Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Vista too overprotective

Vista too overprotective

Travis

I recently installed Windows Vista RTM (build 6000) Ultimate on my PC.
But I then realized very early how annoying and over protective Vista
is. Like deleting a start menu entry requires me to type my password!

I am wondering if there is a way to override this so It will act like
XP, without those annoying warning for simple tasks. Something like
TweakUI

bmoag

I predict great problems with Vista, installation and operation.
A potential absolute fiasco for Microsoft.

tony sayer

In article <eDuah.15866$(E-Mail Removed)> , bmoag
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I predict great problems with Vista, installation and operation.
>A potential absolute fiasco for Microsoft.

Well sod that then. I'll stick to my WIN 2K installation for the
foreseeable future

--
Tony Sayer

bmoag

The reason Vista upgrading will be problematic is that the dual boot
installation does not always work properly with the current public release.
Microsoft people that respond on their bulletin board say this is the final
code for the OS. Knowledgeable users will likely pick this pathway and a
significant percentage will face serious problems. The current public
release also does not feature code that allows you to roll back to your
prior OS if you chose to upgrade an existing XP install and have problems.
If this feature will be in the commercial release it has not been publicly
tested or announced. Vista requires frequent input for approval of routine
tasks, something most users will find onerous. This is Microsoft's way of
shifting its security problems onto the user. If you ok an errant process it
becomes your fault and not theirs. As there is absolutely no pressing reason
for anyone to upgrade to Vista smart people will wait until the many obvious
problems with the current public release are resolved.

Julian Treadwell

tony sayer wrote:
> In article <eDuah.15866$(E-Mail Removed)> , bmoag
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> I predict great problems with Vista, installation and operation.
>> A potential absolute fiasco for Microsoft.
>>

> Well sod that then. I'll stick to my WIN 2K installation for the
> foreseeable future

I intended to do that until well into the 22nd century, but... some new
software now will not run on W2K. In a couple of years that may be most
new software. You can't win (pun intended).

grappletech

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:eDuah.15866$Sw1.14793
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> I predict great problems with Vista, installation and operation.
> A potential absolute fiasco for Microsoft.

Yeah, just get a free copy of Linux -- Xandros for example. From what I've
heard of this new Vista; it's an absolute flaming steaming pile of $140
doggie doo. But it features new and exciting eye candy! If Microsoft had
any ethics, they'd give it away for free to 10,000 guinea pigs to find the
bugs.

I have Windows XP sp2 and Xandros Linux on all my PC's (separate
partitions).

tony sayer

In article <456b843c$(E-Mail Removed)>, Julian Treadwell
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>tony sayer wrote:
>> In article <eDuah.15866$(E-Mail Removed)> , bmoag
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>> I predict great problems with Vista, installation and operation.
>>> A potential absolute fiasco for Microsoft.
>>>

>> Well sod that then. I'll stick to my WIN 2K installation for the
>> foreseeable future
>>

>I intended to do that until well into the 22nd century, but... some new
>software now will not run on W2K. In a couple of years that may be most
>new software. You can't win (pun intended).

Sod it then if thats the case, I'm of to Linux land
--
Tony Sayer