Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > UK Airports and 802.11a/g

UK Airports and 802.11a/g

Chris_D

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some guidenlines for
the use of 802.11b/g technology at and around airports.

Any help appreciated !

Drop the ZZZ to reply

Cheers ...

David Taylor

> I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some guidenlines for
> the use of 802.11b/g technology at and around airports.

In what sense? Many airports have hotspots for passengers.

Lufthansa has a WLAN on the aircraft.

Can you be more specific with the question?

David.

RedFox

"David Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) d.com...
> > I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some guidenlines for
> > the use of 802.11b/g technology at and around airports.

> In what sense? Many airports have hotspots for passengers.
>
> Lufthansa has a WLAN on the aircraft.
>
> Can you be more specific with the question?
>
> David.

I found this while searching for wi-fi info:
------------
Date Feb 26 2004
Wi-Fi in Europe's airports
Wireless Quilts (http://www.smartmobs.com/archive/cat...ss_quilts.html)
Posted by Jim_Downing at 02:43 PM
British Telecom(BT) has recently announced that it would provide wireless
internet access in 80 British Airways lounges around the globe within the
next few months while last month, T-Mobile began offering Wi-Fi service at
the Cologne-Bonn Airport. Since December, passengers have been able to log
on at Budapest's Ferihegy Airport the International Herald Tribune reports.A
senior analyst at the market research company IDC,Evelien Wiggers is quoted
as saying "Last year the main airports got it, and now it is going to the
lesser airports," In a recent report, she estimated that the number of
public wireless Internet access points, or hot spots, increased from just
more than 1,000 in Europe at the end of 2002 to 7,000 by last October. Over
the same period, the number of airport hot spots doubled, from 54 to 118.
High time for Wi-Fi at airports in Europe
(http://www.iht.com/articles/131359.html)

David Taylor

> I found this while searching for wi-fi info:
> ------------
> Date Feb 26 2004
> Wi-Fi in Europe's airports

18 months old.

To use your laptop in an airport lounge you just need a wireless card
but I think you've picked that up now.

Cisco make good cards although you pay for them. There are other good
cards out there too.

David.

Chris_D

Sorry for the dealy in updating my original request for information on
this.

I need to install a wireless bridge link (point - point using yagi's)
between two buildings but this would mean that the signal would
directly cross a small airport runway.

My question is regarding potential inteferance to and/or from the
airport radio equipment as I obviuosly don't want to cause any crashes
etc.

I have contacted the Civil Aviation Authority but have received no
reply as yet.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:25:20 GMT, David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I found this while searching for wi-fi info:
>> ------------
>> Date Feb 26 2004
>> Wi-Fi in Europe's airports

>18 months old.
>
>To use your laptop in an airport lounge you just need a wireless card
>but I think you've picked that up now.
>
>Cisco make good cards although you pay for them. There are other good
>cards out there too.
>
>David.

Drop the ZZZ to reply

Cheers ...

David Taylor

> I need to install a wireless bridge link (point - point using yagi's)
> between two buildings but this would mean that the signal would
> directly cross a small airport runway.
>
> My question is regarding potential inteferance to and/or from the
> airport radio equipment as I obviuosly don't want to cause any crashes
> etc.

Unlikely you'd have any effect on anything flying or on the ground.
Contrary to popular film myth, aircraft don't fall out of the sky due to
the odd radio transmission. You're far more likely to have an air
accident due to pilots stamping on each others radio transmissions and
thus an imporant "avoid the following mid air collision that's about to
happen chaps!" message getting through. Most light aircraft have few
electronic systems and virtually none that control the aircraft. Larger
aircraft have more electronics but better protected.

How many aircraft do you think fly on a daily basis where people forget
to turn off their wireless PDA or mobile phone?

> I have contacted the Civil Aviation Authority but have received no
> reply as yet.

Don't hold your breath on dealing with the CAA either.

David.

Colum Mylod

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:53:32 GMT, David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> I need to install a wireless bridge link (point - point using yagi's)
>> between two buildings but this would mean that the signal would
>> directly cross a small airport runway.
>>
>> My question is regarding potential inteferance to and/or from the
>> airport radio equipment as I obviuosly don't want to cause any crashes
>> etc.

>Unlikely you'd have any effect on anything flying or on the ground.

Agreed. The powers at 2.4GHz are far lower than anything like the
airport's own radar, assuming legal operation and no burners bolted
onto the output. Passengers' mobiles would be far closer and even
these are just a scare story.
--
New anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com

Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:51:05 +0100, Chris_D <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some guidenlines for
>the use of 802.11b/g technology at and around airports.
>Any help appreciated !

The local general aviation airport:
http://www.watsonvilleairport.com
has a fairly extensive 2.4Ghz wireless private LAN that some pilots
use in their hangars. There are also at least 5 point to point links
that I know about going to nearby businesses. I don't know how many
client radios are deployed but I would get well over 100. The
protocol is to inform the airport managers office that you have a
radio system and supply your contact information. It's considered bad
form to leave the WLAN running when there's nobody in the hangar so
most users turn off their radios when absent. I've been marginally
involved in trying to locate some interference sources in the past.
So far, none of the 2.4GHz equipment has been found to cause a
problem. No clue how it's done in UK.

--
Jeff Liebermann http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

David Taylor

> problem. No clue how it's done in UK.

It's no different Jeff, it's still an unlicensed band and the CAA have
no real authority over it. All the CAA are concerned with is protecting
the frequencies for the navaids and VHF/UHF radios for communications.

David.