Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Router: can I disable the firewall?

Router: can I disable the firewall?

ijones@TOGLIinterfree.it

Hi, I have just bought Netgear DG834GT. I'd like to disable the router
firewall and to install Outpost firewall. I know well Outpost and I'd
like to use it.
Can you tell me if the router will have problems without its firewall?
Thanks

Duane Arnold

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have just bought Netgear DG834GT. I'd like to disable the router
> firewall and to install Outpost firewall. I know well Outpost and I'd
> like to use it.
> Can you tell me if the router will have problems without its firewall?
> Thanks

Are you serious? Outpost is not even a FW solution. Outpost is a machine
level personal packet filter. A FW separates two networks. A FW protects
from the network it's protecting from usually the Internet and protects the
network it's protecting the LAN. The LAN can be a single or multiple
machines behind the router.

The NAT router is a border device, the first device behind the modem , and
is the first line of defense from the attacks from the Internet for a home
user, by not forwarding unsolicited inbound traffic to a machine on the LAN.
NAT in that regard acts in a FW like manner, but NAT is not FW software. If
that router has additional implemented FW software such as SPI or other such
software in the router's firmware acting in a FW like manner, then you
should NOT be trying to disable it.

This link talks about the protection that a NAT router provides and you
should let the NAT router do its job.

This link talks about *what does a Internet/network FW do?*, whether that be
a host based or appliance based solution such as a packet filtering FW
router or FW appliance, which a personal FW/packet filter is not FW
software.

http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/r...irewalls1.html

This link talks about FW solutions and at the bottom, it again. talks about
the personal FW/packet filter and why it's not FW software, just an
impersonator.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

However, the link talks about wireless protection, which a personal packet
filter such as Outpost running on the machine can protect from a wireless
hacker joining your wireless network and attacking machine wired or
wireless.

http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wire...aa112203_2.htm

If you have any common sense, you'll not disable anything on that NAT router
that's providing protection from the Internet.

Duane

ijones@TOGLIinterfree.it

THANKS a lot for your pleasant news.