Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > BIOS question

BIOS question

Bob

I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a split decision on how
virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in bios - an external
virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can exist inside the
bios chip. With that being said, here's a few questions:

- If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one delete it?
- Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled condition?
- Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is it just for the
clock?
- If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus is "detected" just
prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably exist?

The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a hard drive. I get
random error messages that are totally unrelated. Sometimes I can boot
to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other times the boot
process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is clean. Two
different OS's on two different CD's act the same - the loading process
starts but early into the process messages about missing or corrupt
files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are random on most every
boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any thoughts?

Bob

VWWall

Bob wrote:
> I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a split decision on how
> virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in bios - an external
> virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can exist inside the
> bios chip. With that being said, here's a few questions:
>
> - If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one delete it?
> - Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled condition?
> - Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is it just for the
> clock?

A weak battery could affect all those changes made from the defaults.

> - If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus is "detected" just
> prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably exist?

Could be a boot virus.

> The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a hard drive. I get
> random error messages that are totally unrelated. Sometimes I can boot
> to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other times the boot
> process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is clean. Two
> different OS's on two different CD's act the same - the loading process
> starts but early into the process messages about missing or corrupt
> files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are random on most every
> boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any thoughts?

Check the memory--run a memory check program for some time, like overnight.

--
Virg Wall

Neil Green

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a
> split decision on how
> virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in
> bios - an external
> virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can
> exist inside the
> bios chip. With that being said, here's a few
> questions:
>
> - If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one
> delete it?
> - Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled
> condition?
> - Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is
> it just for the
> clock?
> - If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus
> is "detected" just
> prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably
> exist?
>
> The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a
> hard drive. I get
> random error messages that are totally unrelated.
> Sometimes I can boot
> to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other
> times the boot
> process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is
> clean. Two
> different OS's on two different CD's act the same -
> the loading process
> starts but early into the process messages about
> missing or corrupt
> files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are
> random on most every
> boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Bob

More likely faulty RAM.
If you have two sticks in the machine swap them out
one at a time to see if the problem persists.
If only one, try and borrow some known good RAM or run
a diagnostic.

Mark Mandell

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've googled "bios virus" and there seems to be a split decision on how
> virii affect bios. Some say a virus cannot exist in bios - an external
> virus just scrambles bios data. Others say it can exist inside the
> bios chip. With that being said, here's a few questions:
>
> - If the virus can exist inside bios, how does one delete it?
> - Does "restore bios defaults" correct an scrambled condition?
> - Would a weak battery affect bios stability or is it just for the
> clock?
> - If the bios virus checker is enabled and a virus is "detected" just
> prior to booting into DOS, does a virus probably exist?
>
> The problem I'm having is I cannot load an OS onto a hard drive. I get
> random error messages that are totally unrelated. Sometimes I can boot
> to a bootable floppy but cannot change drives. Other times the boot
> process freezes. The HD has been reformatted and is clean. Two
> different OS's on two different CD's act the same - the loading process
> starts but early into the process messages about missing or corrupt
> files stop the loading. Like I said, symptoms are random on most every
> boot, which leads me to think bios virus. Any thoughts?
>
> Bob

In addition to the RAM chip swapping, check out memtest86.com. You'll need
to run this several hours either from a floppy or a CD. Whichever is used,
make certain it's the first device in the BIOS setup to boot from.