Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco cpu % monitoring

cisco cpu % monitoring

yo

is there a way to log cpu usuage on a 1600/2600 and mem/enviroment
conditions to the buffered log. I think i have a cisco thats droping
the wan connection because of high cpu usage.

thanks

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, yo <> wrote:
:is there a way to log cpu usuage on a 1600/2600 and mem/enviroment
:conditions to the buffered log. I think i have a cisco thats droping
:the wan connection because of high cpu usage.

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...b0c666c38a8841
-- Rich Kulawiec

yo

Thanks Walter, i guess you can't have cpu warnings displayed on the
cisco router log!? I was thinking of setting up mrtg if this was not
possible.

Is there any tips that I can use to free up more cpu, such as ip
route-cache on 1600's and 2600's handling high traffic in/out?

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:09:36 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca
(Walter Roberson) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, yo <> wrote:
>:is there a way to log cpu usuage on a 1600/2600 and mem/enviroment
>:conditions to the buffered log. I think i have a cisco thats droping
>:the wan connection because of high cpu usage.
>
>http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...b0c666c38a8841

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, yo <> wrote:

:Thanks Walter, i guess you can't have cpu warnings displayed on the
:cisco router log!? I was thinking of setting up mrtg if this was not
ossible.

Sorry, I don't know IOS well enough to know the answer to that.

:Is there any tips that I can use to free up more cpu, such as ip
:route-cache on 1600's and 2600's handling high traffic in/out?

I do not work with IOS much, so this is all going by memory of what
I've read online:

- the 1600 and 2600 do not, if I recall correctly, have real
distributed processing of packets, so it is best not to do
per-packet load balancing with them

- In the last few major releases, CEF is the most efficient, but
before that on the low end devices, process switching
was more efficient than CEF.

- packet inspection takes real CPU time on the 1600/2600, so use
minimal 'inspect' and IDS features.

- on the low end devices, there is a noticable penalty in ACLs
for the first entry that extracts layer 4 information (port numbers);
this penalty is not paid in the ACL processing until that point,
and is not paid again for that packet for any other later entries that
need the information. Thus if you are CPU bound, move the port checks
further down or eliminate them

- if you have ACLs that block all traffic to certain destinations,
then in many Cisco devices, it is more efficient to remove that ACL
entry and route that destination to NULL0. I do not know if this
holds for policy based routing

- nat translation tables take time and memory

- syslog takes resources. If you are logging for accounting
purposes, netflow is more efficient

- serial console takes a lot of resources. If you need to manage
the device, telnet/ssh is a lot more efficient; and set up the
logging levels so that only the really important things get logged
to the serial port. If you are CPU bound, then sending debug
traffic to the serial console is really hard on the device.

- if you don't have a VPN accelerator, then ssh to the device is
harder on the device than telnet

- if you don't have a VPN accelarator, any kind of VPN tunnel
(e.g., IPSec, PPTP, GRE) is a drain on the device CPU.
--
Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann