthorized programs from stealing your personal data, and Ad blocking
and Cookie control features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.
----------------------------------------------------
eTrustT Anti-Spam is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that
makes sure you get messages from the people you know while redirecting
messages from people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT
Anti-Spam does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT
and Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
gain control of your inbox.
------------------------------------------------------
eTrustT PestPatrolŪ Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft and
diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral threats
are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and privacy risk.
eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and provides an added layer
of protection for safe internet connectivity.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Barney
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
Terry wrote:
> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
> in March.
>
> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
> Anti-Spyware (below).
> --------------------------------------------------
> eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking about
> attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security for Home
> PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with industrial strength
> eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination provides automatic virus
> updates, ID Lock to lock down personal information, EZ to use Low, Medium
> and High firewall security settings for the novice user, Program Control to
> stop unauthorized programs from stealing your personal data, and Ad blocking
> and Cookie control features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.
> ----------------------------------------------------
> eTrustT Anti-Spam is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that
> makes sure you get messages from the people you know while redirecting
> messages from people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT
> Anti-Spam does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT
> and Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
> gain control of your inbox.
> ------------------------------------------------------
> eTrustT PestPatrolŪ Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
> spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft and
> diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral threats
> are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and privacy risk.
> eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and provides an added layer
> of protection for safe internet connectivity.
>
>
>

I like Spy sweeper and Fprot myself. Norton sux uses too
many resources IMHO
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Julian Treadwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
Barney wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software.
>> I'd like to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular
>> programs, and if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when
>> it is due to expire in March.
>>
>> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest
>> Control Anti-Spyware (below).
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> eTrustT EZ ArmorT helps prevent viruses and hackers from even thinking
>> about attacking your computer. CA's new standard in Internet Security
>> for Home PC's, combines award-winning eTrustT EZ AntivirusT with
>> industrial strength eTrustT EZ FirewallT. This robust combination
>> provides automatic virus updates, ID Lock to lock down personal
>> information, EZ to use Low, Medium and High firewall security settings
>> for the novice user, Program Control to stop unauthorized programs
>> from stealing your personal data, and Ad blocking and Cookie control
>> features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.
>> ---------------------------------------------------- eTrustT Anti-Spam
>> is the most effective and easy-to-use spam filter that makes sure you
>> get messages from the people you know while redirecting messages from
>> people you don't. No rules to create and manage: eTrustT Anti-Spam
>> does it for you. And it works seamlessly with Microsoft OutlookT and
>> Outlook ExpressT to block virtually all unwanted spam, allowing you to
>> gain control of your inbox.
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> eTrustT PestPatrolŪ Anti-Spyware detects and removes a wide variety of
>> spyware to protect your PC from unauthorized access, information theft
>> and diminished system performance. Spyware, adware and other non-viral
>> threats are rapidly spreading, and representing a major security and
>> privacy risk. eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware reduces this risk and
>> provides an added layer of protection for safe internet connectivity.
>>
>>
>>

> I like Spy sweeper and Fprot myself. Norton sux uses too many resources
> IMHO

AVG is my pick for anti-virus.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28415/lng/us/tpl/v5

AdAware is my pick for anti-spyware.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

I've used both these products for three years with no complaints at all.

I don;t have any recommendations for anti-spam software, I rely on my
ISP's spam filters and those I set up in my email client.

 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006

"Julian Treadwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4577af05$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Barney wrote:
>> Terry wrote:
>>> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software.
>>> I'd like to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these
>>> particular programs, and if I can safely use them instead of Norton
>>> Antvirus when it is due to expire in March.
>>>
>>> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest
>>> Control Anti-Spyware (below).
>>>

>> I like Spy sweeper and Fprot myself. Norton sux uses too many
>> resources IMHO

> AVG is my pick for anti-virus.
>
> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/28415/lng/us/tpl/v5
>
> AdAware is my pick for anti-spyware.
>
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> I've used both these products for three years with no complaints at
> all.
>
> I don;t have any recommendations for anti-spam software, I rely on my
> ISP's spam filters and those I set up in my email client.
>


I must say that I've been scrubbing someone else's pc to donate and
after running Ad-aware I checked the registry and still saw lots of
references to the previous owner ( where the kids had registered online
for kazza-like stuff and 'free screensavers' ). After Ad-aware, the info
was still there. I then ran Spybots and it got them. So I always run
both of them for scrubbing a PC.

 
Reply With Quote
 
q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006

Terry wrote:
> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd like
> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs, and
> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to expire
> in March.
>
> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
> Anti-Spyware (below).
> --------------------------------------------------


you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
marketting talk, and for eTrust.

If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
including it
<snip>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>
> Terry wrote:
>> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd
>> like
>> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs,
>> and
>> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to
>> expire
>> in March.
>>
>> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
>> Anti-Spyware (below).
>> --------------------------------------------------

>
> you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
> audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
> marketting talk, and for eTrust.
>
> If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
> knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
> internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
> choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
> anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
> including it
> <snip>




What?




 
Reply With Quote
 
q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006

Terry wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> >
> > Terry wrote:
> >> My internet provider, if you have broadband, offers free software. I'd
> >> like
> >> to know if anyone here has any knowledge of these particular programs,
> >> and
> >> if I can safely use them instead of Norton Antvirus when it is due to
> >> expire
> >> in March.
> >>
> >> The programs are eTrusts versions of EZ Armor, Anti-Spam and Pest Control
> >> Anti-Spyware (below).
> >> --------------------------------------------------

> >
> > you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
> > audience. What you have written below is really irrelevant here. It is
> > marketting talk, and for eTrust.
> >
> > If you want to know what is good, you don't think in terms of a
> > knowledgeless consumer, "robust" "industrial strength" "an enjoyable
> > internet experience". If you think like that then you shouldn't be
> > choosing software. And you shouldn't be posting your question to
> > anybody that would be swayed by that rubbish talk. So there's no point
> > including it
> > <snip>

>
>
>
> What?


if you cannot explain what of what I wrote, that you don't understand ,
or why you don't udnerstand it, then there isn't much I can do to help
you to understand it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
If you have no opinion or knowledge of the specific programs I was inquiring
about, maybe you shouldn't have responded at all.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
I'm worried that a free program wouldn't provide as good virus protection.
I've also heard that Norton, which I have always used, is the largest
resource hog, and I'd like to free up resources. Can someone site a
resource to read reviews on these free anti-virus programs? Do you feel
the free ones provide as good of protection?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
<(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote you should use your head a little bit and write for your target
>audience.


For instance, I don't know what you mean by this... besides insulting me.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Personal Antivirus Removal Guide (Remove fake rogue spyware calledpersonal antivirus) dfinc Cisco 7 08-06-2009 04:10 AM
symantec: norton antivirus versus norton antivirus corporate alexander rickert Computer Information 3 11-03-2004 09:37 PM
please help... ...me learn C++ please please please :) KK C++ 2 10-14-2003 02:08 PM
Sophos AntiVirus Vs Norton AntiVirus Tim Computer Support 7 08-16-2003 11:19 PM
Antivirus Questions - Norton Antivirus xmldso.cab file. Symevent? Nicole Kidman Computer Support 1 08-16-2003 06:13 PM



Advertisments