Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Boot Problems

Boot Problems

Thomas

I have a computer that I built about 2 years ago. It has been working
great. Asus PC8000 E board with 512 ram and 200 gig hard drive and ATI
Radeon 7500 All In Wonder Card. Again it has been working great but a few
weeks ago our power went off. When it came back and I rebooted
it would not boot. It would go to the F5 screen and it would
let me boot into safe mode. When in safe mode I would reboot and it would
boot up again the right way. Yesterday I had to
reboot it and now it will only boot into safe mode. Today I booted into
safe mode and uninstalled the video card and then it did boot up fine. I
then found new video drivers and to test it I rebooted again. Now it will
not boot up again except for safe mode. Ive tried unplugging all the
devices and then booting up that that did not work. Nothing I do will let
it boot normal, just into safe mode. When it did boot up, it worked fine
with no problems. Could this be a hardware problem or a driver problem?
The last thing I installed was Norton System Works. I don't really think
that is the problem but who knows. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

- Bobb -

From that "safe mode" screen, if you elect 'Normal', does it work
"normally" ?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
to check your files.
Let us know the results

It was OK ? then ..

My computer - right-click on your C drive - properties. From the Tools
tab - run "Check Now". Then check both boxes " scan for " and
"automatically fix". It will tell you that you need to reboot to have it
do so - let it reboot.
That will scan for " bad files" and rename them ( in the given folder)
to filecheck001, 002 etc
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bkscandisk98.html

Let us know

"Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SM_5h.24831$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I have a computer that I built about 2 years ago. It has been working
> great. Asus PC8000 E board with 512 ram and 200 gig hard drive and
> ATI
> Radeon 7500 All In Wonder Card. Again it has been working great but a
> few
> weeks ago our power went off. When it came back and I rebooted
> it would not boot. It would go to the F5 screen and it would
> let me boot into safe mode. When in safe mode I would reboot and it
> would
> boot up again the right way. Yesterday I had to
> reboot it and now it will only boot into safe mode. Today I booted
> into
> safe mode and uninstalled the video card and then it did boot up fine.
> then found new video drivers and to test it I rebooted again. Now it
> will
> not boot up again except for safe mode. Ive tried unplugging all the
> devices and then booting up that that did not work. Nothing I do will
> let
> it boot normal, just into safe mode. When it did boot up, it worked
> fine
> with no problems. Could this be a hardware problem or a driver
> problem?
> The last thing I installed was Norton System Works. I don't really
> think
> that is the problem but who knows. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Tom

Thomas

This turned out to be the on board lan card. Turned it off and all is fine.
It must have gone out?