Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Linux OS

Linux OS

Barney

What is the best way to get a copy of Linux for home use?

VWWall

Barney wrote:
> What is the best way to get a copy of Linux for home use?

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.itpeer.dyndns.org/tell_me...bout_linux.htm

You can download .iso files from many places and burn your own CDs, or
you can purchase CDs for just the cost of material and handling.

There are "live CDs", which will run without even installing.

Come on in!

--
Virg Wall

Jay MacDonald

you could try ubuntu, they send free linux cds:

http://www.ubuntu.org

jay,

news:lbfdh.321$(E-Mail Removed)...

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

Barney wrote:
> What is the best way to get a copy of Linux for home use?

Linux is a kernel, I think you need a linux distro.

Download a good distro,
The classic old site was I think www.linuxiso.org

seems to be down, maybe this quite good
http://linuxlookup.com/linux_iso

As for what distro to download.. I guess they're built with user
friendly intentions. GUI wise and in the programs included/bundled.

you can get more programs off the freshmeat site.. I never really got
into linux, I try again from time to time!

Grappletech

There's a book called 'Linux Made Easy' -- around $20 or so. It's a pretty
detailed reference manual for Linux, plus in the back of the book is CD
with Xandros Linux on it. Very easy to install. It'll ask if you want to
create a separate partition for Linux to live in. Then when you turn on
your PC, you can boot to Linux or Windows. I isntalled Xandros on all my
pc's. Works great. It recognized all my hardware. There are different
versions of Xandros on the CD. If one hangs up during installation, then
restart and go to the next configuration until you find one that installs.
Makes it easy because sometimes various flavors of Linux won't work with a
person's system.