Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > re: Rebates !

re: Rebates !

Barry Watzman

That's not going to do it. Have you checked the status of the rebate
online? How long has it been? While you can get just about all of your
rebates, if they don't show up in 90 to 120 days, you have to act and
contact them. Once you go past 4 months, there's usually a reason for
it. However, if it's "OnRebate" (Tiger Direct's rebate house ... may be
owned by them), you can check the status online, which you should have
done at the first sign of a question, issue or problem.

Doing rebates sometimes requires work. Not always, not most of the
time, but maybe 10% of the time.

BillW50 wrote:
> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45738496$0$6942$(E-Mail Removed)
>> I do about 100 rebates a year (was even more, but there aren't as many
>> as there used to be). I get almost all of them. On perhaps 10% of
>> them, followup is necessary. I've had an unusally large number denied
>> just recently (about a half dozen), but all of them got "fixed" with
>> just a single E-Mail (fixed means that online status is showing as
>> valid and approved ... it's too soon to have the check yet).

> Okay I will give TigerDirect a couple more months.

BillW50

news:457492a0$0$13714$(E-Mail Removed)
> BillW50 wrote:
>> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:45738496$0$6942$(E-Mail Removed)
>>> I do about 100 rebates a year (was even more, but there aren't as
>>> many as there used to be). I get almost all of them. On perhaps
>>> 10% of them, followup is necessary. I've had an unusally large
>>> number denied just recently (about a half dozen), but all of them
>>> got "fixed" with just a single E-Mail (fixed means that online
>>> status is showing as valid and approved ... it's too soon to have
>>> the check yet).

>> Okay I will give TigerDirect a couple more months.

> That's not going to do it. Have you checked the status of the rebate
> online? How long has it been? While you can get just about all of
> your rebates, if they don't show up in 90 to 120 days, you have to
> act and contact them. Once you go past 4 months, there's usually a
> reason for it. However, if it's "OnRebate" (Tiger Direct's rebate
> house ... may be owned by them), you can check the status online,
> which you should have done at the first sign of a question, issue or
> problem.
>
> Doing rebates sometimes requires work. Not always, not most of the
> time, but maybe 10% of the time.

Guess what? After 4 1/2 months it just came in the mail today.

Still got screwed on the Directv rebates though.

--
Bill

Guido

"So far 100% have come though"

Nice sig, YOU DICKHEAD !!!!

In addition:

**** YOU, "peter" asshole !!!
You must work for the rebate processor, ASSHOLE !!!!

**** YOU, ASSHOLE, AGAIN !!!!

I had to call PC Connection and threaten them with a lawsuit before they
agreed to rebate me $100.

Did I tell you to GET ****ED, ASSHOLE ????

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4572f42a$0$1343$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may still
>> not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been scammed this
>> way.
>>
>> 1) Directv offered $100 rebates on their high end receivers. I got 2 new
>> ones from Directv themselves who advertised the rebates. Guess what? The
>> rebate form was supposed to be in the box. It was not. So you don't get
>> the promised rebate.
>>
>> 2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100 rebate.
>> They make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a website fill
>> out a form, wait for an email, do some more website stuff. Print all of
>> this stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half months later no check.
>> Of course there are many stories like this:
>>
>> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consu...madness01.html
>>
>> It is do to the crap they teach in business colleges and universities. It
>> is called screw the customer and make the bottom line look great and get
>> a big bonus and leave before the trouble starts.
>>
>> --
>> Bill

> I hear this kind of crap all the time but to me it just does not wash.
> Every computer I have ever bought came with at least one rebate. A couple
> came with 2 or 3. Everyone who has ever learned to use a computer from me
> bought one with a rebate. So far 100% have come though. I follow the
> instructions. It's obvious to me the "problem" is people who are too
> stupid, and or too lazy to do so. Then of course they whine about how they
> were robbed.
> --
> 25% graduate functional illiterates. We should remove the warning labels
> from everything and let nature take care of the problem.
>
> Peter Weisbach

Matt Hickman

BillW50 wrote:

> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may still
> not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been scammed this
> way.
>
> 2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100 rebate.
> They make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a website fill
> out a form, wait for an email, do some more website stuff. Print all of
> this stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half months later no check.

