Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New Graphics card

New Graphics card

Uncle Nobby

Hi

I'm upgrading my Graphics card on my PC.

At the moment I have a GeForce Ti 4200 128mb AGP.

Is it just a case of taking out the old one and putting in the new one or
not?
Is there any problems I may find?

Also can you recommend a good AGP graphics card.

Thanx

Neil Green

"Uncle Nobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:456b2e45$0$8711$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I'm upgrading my Graphics card on my PC.
>
> At the moment I have a GeForce Ti 4200 128mb AGP.
>
> Is it just a case of taking out the old one and
> putting in the new one or
> not?

Yes.

> Is there any problems I may find?

Uninstall the old card before you remove it, power
down the PC, remove the old card and install the new
one.
Reboot and install the drivers for the new card and
also check the vendors web site for updated drivers as
the one's that ship with the card are often out of
date.

> Also can you recommend a good AGP graphics card.

Most of the better, newer cards are PCIe, and most of
the currently available AGP cards may not be much
better than the one you have.

> Thanx

Andreas Baumgartner

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:28:20 -0000
"Uncle Nobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm upgrading my Graphics card on my PC.
>[...]
> Is there any problems I may find?

Hi

I upgraded my graphics card, about a year ago, but the card did not work at the first try. I needed to consult the seller to get that beast working. The problem was that the card needed more power than it was provided by the power supply, so i had to change the supply too, but then it worked fine (til my power supply made the mick out of my only one year old computer and wrecked the motherboard/cpu/graphics card).

> Also can you recommend a good AGP graphics card.

Cards that have Nvidia chipsets, in my opinion, are a good choice, and, they provide drivers for solaris, linux and freebsd besides windows on their own website. I made good experiences with Nvidia (I had a ASUS V 9999LE, based on NVIDIA GeForce 6800LE)

> Thanx

You're welcome

--
Andreas Baumgartner
Linux version 2.6.17-5mdv ((E-Mail Removed)) (gcc version 4.1.1 20060724 (prerelease) (4.1.1-3mdk)) #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 14:32:31 EDT 2006

Uncle Nobby

"Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:456b5861$0$2917$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Uncle Nobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message
> news:456b2e45$0$8711$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm upgrading my Graphics card on my PC.
> >
> > At the moment I have a GeForce Ti 4200 128mb AGP.
> >
> > Is it just a case of taking out the old one and
> > putting in the new one or
> > not?

> Yes.
>
> > Is there any problems I may find?

> Uninstall the old card before you remove it

Do you mean the drivers?

>, power
> down the PC, remove the old card and install the new
> one.
> Reboot and install the drivers for the new card and
> also check the vendors web site for updated drivers as
> the one's that ship with the card are often out of
> date.
>

> > Also can you recommend a good AGP graphics card.

> Most of the better, newer cards are PCIe, and most of
> the currently available AGP cards may not be much
> better than the one you have.

I have seen reviews for a GeForce 7600GS that are quite good and that I can
get for a an AGP

Neil Green

"Uncle Nobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:456c2954$0$8749$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message
> news:456b5861$0$2917$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>> "Uncle Nobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:456b2e45$0$8711$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'm upgrading my Graphics card on my PC.
>> >
>> > At the moment I have a GeForce Ti 4200 128mb AGP.
>> >
>> > Is it just a case of taking out the old one and
>> > putting in the new one or
>> > not?

>> Yes.
>>
>> > Is there any problems I may find?

>> Uninstall the old card before you remove it

> Do you mean the drivers?

More or less, yes.
In XP go to device manager (Right click My Computer
and click the hardware tab) expand the display
adapters branch, highlight your video card, right
click and uninstall it.
Then power down the PC and physically change the
cards.