Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to set time on kid's internet access

How to set time on kid's internet access

atec77

Sam wrote:
> Hello
> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that
> I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some advice on
> how to do it.
> We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
> Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
> I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set on
> a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting controls
> on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an optimist.
> Thank you in advance
> Samantha

Place the computer in a family area , his usage will go WAY down , now
guess what he is not doing in the dark to such a degree.
Other than that set a limit on the barricade to his ip and it might
allow you to also set times of use but moving it makes much more sense .

Whatcher?

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
> that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
> advice on how to do it.
> We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
> Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
> I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
> on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
> controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
> optimist.
> Thank you in advance
> Samantha

Simple way - go to the router, pull the power pack out of the wall and the
router and take it to YOUR room with you. No ADSL then.

Whatcher?

"Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
> that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
> advice on how to do it.
> We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
> Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
> I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
> on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
> controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
> optimist.
> Thank you in advance
> Samantha

PS,

Those people telling you to set different times at the router - if the kid
has access to the router and knows enough, it would take only a few minutes
for him to completely reset it, enter the logon account details and get in
again which is why I say to pull the power pack out and take it into your
room with you. I can tell you that if he shoves the wrong power pack in it,
he risks burning it out. Tell him that in case he gets ideas.

David Fairbrother

Whatcher? wrote:
> "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hello
>>I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
>>that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
>>advice on how to do it.
>>We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
>>Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
>>I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
>>on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
>>controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
>>optimist.
>>Thank you in advance
>>Samantha
>>

> PS,
>
> Those people telling you to set different times at the router - if the kid
> has access to the router and knows enough, it would take only a few minutes
> for him to completely reset it, enter the logon account details and get in
> again which is why I say to pull the power pack out and take it into your
> room with you.

yes, but..
> I can tell you that if he shoves the wrong power pack in it,
> he risks burning it out. Tell him that in case he gets ideas.

you mean the actual power pack plug? he removes it, moves it to another
room and plugs it back in. unless i'm mistaken and i have no idea what
you're talking about...he'd need to have a negative IQ to do that.

Rod Speed

Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that I can switch off his
>> access at 11pm each night. I am after some advice on how to do it.

> Here's some advice....better parenting.

Easy to say.

> 1) Get the computer out of his smelly bedroom.

Stupid approach.

> 2) Your the parent, if you say No, then that's the end of it.

Then there's the real world.

> Can't you trust him enough to do as told? Obviously he's not disciplined enough if he won't do as
> he is told.

Pathetic, really.

Rod Speed

Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that I can switch off his
> access at 11pm each night.

Dont forget who will be picking your nursing home.

> I am after some advice on how to do it.

> We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC Barricade. All computers
> use Windows XP.

> I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set on a timer that I can
> control. I dont want to have to do it by setting controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is
> no, but I am an optimist.

Its quite easy to do if you trust him to not molest his system.

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rod Speed
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that I

>can switch off his
>> access at 11pm each night.

>Dont forget who will be picking your nursing home.

LOL!,, Unless you've spent his inheritance first)

--
Tony Sayer

Sam

Wow! So simple. Thank you for this advice. You are so insightful being able
to sum up the situation so quickly. Do you have an advice column I can
consult for all my other parenting issues?

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45448f7b$0$21086$(E-Mail Removed) u...

>> "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello
>>> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
>>> that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
>>> advice on how to do it.

> Here's some advice....better parenting.
>
> 1) Get the computer out of his smelly bedroom.
>
> 2) Your the parent, if you say No, then that's the end of it. Can't you
> trust him enough to do as told? Obviously he's not disciplined enough if
> he won't do as he is told.

Sam

I trust him otherwise it would not be in his room. Sometimes the temptation
to chat etc is too hard to resist. There are enough hours before 11pm to do
whatever he wants or needs to do on the net and we have agreed on a time as
an override. I just want to know how to do it.

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rod Speed
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
>>> that I

>>can switch off his
>>> access at 11pm each night.

>>Dont forget who will be picking your nursing home.

> LOL!,, Unless you've spent his inheritance first)
>
>>> I am after some advice on how to do it.

>>> We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC

>>Barricade. All computers
>>> use Windows XP.

>>> I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access
>>> set on a

>>timer that I can
>>> control. I dont want to have to do it by setting controls on his
>>> computer. I

>>suspect the answer is
>>> no, but I am an optimist.

>>Its quite easy to do if you trust him to not molest his system.
>>

> --
> Tony Sayer

Whatcher?

"David Fairbrother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yz11h.55309$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whatcher? wrote:
>> "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Hello
>>>I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
>>>that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
>>>advice on how to do it.
>>>We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
>>>Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
>>>I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
>>>on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
>>>controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
>>>optimist.
>>>Thank you in advance
>>>Samantha
>>>

>> PS,
>>
>> Those people telling you to set different times at the router - if the
>> kid has access to the router and knows enough, it would take only a few
>> minutes for him to completely reset it, enter the logon account details
>> and get in again which is why I say to pull the power pack out and take
>> it into your room with you.

> yes, but..
>> I can tell you that if he shoves the wrong power pack in it, he risks
>> burning it out. Tell him that in case he gets ideas.

> you mean the actual power pack plug? he removes it, moves it to another
> room and plugs it back in. unless i'm mistaken and i have no idea what
> you're talking about...he'd need to have a negative IQ to do that.

I don't know if you entirely understand. You have a power pack for a
particular router. You take that power pack, as the parent, to your room
when you go to bed. The router is left where it is, no power supplied. If
the kid has yet another power pack for something else with the same plug
that can go into the power hole on the router and plugs it in, if it isn't
the right power output, he can burn the router out. I had to replace one at
a medical surgery last month that did EXACTLY that.

That is why I say to take the power pack and warn the kid what could happen
to scare the crap out of it.