Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Win98 vs Win98 SE

Win98 vs Win98 SE

Robert Baer

- Bobb - wrote:

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4580469d$0$15423$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>
>>> update - I gave away 4 pc's and got 2 more in - trying to clean them
>>> up/get donor's info off them.
>>> On a clone, the HDD was toast so I put a spare drive into it - the
>>> drive had Dell's Win98 on it.
>>> I figured I'd wipe it out and reinstall so I booted from storebought
>>> Win98SE CD and chose new install. I got a few warnings "no going
>>> back" type messages - I clicked OK. The install goes for 4-5 minutes
>>> and then I get
>>>
>>> " Warning SU0168
>>> Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot
>>> be upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 98
>>> Upgrade." I wasn't trying to upgrade which is WHY I chose the
>>> "full install CD".
>>>
>>> I see a workaround at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/225252/EN-US/
>>>
>>> I'll try what they suggest ( although I'm not going from 95 to 98
>>> I'll look for similiar files) or fdisk and reformat , but any ideas
>>> as to WHY I got that message when I did not ask to update ? Just so
>>> I "get it" and will know in the future.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bobb
>>>

>> I understand that Dell and others have a special, hidden section on
>> the hard drives that acts in concert with their version of the BIOS.
>> That is what "proprietary" means, and i interpret it as "lock the
>> customer to our expensive crap".
>>

> But when I use a store-bought CD, and choose new install, why does
> microsoft consider that an "UPGRADE" and not iverwrite everything on the
> drive ( as I elected from their menu) ?
> BTW I did try the workaround - failed so I did an fdisk and reformat
> then install went fine.

When (most versions of a particular MS OS) "see" any version of MS
GUI, it is considered an "upgrade" even if the version is exactly the same.
I say "versions" because (say) you got Win2K; versions (or variants)
may be OEM, retail upgrade, retail full, retail professional, corporate
upgrade, corporate full, and who knows what else.
And they all act differently at some time in the installation phase.
Some cannot be used to upgrade an older OS, some can be used only to
upgrade from an older OS or same OS, etc.
And a quick look at the CD is, in many cases insufficent to determine
what you really have.
And if you have not used a number of these variants, you will not be
aware of those differences.
It is a mess that will continue...

- Bobb -

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:458094a9$0$15511$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> I understand that Dell and others have a special, hidden section
>>> on the hard drives that acts in concert with their version of the
>>> BIOS.
>>> That is what "proprietary" means, and i interpret it as "lock the
>>> customer to our expensive crap".
>>>
>>>====

>> But when I use a store-bought CD, and choose new install, why does
>> microsoft consider that an "UPGRADE" and not iverwrite everything on
>> the drive ( as I elected from their menu) ?
>> BTW I did try the workaround - failed so I did an fdisk and reformat
>> then install went fine.
>> ===

> When (most versions of a particular MS OS) "see" any version of MS
> GUI, it is considered an "upgrade" even if the version is exactly the
> same.
> I say "versions" because (say) you got Win2K; versions (or variants)
> may be OEM, retail upgrade, retail full, retail professional,
> corporate upgrade, corporate full, and who knows what else.
> And they all act differently at some time in the installation phase.
> Some cannot be used to upgrade an older OS, some can be used only to
> upgrade from an older OS or same OS, etc.
> And a quick look at the CD is, in many cases insufficent to
> determine what you really have.
> And if you have not used a number of these variants, you will not be
> aware of those differences.
> It is a mess that will continue...

So IF a HDD has an OS on it , AND I buy the full version of the new OS,
it wouldn't work ?
( if I didn't know how to format/manipulate what's there ? ) Just asking
from "an average person's" point of view. That seems unbelievable -
wouldn't MOST people buying an OS off the shelf be installing it on a PC
with an OS on there ? I can see that if you HAD an OS it would be
cheaper to buy the upgrade, (I've done that) but if you wanted to start
fresh, the install CD doesn't even give the option to "Erase what is
there?" and start fresh - very strange.
I'll accept it as fact but seems crazy that it wouldn't at least state:
" This HDD has an OS on it - are you sure that you want to overwrite
it?"
Bobb

Grappletech

A newer release of Linux is an option also, instead of Win98 SE.