Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HP Vista Upgrade link

HP Vista Upgrade link

- Bobb -

news:45a05dd1$0$4848$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Funny, I got the EXACT same thing at the Toshiba web site. The site
> was working, but the response time was very slow (tens of minutes).

When I clicked the link at HP.com I got a : "you are leaving our site"
security pop-up, so probably same host.
In the details of the upgrade page I read- must supply original receipt
or a " certified copy" of the register receipt. I had to send the
original to HP for my $50 rebate - what the heck is a " certified copy"?
There was no explanation on the page. So I go back to CompUSA with my
copy of the original and they produce a " certified copy" ??? Or I raise
my right hand in front of a sherrif and he certifies my copy ;-> ?

Bobb

> - Bobb - wrote:
>>

>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Just bought a new latop.
>>> It took me a while - clicking, so I'll save you the trouble:

>>> http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/c...wsvistaupgrade
>>>

>> When I just went to order my HP Vista upgrade, I was redirected and
>> this was on the webpage:
>>
>> "You have reached the Upgrade to Vista Web Site. Due to the recent
>> Asia based earthquake you may experience delays in web site
>> responsiveness while full connectivity is being restored. We
>> apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. "

Val

Certified copy should be something a notary public will do for you-check
with your bank, they usually have several notaries and will do it for free.

Actually, you don't even have to send an original or certified copy. When
you get the email response, it includes options to send a faxed copy, or
email a scanned copy. (Left hand and right hand not coordinating???)

Val

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> When I clicked the link at HP.com I got a : "you are leaving our site"
> security pop-up, so probably same host.
> In the details of the upgrade page I read- must supply original receipt or
> a " certified copy" of the register receipt. I had to send the original to
> HP for my $50 rebate - what the heck is a " certified copy"? There was no
> explanation on the page. So I go back to CompUSA with my copy of the
> original and they produce a " certified copy" ??? Or I raise my right hand
> in front of a sherrif and he certifies my copy ;-> ?
>
> Bobb

- Bobb -

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45a05dd1$0$4848$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Funny, I got the EXACT same thing at the Toshiba web site. The site
>> was working, but the response time was very slow (tens of minutes).
>>

> When I clicked the link at HP.com I got a : "you are leaving our site"
> security pop-up, so probably same host.

< snipped>
I submitted mine in January and I just got my HP Vista upgrade in the
mail. Contents is a " Readme First" sheet and 2 DVD's : 1 is a how-to
from HP and the other is the upgrade. Shipped from NC. I'll hand onto
mine until SP1 is released ( unless I HAVE to install it before a
certain date - I'll research that. Just noted the shipping label on the
envelope shows "Parcel weight: 13 lbs ". If they all show that , MSFT
is gonna take a big hit in postage

Michael B. Trausch

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:44:32 -0400, - Bobb - wrote:

> I submitted mine in January and I just got my HP Vista upgrade in the
> mail. Contents is a " Readme First" sheet and 2 DVD's : 1 is a how-to
> from HP and the other is the upgrade. Shipped from NC. I'll hand onto
> mine until SP1 is released ( unless I HAVE to install it before a
> certain date - I'll research that. Just noted the shipping label on the
> envelope shows "Parcel weight: 13 lbs ". If they all show that , MSFT
> is gonna take a big hit in postage

Shouldn't need to. Vista isn't really anything but Windows XP with some
new window dressing and new "security" features that make it harder to run
many established applications. Frankly, I wish Microsoft would either
retain 100% backward compatibility, or break it hard at every release.
There isn't any real reason to try to do something in between, because
it's a royal PITA when dealing with users.

Also, many XP drivers won't work in Vista without performance degradation,
if at all, which is unfortunate. Other operating systems are able to use
the same device drivers release after release, without breaking them or
the systems and devices that they run; you would think that Microsoft
could do the same with the size of their budget...

-- Mike

John Doue

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:44:32 -0400, - Bobb - wrote:
>
>> I submitted mine in January and I just got my HP Vista upgrade in the
>> mail. Contents is a " Readme First" sheet and 2 DVD's : 1 is a how-to
>> from HP and the other is the upgrade. Shipped from NC. I'll hand onto
>> mine until SP1 is released ( unless I HAVE to install it before a
>> certain date - I'll research that. Just noted the shipping label on the
>> envelope shows "Parcel weight: 13 lbs ". If they all show that , MSFT
>> is gonna take a big hit in postage

> Shouldn't need to. Vista isn't really anything but Windows XP with some
> new window dressing and new "security" features that make it harder to run
> many established applications. Frankly, I wish Microsoft would either
> retain 100% backward compatibility, or break it hard at every release.
> There isn't any real reason to try to do something in between, because
> it's a royal PITA when dealing with users.
>
> Also, many XP drivers won't work in Vista without performance degradation,
> if at all, which is unfortunate. Other operating systems are able to use
> the same device drivers release after release, without breaking them or
> the systems and devices that they run; you would think that Microsoft
> could do the same with the size of their budget...
>
> -- Mike

Keep your Vista upgrade disk for the day you will, if ever, sell your
machine. Until then, don't look for trouble needlessly and stay with XP.
I doubt you won't ever need to install it to run any software: except
for MS, who would be fool enough to alienate XP users?

--
John Doue