I have to agree that TigerDirect.com and their cohorts at OnRebate.com
on the boderline of being scam artists. They make it as difficult and
confusing as possible to submit a rebate form, then deny or delay
after that. They just are not good people. My advice is to avoid them
like the plague.

--
Matt Hickman

Alex Clayton

"Guido" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BFmgh.2593$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> "So far 100% have come though"
>
> Nice sig, YOU DICKHEAD !!!!
>

> In addition:
>
> **** YOU, "peter" asshole !!!
> You must work for the rebate processor, ASSHOLE !!!!
>
> **** YOU, ASSHOLE, AGAIN !!!!
>
> I had to call PC Connection and threaten them with a lawsuit before they
> agreed to rebate me $100.
>
> Did I tell you to GET ****ED, ASSHOLE ????

ROTFLMAO!!
So you had your Mom call them? I doubt you did since it's obvious you are
a recent product of the public school system. As such I can see why you
never got your rebate. If you can't read the instructions it's kind of hard
to follow them all right. If you have a diploma you should see about taking
the school who gave it to you to court though. False advertising.
--
Stupidity should be painful

Barry Watzman

I do about 200 rebates per year. More than 90% come through with no
special effort (often late compared to when they were promised, but
within about 4 months. And a few come with lightening speed, I've had
rebate checks in had less than 2 weeks after I submitted them. But
that's the exception).

As for the other 5% to 10%, I get almost all of them following an
inquiry and, 3 or 4 times a year, a "resubmittal". I probably end up
losing about 2 rebates a year. So far, knock on wood, nothing large.
Obviously, I'm more aggressive about the large rebates (anything over
$30 to $50).

I currently have three $100 rebates outstanding on the "Hanns-G" LCD
monitors. Two are showing valid and approved online (but no check yet);
the 3rd was only submitted online about 2 weeks ago, it's showing
waiting for receipt of my documentation. I expect to get those (one of
them is with PC Connection) without intervention, but it will be another
30 days before I consider even the first one "past due".

Guido wrote:
> "So far 100% have come though"
>
> Nice sig, YOU DICKHEAD !!!!
>

> In addition:
>
> **** YOU, "peter" asshole !!!
> You must work for the rebate processor, ASSHOLE !!!!
>
> **** YOU, ASSHOLE, AGAIN !!!!
>
> I had to call PC Connection and threaten them with a lawsuit before they
> agreed to rebate me $100.
>
> Did I tell you to GET ****ED, ASSHOLE ????
>

> "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4572f42a$0$1343$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>>> No it is worse than this. Even if you do everything right, you may still
>>> not get your rebate. Just in the last 6 months, I've been scammed this
>>> way.
>>>
>>> 1) Directv offered $100 rebates on their high end receivers. I got 2 new
>>> ones from Directv themselves who advertised the rebates. Guess what? The
>>> rebate form was supposed to be in the box. It was not. So you don't get
>>> the promised rebate.
>>>
>>> 2) TigerDirect offered a Gateway MX6124 for $499 after a $100 rebate.
>>> They make you go through 4 hours of work to get it. Go to a website fill
>>> out a form, wait for an email, do some more website stuff. Print all of
>>> this stuff out and mail it in. Four and a half months later no check.
>>> Of course there are many stories like this:
>>>
>>> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consu...madness01.html
>>>
>>> It is do to the crap they teach in business colleges and universities. It
>>> is called screw the customer and make the bottom line look great and get
>>> a big bonus and leave before the trouble starts.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill

