Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Install Printer Driver (Win98) Without System CD

Install Printer Driver (Win98) Without System CD

Brad

Hi,

I bought an older HP "Laser Jet" 6L printer at a yard sale.
This printer connects to the parallel port (no USB) and that is just
fine since I am using a Windows 98 desktop computer. I downloaded the
Windows 98 driver for this model printer.

When I connected the printer, turned it on, then turned on the computer,
Windows didn't give me an option to install the driver I downloaded. Instead,
it "built a driver database" and requested the Windows 98SE system CD!
Note: I didn't need the driver I downloaded.

If I didn't have the Windows 98SE system CD, how does one "get around"
this and install the driver from a different source?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Baron

Brad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I bought an older HP "Laser Jet" 6L printer at a yard sale.
> This printer connects to the parallel port (no USB) and that is just
> fine since I am using a Windows 98 desktop computer. I downloaded the
> Windows 98 driver for this model printer.
>
> When I connected the printer, turned it on, then turned on the
> computer,
> Windows didn't give me an option to install the driver I downloaded.
> Instead, it "built a driver database" and requested the Windows 98SE
> system CD!
> Note: I didn't need the driver I downloaded.
>
> If I didn't have the Windows 98SE system CD, how does one "get
> around"
> this and install the driver from a different source?
>
> Thanks in advance, Brad
>
> Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
> be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

It would seem you need the W98SE files ! There must be thousands of W98
CD's kicking around.... Ebay perhaps !

bmoag

First read the instructions for installing the driver.
Perhaps you are supposed to install the driver before you connect the
printer to the parallel port?
If you do it your way cancel out of the Windows box looking for the drivers
on the Windows CD.
If the printer is seen under control panel/system/hardware then you can
direct Windows to the drivers you have.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...