Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > annoying message boxes

annoying message boxes

Jeremy Watts

how do you get rid of those rectangular light brown boxes that appear
whenever the cursor is allowed to rest on anything of any importance? i
find them annoying beyond belief and have tried everything to get rid of
them with no success.

i mean how pointless are they? the thing already says on it what it is
usually, or if not its completely obvious what it is then that irritating
brown box appears telling you something you dont need telling and also
blocks what you're looking at at the same time..

Tee Jay

Jeremy Watts wrote:
> how do you get rid of those rectangular light brown boxes that appear
> whenever the cursor is allowed to rest on anything of any importance? i
> find them annoying beyond belief and have tried everything to get rid of
> them with no success.
>
> i mean how pointless are they? the thing already says on it what it is
> usually, or if not its completely obvious what it is then that irritating
> brown box appears telling you something you dont need telling and also
> blocks what you're looking at at the same time..

here ya go
> Enable/Disable Tool Tip Displays
>
> This tweak removes tool tips from appearing when the mouse moves across items that support the display of tool tips.
>

> [Start] [Run] [Regedit]
> Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced
> Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: ShowInfoTip
> Modify/Create the Value Name [ShowInfoTip] according to the Value Data listed below.
> Value Data: [0 - ShowInfoTip Disabled / 1 - ShowInfoTip Enabled]
> Exit Registry and Reboot

credit goes to http://www.theeldergeek.com/tool_tip_displays.htm

Tee Jay

Jeremy Watts

"Tee Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Jeremy Watts wrote:
> > how do you get rid of those rectangular light brown boxes that appear
> > whenever the cursor is allowed to rest on anything of any importance? i
> > find them annoying beyond belief and have tried everything to get rid of
> > them with no success.
> >
> > i mean how pointless are they? the thing already says on it what it is
> > usually, or if not its completely obvious what it is then that

irritating
> > brown box appears telling you something you dont need telling and also
> > blocks what you're looking at at the same time..
> >

> here ya go
> > Enable/Disable Tool Tip Displays
> >
> > This tweak removes tool tips from appearing when the mouse moves across

items that support the display of tool tips.

> > [Start] [Run] [Regedit]
> > Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance
> > Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: ShowInfoTip
> > Modify/Create the Value Name [ShowInfoTip] according to the Value Data

listed below.
> > Value Data: [0 - ShowInfoTip Disabled / 1 - ShowInfoTip Enabled]
> > Exit Registry and Reboot
> >

> credit goes to http://www.theeldergeek.com/tool_tip_displays.htm
>
> Tee Jay

thanks, but i followed those steps and it still doesnt work... i brought
up the 'value data box' and there was already a zero there, so anyway i
deleted it and put the zero back, restarted and still they appear... i
even tried putting a 1 there and it still doesnt knock it off... i swear
this is revenge for something ive done in a past life..

Alan Justice

reboot?

--
- Alan Justice

"Jeremy Watts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r9M3h.14264$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tee Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Jeremy Watts wrote:
> > > how do you get rid of those rectangular light brown boxes that appear
> > > whenever the cursor is allowed to rest on anything of any importance?

> > > find them annoying beyond belief and have tried everything to get rid

of
> > > them with no success.
> > >
> > > i mean how pointless are they? the thing already says on it what it

is
> > > usually, or if not its completely obvious what it is then that

> irritating
> > > brown box appears telling you something you dont need telling and also
> > > blocks what you're looking at at the same time..
> > >

> > here ya go
> > > Enable/Disable Tool Tip Displays
> > >
> > > This tweak removes tool tips from appearing when the mouse moves

across
> items that support the display of tool tips.
> > >

> > > [Start] [Run] [Regedit]
> > > Registry Key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance
> > > Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: ShowInfoTip
> > > Modify/Create the Value Name [ShowInfoTip] according to the Value Data

> listed below.
> > > Value Data: [0 - ShowInfoTip Disabled / 1 - ShowInfoTip Enabled]
> > > Exit Registry and Reboot
> > >

> > credit goes to http://www.theeldergeek.com/tool_tip_displays.htm
> >
> > Tee Jay

> thanks, but i followed those steps and it still doesnt work... i brought
> up the 'value data box' and there was already a zero there, so anyway i
> deleted it and put the zero back, restarted and still they appear... i
> even tried putting a 1 there and it still doesnt knock it off... i swear
> this is revenge for something ive done in a past life..

Jeremy Watts

"Alan Justice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1tN3h.3005$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> reboot?

is rebooting the same as restarting??

> --
> - Alan Justice
>
> "Jeremy Watts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:r9M3h.14264$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Tee Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

appear

importance?

rid
> of

it
> is

> > irritating

also

> > > here ya go

> across
> > items that support the display of tool tips.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance

Data
> > listed below.
> > > >

> > > credit goes to http://www.theeldergeek.com/tool_tip_displays.htm
> > >
> > > Tee Jay

> > thanks, but i followed those steps and it still doesnt work... i

brought
> > up the 'value data box' and there was already a zero there, so anyway i
> > deleted it and put the zero back, restarted and still they appear... i
> > even tried putting a 1 there and it still doesnt knock it off... i swear
> > this is revenge for something ive done in a past life..

Alan Justice

I rember hating that term when all it really means is "turn it off, then on
again." Sometimes settings don't take effect until the comuter restarts.

--
- Alan Justice

"Jeremy Watts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uMN3h.5751$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Alan Justice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1tN3h.3005$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > reboot?

> is rebooting the same as restarting??
>

> > --
> > - Alan Justice
> >
> > "Jeremy Watts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:r9M3h.14264$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Tee Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> appear

> importance?

> rid
> > of

> it
> > is
> > > irritating

> also

> > across
> > > items that support the display of tool tips.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advance

> Data
> > > listed below.

> > > thanks, but i followed those steps and it still doesnt work... i

> brought
> > > up the 'value data box' and there was already a zero there, so anyway

> > > deleted it and put the zero back, restarted and still they appear...

> > > even tried putting a 1 there and it still doesnt knock it off... i

swear
> > > this is revenge for something ive done in a past life..

Jeremy Watts

"Alan Justice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eoP3h.3175$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I rember hating that term when all it really means is "turn it off, then

on
> again." Sometimes settings don't take effect until the comuter restarts.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

sadly yes i did restart and it didnt work.. i just dont get it, the 0 was
definitely displayed when i first brought the box up