Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Boost the sound level into monitor speakers?

Boost the sound level into monitor speakers?

eganders

For the 2nd time I bought a monitor that has built-in speakers that the
manufacturer implies is to be plugged into the sound card of the
computer (usually shown as headphone output). Once again the sound is
so thin and lacking in volume that it almost sounds like a speaker
plugged into the line-out of a receiver. I don't see any place where
you can get a booster amplifier solely for this purpose. What am I
seeing here. Can anyone explane the reason for this Phenomenon? Is
there a way to EASILY boost the sound. I am not interested in a set of
extra speakers at this time, just a way to boost the sound into these
built-in speakers.

bmoag

That is why most separate speakers have some form of built-in amplification.
You can buy a small stereo amplifer but you will probably be happier
spending the money on better computer speakers.

Grappletech

I bought some Altec Lansings for like $25 (they have built in amps). They
are kick ass loud. I can crank up Ozzy Osbourne or AC/DC or Metallica,
etc. REAL loud, and even when I have them cranked up, the sound is still
mostly pure and good sounding. They haven't blown yet. And they look
attractive too on the desk. Heck, they even sound better than my full size
Radio Shack Archer speakers I paid $80 for.

Also check to see if any of the Windows volume slider switches are set to
mute or turned way down. You should adjust your volume properties to show
the levels for all the different volume sliders. And keep the volume
utility in your system tray.

Also check to see if the volume slider on whatever program you use isn't
turned way down low. (iTunes, RealPlayer, Wndows Media Player, etc.)