>> I hear this kind of crap all the time but to me it just does not wash.
>> Every computer I have ever bought came with at least one rebate. A couple
>> came with 2 or 3. Everyone who has ever learned to use a computer from me
>> bought one with a rebate. So far 100% have come though. I follow the
>> instructions. It's obvious to me the "problem" is people who are too
>> stupid, and or too lazy to do so. Then of course they whine about how they
>> were robbed.
>> --
>> 25% graduate functional illiterates. We should remove the warning labels
>> from everything and let nature take care of the problem.
>>
>> Peter Weisbach

Hertz_Donut

news:45822388$0$16982$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I do about 200 rebates per year. More than 90% come through with no
>special effort (often late compared to when they were promised, but within
>about 4 months. And a few come with lightening speed, I've had rebate
>checks in had less than 2 weeks after I submitted them. But that's the
>exception).
>
> As for the other 5% to 10%, I get almost all of them following an inquiry
> and, 3 or 4 times a year, a "resubmittal". I probably end up losing about
> 2 rebates a year. So far, knock on wood, nothing large. Obviously, I'm
> more aggressive about the large rebates (anything over $30 to $50).
>
> I currently have three $100 rebates outstanding on the "Hanns-G" LCD
> monitors. Two are showing valid and approved online (but no check yet);
> the 3rd was only submitted online about 2 weeks ago, it's showing waiting
> for receipt of my documentation. I expect to get those (one of them is
> with PC Connection) without intervention, but it will be another 30 days
> before I consider even the first one "past due".

One trick is to send the rebates with a Return Signature Required card.
When the envelope is delivered, a signature is required, and will be
returned to you. That way, you have proof that it was delivered, the date
it was delivered, and the name of the individual who signed for it. Of
course you should make photo copies of everything in the envelope prior to
sending it.

I had only one bad experience; I mailed a rebate that required the barcode
from the box, and when they claimed they "never received it", they asked me
to resubmit. I sent them the photo copies of what I had sent earlier, and
they denied it because it did not have the original barcode from the item's
box. I submitted a letter showing that "they" had lost it, yet they still
denied it. To this day I will *never* buy one of their products, no matter
how good the prices or rebates are.

Honu.

- Bobb -

"Hertz_Donut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsrKdnfHwf928wR_YnZ2dnUVZ_t2tnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...

<snipped>
> I had only one bad experience; I mailed a rebate that required the
> barcode from the box, and when they claimed they "never received it",
> they asked me to resubmit. I sent them the photo copies of what I had
> sent earlier, and they denied it because it did not have the original
> barcode from the item's box. I submitted a letter showing that "they"
> had lost it, yet they still denied it. To this day I will *never* buy
> one of their products, no matter how good the prices or rebates are.
>
> Honu.

I've had that happen to me on several MAD DOG products (from CompUSA) -
and will never buy another thing from them. There is no way that you can
dispute it when they say that they did not get the UPC barcode. I always
use a paperclip to attach it to the rebate form - and they still said
that I did not submit it. A copy of the form WITH THE PAPERCLIPPED upc
code was no good.
I will not ever buy any Mad Dog stuff ( with/ without a rebate)

Barry Watzman

Well, that is an option and I've done it on occasion on large rebates,
but frankly it's more trouble than it's worth, and some rebate houses
actually won't even accept rebates that come in that way.

In truth, even for the rebates that I've had issues with, being "lost"
simply has not been a problem. That has NEVER happened to me, yet
(although it's certainly possible ... in reality, and not because of the
rebate house "screwing around". But it's really rare.)

Among the reason for not doing that are the cost (almost $5) and the
fact that it means a trip to the Post Office for me to mail the rebate.
Given the relative infrequency of any problems in this regard, it's
really not worth it.

Another little known option is what the post office calls a "Certificate
of Mailing". This is a post office certificate which proves that the
item was sent, but unlike the return signature card it doesn't prove
that the item was received. However, in most cases proving that it was
sent is enough. And it only costs 90 cents.

