Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > usb stick or memory card as primary harddrive

usb stick or memory card as primary harddrive

Fonz

I'm designing a UAV (unmanned auto..vehicle (Aircraft)) and want to put a
small form factor motherboard onboard as controller. With this sort of
thing weight is always a factor, so I want to shed it. The power supply is
gone and will be replaced with an onboard alternator with regulator to power
the computer, servos, receiver, GPS and telemetry.
BUT.
A hard drive weighs heaps, and is succeptible to vibration, and worse, big
bump bad landings.
Is is possible to use memmory cards or usb sticks as the primary, is suppose
'C' drive, and another replaceable for the user defined info, 'D' drive, and
get rid of hard drives altogether? I've seen USB up to 5GB, and memory cards
to 4GB.
Many thanks in advance,
Rob.

Baron

Fonz wrote:

> I'm designing a UAV (unmanned auto..vehicle (Aircraft)) and want to
> put a
> small form factor motherboard onboard as controller. With this sort
> of
> thing weight is always a factor, so I want to shed it. The power
> supply is gone and will be replaced with an onboard alternator with
> regulator to power the computer, servos, receiver, GPS and telemetry.
> BUT.
> A hard drive weighs heaps, and is succeptible to vibration, and worse,
> big bump bad landings.
> Is is possible to use memmory cards or usb sticks as the primary, is
> suppose 'C' drive, and another replaceable for the user defined info,
> 'D' drive, and get rid of hard drives altogether? I've seen USB up to
> 5GB, and memory cards to 4GB.
> Many thanks in advance,
> Rob.

Yes ! You can do this quite easily ! The board must be able to boot
from the device used. Ie USB or floppy adaptor etc.

There is a very small form board, about 3" x 4" with a card slot that
does this. Can't remember the manufacturer of the top of my head !
HTH.