Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Video Card problem

Video Card problem

jtees4

I have a pretty old system. Was top of the line at the time. It is HP
with P4, 2.0. Still runs good, but have had an ongoing problem with
crashes caused by my NVidia file nv_4 something or other. Had this
problem for years. Would getting a new graphics/video card most likely
solve this ongoing problem. I'd like to keep this computer for a few
years. What do you all think? Thanks.

Neil Green

"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a pretty old system. Was top of the line at
>the time. It is HP
> with P4, 2.0. Still runs good, but have had an
> ongoing problem with
> crashes caused by my NVidia file nv_4 something or
> other. Had this
> problem for years. Would getting a new
> graphics/video card most likely
> solve this ongoing problem. I'd like to keep this
> computer for a few
> years. What do you all think? Thanks.

Go to the nVidia web site and download the latest
drivers.

Julian Treadwell

jtees4 wrote:
> I have a pretty old system. Was top of the line at the time. It is HP
> with P4, 2.0. Still runs good, but have had an ongoing problem with
> crashes caused by my NVidia file nv_4 something or other. Had this
> problem for years. Would getting a new graphics/video card most likely
> solve this ongoing problem. I'd like to keep this computer for a few
> years. What do you all think? Thanks.

Check www.driverguide.com for a new driver. You need to register, but
it's free.

jtees4

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:40:08 +1100, "Neil Green"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have a pretty old system. Was top of the line at
>>the time. It is HP
>> with P4, 2.0. Still runs good, but have had an
>> ongoing problem with
>> crashes caused by my NVidia file nv_4 something or
>> other. Had this
>> problem for years. Would getting a new
>> graphics/video card most likely
>> solve this ongoing problem. I'd like to keep this
>> computer for a few
>> years. What do you all think? Thanks.

>Go to the nVidia web site and download the latest
>drivers.

Been there. Done that. Works for awhile, then same stuff
happens...sometimes a matter of weeks, sometimes a matter of days.
This is what leasds me to think it may be hardware problem. Thanks
for the response.

jtees4

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:05:02 +1000, Julian Treadwell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>jtees4 wrote:
>> I have a pretty old system. Was top of the line at the time. It is HP
>> with P4, 2.0. Still runs good, but have had an ongoing problem with
>> crashes caused by my NVidia file nv_4 something or other. Had this
>> problem for years. Would getting a new graphics/video card most likely
>> solve this ongoing problem. I'd like to keep this computer for a few
>> years. What do you all think? Thanks.

>Check www.driverguide.com for a new driver. You need to register, but
>it's free.

I will check it out. Thank you.

Neil Green

"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:40:08 +1100, "Neil Green"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I have a pretty old system. Was top of the line at
>>>the time. It is HP
>>> with P4, 2.0. Still runs good, but have had an
>>> ongoing problem with
>>> crashes caused by my NVidia file nv_4 something or
>>> other. Had this
>>> problem for years. Would getting a new
>>> graphics/video card most likely
>>> solve this ongoing problem. I'd like to keep this
>>> computer for a few
>>> years. What do you all think? Thanks.

>>Go to the nVidia web site and download the latest
>>drivers.
>>

> Been there. Done that. Works for awhile, then same
> stuff
> happens...sometimes a matter of weeks, sometimes a
> matter of days.
> This is what leasds me to think it may be hardware
> problem. Thanks
> for the response.

Make sure you uninstall the card before you update the
drivers.
Don't pysically remove it, uninstall it in device
manager.
Search your PC for the NVidia file nv_4 and delete the
directory it's in after you uninstall the card but
before you reboot to load the updated drivers.

jtees4

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:54:47 +1100, "Neil Green"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:40:08 +1100, "Neil Green"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"jtees4" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>>Go to the nVidia web site and download the latest
>>>drivers.
>>>

>> Been there. Done that. Works for awhile, then same
>> stuff
>> happens...sometimes a matter of weeks, sometimes a
>> matter of days.
>> This is what leasds me to think it may be hardware
>> problem. Thanks
>> for the response.

>Make sure you uninstall the card before you update the
>drivers.
>Don't pysically remove it, uninstall it in device
>manager.
>Search your PC for the NVidia file nv_4 and delete the
>directory it's in after you uninstall the card but
>before you reboot to load the updated drivers.

I will try it tonight. Thanks.