Hertz_Donut wrote:
> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45822388$0$16982$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I do about 200 rebates per year. More than 90% come through with no
>> special effort (often late compared to when they were promised, but within
>> about 4 months. And a few come with lightening speed, I've had rebate
>> checks in had less than 2 weeks after I submitted them. But that's the
>> exception).
>>
>> As for the other 5% to 10%, I get almost all of them following an inquiry
>> and, 3 or 4 times a year, a "resubmittal". I probably end up losing about
>> 2 rebates a year. So far, knock on wood, nothing large. Obviously, I'm
>> more aggressive about the large rebates (anything over $30 to $50).
>>
>> I currently have three $100 rebates outstanding on the "Hanns-G" LCD
>> monitors. Two are showing valid and approved online (but no check yet);
>> the 3rd was only submitted online about 2 weeks ago, it's showing waiting
>> for receipt of my documentation. I expect to get those (one of them is
>> with PC Connection) without intervention, but it will be another 30 days
>> before I consider even the first one "past due".
>>

> One trick is to send the rebates with a Return Signature Required card.
> When the envelope is delivered, a signature is required, and will be
> returned to you. That way, you have proof that it was delivered, the date
> it was delivered, and the name of the individual who signed for it. Of
> course you should make photo copies of everything in the envelope prior to
> sending it.
>
> I had only one bad experience; I mailed a rebate that required the barcode
> from the box, and when they claimed they "never received it", they asked me
> to resubmit. I sent them the photo copies of what I had sent earlier, and
> they denied it because it did not have the original barcode from the item's
> box. I submitted a letter showing that "they" had lost it, yet they still
> denied it. To this day I will *never* buy one of their products, no matter
> how good the prices or rebates are.
>
> Honu.

John Doue

Barry Watzman wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>> One trick is to send the rebates with a Return Signature Required
>> card. When the envelope is delivered, a signature is required, and
>> will be returned to you. That way, you have proof that it was
>> delivered, the date it was delivered, and the name of the individual
>> who signed for it. Of course you should make photo copies of
>> everything in the envelope prior to sending it.
>>
>> I had only one bad experience; I mailed a rebate that required the
>> barcode from the box, and when they claimed they "never received it",
>> they asked me to resubmit. I sent them the photo copies of what I had
>> sent earlier, and they denied it because it did not have the original
>> barcode from the item's box. I submitted a letter showing that "they"
>> had lost it, yet they still denied it. To this day I will *never* buy
>> one of their products, no matter how good the prices or rebates are.

I have always considered the practice of mail-in rebates as, at best,
deceptive. I may be missing some fine point here but to me, this
practice is meant to show a price better than the one most people will
actually end up paying (because they won't bother with the refund's
process, or because in some cases, they will not get it). Adds look
better and more competitive!

Can someone tell me any other sound reason why companies would go to the
trouble and expense of setting up mail-in rebates? Don't tell me it is a
convoluted and expensive way of getting addresses: the items that
usually carry such mail-in rebates are high ticket items that provide
ample opportunity for any salesperson to get the buyer's address ...
assuming he is willing to give it, of course. But smarter people will
just ask for your phone number ...

I do not know of any other country where this pratice is legal but of
course, this does not mean there is none. The bottom line still is, it
is a deceptive practice, even if one can argue that there is nothing
hidden about it, just the old, buyer beware. It should not be allowed
under the truth in advertizing concept.

I make it a point to decide upon the price I have to pay at the
cashier's. Buying over the Internet is another way to avoid such hassle.
Brick and mortar shops should steer clear from used (and new, also, in
most places) car sales practices.

Regards

--
John Doue

Canon rebates mentioned on Dpreview Canon lenses forum.. no rebates for 20D? ob1cnob Digital Photography 0 03-30-2006 02:48 PM
Subscription Rebates Daveyman MCSD 4 12-10-2004 12:29 PM
Re: Microsoft rebates The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere MCSD 3 05-02-2004 05:37 PM
Re: Microsoft rebates Ashith Raj MCSD 9 04-13-2004 06:45 PM
Re: Microsoft rebates The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere MCSD 0 04-01-2004 05:22 PM

Advertisments